Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving address off of resume?
When I apply for jobs most of the time I know who the employer is but in cases like Craigslist where you do not know whether it is an actual company, my spouse prefers that I leave our mailing address off of my resume or CV. That's something I had never really thought about before. Do you think that is a redflag to employer's? Do you think it's okay to leave it off? If you do leave it off, should you mention in the cover letter why you left it off or would that make you seem paranoid?

BTW, I'm not job hunting but I was working on my resume this weekend. I have my "real" resume which I am adding my BS from COSC to (which I will have in just 2 months now) and my dream resume which has all the credentials and experience I could ever want and I use that as my goal list.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
hummmm that's an interesting question, and one I hadn't thought of either. That's probably not a bad idea. I think you could fill up the header enough as to not have to explain it in the cover letter. I think that you could give enough info for them to reach out off Craigslist, but not give away your house addy or looking like you needed a tin foil hat.

Solil O. Quy
My town, USA
email : ccccccccc@ccc.ccc
primary phone: 333-333-3333
Hey, us folks with the tin foil hats are the vanguard of the new normal. About 15 years ago, someone in HR posted names and SSNs where any staff could see them. I went around and redacted my SSN, and called HR. She didn't seem at all bothered by what she had done. In fact, not a few weeks later, she did the same thing. I again redacted my SSN, and called her. My boss likened me to a co-worker who was, well, just plain odd. Now? No one would even think of putting an SSN out there. My new weirdness? I don't have my real name on those loyalty cards. At some point, someone might decide to link up the storey of my life. Then, they'd sell it for a sleep aid, and I wouldn't even be recompensed!
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
LaterBloomer Wrote:Hey, us folks with the tin foil hats are the vanguard of the new normal. About 15 years ago, someone in HR posted names and SSNs where any staff could see them. I went around and redacted my SSN, and called HR. She didn't seem at all bothered by what she had done. In fact, not a few weeks later, she did the same thing. I again redacted my SSN, and called her. My boss likened me to a co-worker who was, well, just plain odd. Now? No one would even think of putting an SSN out there. My new weirdness? I don't have my real name on those loyalty cards. At some point, someone might decide to link up the storey of my life. Then, they'd sell it for a sleep aid, and I wouldn't even be recompensed!

Yes, you are right. In the age of identity theft, craigslist killers, and other unknown dangers, it's important to keep as much information to yourself as possible. If a business is going to advertise anonymously on the internet so they don't receive unsolicited phone calls or inquiries, then it makes sense that a person applying for a job also wants to protect some aspect of their identity from would be predators posing as employers.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I’m Leaving New York City. More than half a million people left New York in 2022 LevelUP 22 375 Yesterday, 03:34 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  PayPal - Asking for ID and address confirmation bjcheung77 7 757 03-08-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: Old Guy
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,124 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Resume Rewrite from Indeed Vle045 6 760 06-22-2022, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Keep student email address? Vle045 10 1,700 04-23-2021, 11:15 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Resumé Writer recommendations SDO 5 1,689 05-09-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: asianphd
  Resume advise Rustydroid 3 1,542 10-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about resume Imbanewbie 8 2,127 08-21-2019, 12:26 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Job Interview, Resume and Cover Letter Tips natshar 3 1,069 08-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Education Section of Job Resume katelynn 14 2,609 05-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Last Post: dfrecore