Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Law School Online
While the ABA doesn't like the idea of online law degrees, all those law schools were forced online during the first year of the pandemic.  So how did that go?
Law Schools' Forced Shift Online Offers Insights for Future (gallup.com)
I think Syracuse has a hybrid law program
Specially in law I do not see the problem to study it online. Many countries have law degrees online. The difference is that the type of law is different.
Maybe for the US a hybrid system will be good to combine theory and practice for the presentations and social interactions. In my opinion, in the theory aspect of the study,the online method is good.
I remember a school called Mid-Atlantic School of Law. You paid $100 per class, 15 classes, all sent and received by email. It used Gilbert's Outlines for textbooks.

The school was clowned heavily online, but one graduated student went on to petition the state of New Jersey through a documented legal battle (the very interesting case notes used to be available online), he won, got the shot to sit for the bar, passed on the first try, and went on to be a licensed and practicing Attorney.

The owner of the one-man school, Baxter Paschal, died and the school disappeared. Someone bought the school name and domain and advertised that the school was coming back but that appears to have fallen off.
[-] The following 2 users Like eLearner's post:
  • GoodYellowDogs, ss20ts
I really wonder with the ABA's issue is. It's 2021 and even without the pandemic online learning has become HUGE and is continuing to grow not decrease. There are paralegal programs available online taking the same law courses and using the exact same textbooks. It's ok for paralegals but not lawyers? Why?
(08-08-2021, 10:32 AM)ss20ts Wrote: I really wonder with the ABA's issue is. It's 2021 and even without the pandemic online learning has become HUGE and is continuing to grow not decrease. There are paralegal programs available online taking the same law courses and using the exact same textbooks. It's ok for paralegals but not lawyers? Why?

With there still being a stigma in that field against online learning, they figure since Paralegals don't try cases and their work has to be to reviewed by licensed Attorneys, the level of risk clients would be exposed to is controlled and contained by checks and balances. Personally, I feel that thinking is flawed because if an online law student is allowed to take and pass the bar, he/she will have proven the necessary competence to be a licensed Attorney the same way their offline counterparts have.
Just because one attends law school and passes the Bar certainly doesn't make them a competent attorney. Just look at how many are brought up on ethical violations and disbarred and sanctioned. I wonder how much of the anti-online ideology has to do with this is the way it has always been done and it was good enough for me....blah blah blah....mentality we see in many things in life. I'd also be curious to see the age, sex, and race of those in the ABA who determine these policies. Is this another wealthy old white man group running the show or is there diversity? I'd also be curious to see what their law firms are like. Do they still have a room full of file cabinets or have they embraced technology?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • rachel83az
(08-08-2021, 11:03 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Just because one attends law school and passes the Bar certainly doesn't make them a competent attorney. Just look at how many are brought up on ethical violations and disbarred and sanctioned. I wonder how much of the anti-online ideology has to do with this is the way it has always been done and it was good enough for me....blah blah blah....mentality we see in many things in life. I'd also be curious to see the age, sex, and race of those in the ABA who determine these policies. Is this another wealthy old white man group running the show or is there diversity? I'd also be curious to see what their law firms are like. Do they still have a room full of file cabinets or have they embraced technology?

That's not quite what I said. I said that they have proven the necessary competence to become a licensed Attorney, not that they have proven to be a competent Attorney. Those two things are very different. Possessing the necessary competence to become a licensed anything is proven during the learning and testing phase. Proving competence during practice can only be done during the post-licensing and practice phase.

As for ethics and such, that's a separate issue. You can be a brilliant Attorney who is very unethical. Many have been and continue to be, and many people would argue that Lawyers are unethical by the nature of the job they do and there is some credence to that position. After all, Lawyers are there to prove and defend what's legal which often times shows that what's legal isn't always ethical.
ABA still believes in the Socratic method, which can only be done online through live courses. For now, we're only going to see hybrid programs, and they're not all that convenient due to the live online class requirements and campus visits.

If ABA were to look at the correspondence and online law schools approved for the Bar in California, and they probably have, they would see abysmal Bar pass rates.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
http://law.syr.edu/admissions/online-jd-program/
[-] The following 1 user Likes newdegree's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 314 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 321 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 270 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,345 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,352 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,018 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree