Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk Human Resource Management (HRM) Grad Programs!
Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

It's just weird here.  Big Grin

I'm wondering, with all of my years of experience, if I should attempt to go straight to taking the SPHR. Of course, I'm concerned about even passing the PHR, but maybe I should keep that in mind.
Bachelor of Arts: Psychology - TESU (pending conferral)
120/120 units complete

SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources)
Anticipated Completion Date: 3/31/2019

Master of Human Resource Management - CSU Global
Start Date: 7/1/2019
(11-08-2018, 03:22 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

I'm wondering, with all of my years of experience, if I should attempt to go straight to taking the SPHR. Of course, I'm concerned about even passing the PHR, but maybe I should keep that in mind.

I'm in the SF Bay area which isn't that far from Sac, and I can confirm that PHR/SPHR is pretty much looked at as the minimum bar for HR professionals here. When you get to the senior management levels, GPHR starts becoming a thing in bigger (particularly multinational) companies.

FYI, my wife's family lives in Sacramento (Rocklin area), so we're pretty familiar with the area. There is a possibility we may eventually move that way at some point. It seems way too hot for me though. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
(11-08-2018, 03:22 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

I think you should take the PHR, and then wait a few months and take the SPHR (although I'm not sure it matters much).  You might also consider the SHRM-CP exam.  Or one of the CCP or CBP courses/exams if you're wanting to go in either of those directions (I loved working in Compensation and got 5 courses through it before leaving the workforce).  Those are a doozy, but so much more specific than the PHR - I thought most were very interesting.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
I'm in a similar boat, and once I finish my BSBA-HR I'm looking at ether Fort Hayes or CSU-Global as well. I've seen some other programs in the $12k range, but they are all MBA-HR, which wouldn't meet your needs.

Most of the higher level HR job postings I see here (Bay Area) ask for "Masters in related field" and HR certifications. So I don't think the actual degree will be as important, especially if you have the certification. For ~$400, even with a 50% pass rate, I think you'll have better luck getting the cert first then working on a Masters. I believe you meet the experience requirements for both PHR or SPHR regardless of your degrees, so you could always look into practice tests to see which one you think you can pass.

I myself am planning on taking either the aPHR or PHR after I've finished my BSBA.
TESU, BSBA-HR Completed December 2020

Completed: B&M CC: 67 units applied to degree Study.com: Principles of Management, Principles of Marketing, Computing, International Business, Library Science, Managerial Accounting, Leading Organizational Change, Finance, Organizational Theory, Strategic Human Resources (30 units) Davar: Organizational Behavior, Managerial Communication (6 units) Sophia: Microeconomics, Statistics, College Algebra, Conflict Resolution, Leading Teams (11 units) Institutes: Ethics (2 units) TESU: Business Capstone, Cornerstone (4 units)

Next up: Researching Master's Programs
Have you considered Amberton University? They offer a MS in Human Resource Training and Development. They also offer a MS in Human Relations and Business. They also offer a variety of specializations which are very compatible with Human Resources. Website: http://www.amberton.edu

I also seem to remember they are pretty cheap. The semesters may be shorter too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacricolist's post:
  • Nodaclu
(11-20-2018, 11:01 PM)Sacricolist Wrote: Have you considered Amberton University?  They offer a MS in Human Resource Training and Development. They also offer a MS in Human Relations and Business. They also offer a variety of specializations which are very compatible with Human Resources.  Website: http://www.amberton.edu

I also seem to remember they are pretty cheap.  The semesters may be shorter too.

They are only $265/cr + ~160/course for textbooks, so $11,460.  Works out to $955/course which is a great price for a MA degree.  And they offer 4 10-week terms per year, which is SO much better than a 16-week semester.  Have I mentioned how much I loathe semesters???
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
So - at this point - here's where my thoughts are leaning (and still subject to change over the weeks and months ahead...)

On 12/13/18, I'll complete my last UExcel exam, and my degree should be conferred March 2019.

Starting in early January, I'll get to work on my PHR. As dfrecore stated, it is THE certification in the HR world, and I do believe I need to have it. I'll work on that through the first half of the year, and take the exam no later than 6/30/19.

On 7/1/2019, I'm strongly considering enrolling in WGU's MSML program, and utilizing my employer's tuition reimbursement program (up to $5,250 per year). Here's my reasoning for that:
  1. I have 20 years of HR experience right now, and I'll have my professional certification in HR as well.
  2. My undergraduate degree in Psychology gave me a better understanding of why people do what they do, which is a vital skill to have in HR.
  3. A graduate degree in Management and Leadership helps me fill in a huge gap in my education/experience profile - I've never been a Manager at any level (the closest I ever came was 6 months as a Management Trainee in an auto parts store when I was 20 years old).
The reason for the 7/1 start is because it will take me two terms to finish, and that will allow me to start the second term on 1/1/20, which is when my employer's tuition reimbursement program will reset, giving me a fresh $5,250 to work with, and allowing me to complete my Master's Degree for free. 

So when all is said and done, my experience/education profile would look like this:
  • 21 years of HR experience
  • Professional in Human Resources certification
  • Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
  • Master of Science in Management & Leadership
All completed right around my 50th birthday.  Big Grin

(Time does play a role here. If I were younger, I might approach this differently. But I need to find the highest impact of time taken and usefulness of my education, and I think this is it.)

As I mentioned previously, my aspirations aren't insanely high. The above feels like it should be plenty to land me an HR Manager job in a small company, in nearly any economy - good or bad.

That's all I want - to never hear another "we can't consider you based on your educational profile" and to simply feel like I *belong* in a role because I've earned it - based on both education and experience.  Wink
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 4 users Like Nodaclu's post:
  • allvia, dfrecore, Muldoon, quigongene
(11-21-2018, 01:21 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: So - at this point - here's where my thoughts are leaning (and still subject to change over the weeks and months ahead...)

On 12/13/18, I'll complete my last UExcel exam, and my degree should be conferred March 2019.

Starting in early January, I'll get to work on my PHR. As dfrecore stated, it is THE certification in the HR world, and I do believe I need to have it. I'll work on that through the first half of the year, and take the exam no later than 6/30/19.

On 7/1/2019, I'm strongly considering enrolling in WGU's MSML program, and utilizing my employer's tuition reimbursement program (up to $5,250 per year). Here's my reasoning for that:
  1. I have 20 years of HR experience right now, and I'll have my professional certification in HR as well.
  2. My undergraduate degree in Psychology gave me a better understanding of why people do what they do, which is a vital skill to have in HR.
  3. A graduate degree in Management and Leadership helps me fill in a huge gap in my education/experience profile - I've never been a Manager at any level (the closest I ever came was 6 months as a Management Trainee in an auto parts store when I was 20 years old).
The reason for the 7/1 start is because it will take me two terms to finish, and that will allow me to start the second term on 1/1/20, which is when my employer's tuition reimbursement program will reset, giving me a fresh $5,250 to work with, and allowing me to complete my Master's Degree for free. 

So when all is said and done, my experience/education profile would look like this:
  • 21 years of HR experience
  • Professional in Human Resources certification
  • Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
  • Master of Science in Management & Leadership
All completed right around my 50th birthday.  Big Grin

(Time does play a role here. If I were younger, I might approach this differently. But I need to find the highest impact of time taken and usefulness of my education, and I think this is it.)

As I mentioned previously, my aspirations aren't insanely high. The above feels like it should be plenty to land me an HR Manager job in a small company, in nearly any economy - good or bad.

That's all I want - to never hear another "we can't consider you based on your educational profile" and to simply feel like I *belong* in a role because I've earned it - based on both education and experience.  Wink

I think this is both practical, reasonable, and smart!  I love the idea of not paying for the MA degree, that's a win.  Splitting it up between 2 years in a great way to do that.  We have heard nothing but good things from WGU here on this forum, so again, a huge win.  I think with those qualifications, you are right in thinking that your resume and experience will make a good hedge against a bad economy.

Good luck and keep us posted!  I want to know how the PHR is.  I would love to get my CCP, but it's expensive, so I won't spend the money.  But if I ended up back in HR someday, and the company would pay, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
(11-22-2018, 03:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think this is both practical, reasonable, and smart!  I love the idea of not paying for the MA degree, that's a win.  Splitting it up between 2 years in a great way to do that.  We have heard nothing but good things from WGU here on this forum, so again, a huge win.  I think with those qualifications, you are right in thinking that your resume and experience will make a good hedge against a bad economy.

Good luck and keep us posted!  I want to know how the PHR is.  I would love to get my CCP, but it's expensive, so I won't spend the money.  But if I ended up back in HR someday, and the company would pay, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Thank you!! That especially means a lot coming from you, as I know you also have an HR background. I might not have drawn it up this way from scratch at 18, but for where I was, and where I started from, this feels...right. 

My work colleague just passed the PHR exam a few months ago. She used BenchPrep HR to help her prepare, and she's letting me utilize the rest of her subscription so I can get a sense of whether or not it's worth the $379 price tag.

So far - I love it. I took the pre-test and scored 68%. By their metrics, I'm right on the cusp of passing right now, without any further study. But their system is definitely designed to fully prepare you for the exam. It's certainly a lower cost option as compared to the CEBS or CCP as well, and it's even more widely recognized.

I'll for sure keep this thread going through the completion of the PHR, then I'll start a new one for the MSML (I know there's been a few in the past, but what the heck - what's one more?)  Big Grin

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and ideas!
120/120 units complete

[-] The following 1 user Likes Nodaclu's post:
  • Muldoon
(11-22-2018, 07:05 PM)Nodaclu Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 03:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think this is both practical, reasonable, and smart!  I love the idea of not paying for the MA degree, that's a win.  Splitting it up between 2 years in a great way to do that.  We have heard nothing but good things from WGU here on this forum, so again, a huge win.  I think with those qualifications, you are right in thinking that your resume and experience will make a good hedge against a bad economy.

Thank you!! That especially means a lot coming from you, as I know you also have an HR background. I might not have drawn it up this way from scratch at 18, but for where I was, and where I started from, this feels...right. 

My work colleague just passed the PHR exam a few months ago. She used BenchPrep HR to help her prepare, and she's letting me utilize the rest of her subscription so I can get a sense of whether or not it's worth the $379 price tag.

So far - I love it. I took the pre-test and scored 68%. By their metrics, I'm right on the cusp of passing right now, without any further study. But their system is definitely designed to fully prepare you for the exam. It's certainly a lower cost option as compared to the CEBS or CCP as well, and it's even more widely recognized.

I'll for sure keep this thread going through the completion of the PHR, then I'll start a new one for the MSML (I know there's been a few in the past, but what the heck - what's one more?)  Big Grin

Thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and ideas!

Yes, the PHR is more widely recognized - if you want to be a generalist or manager.  I wanted to specifically work in Compensation (I was a compensation manager when I left the workforce), so the CCP would generally be required if I wanted to go back in at the level I was in previously.  I had 5/9 exams completed when I stopped - but that's ok, even if I'd had all 9 done, my CCP would have expired...so I'd have had to go back and retest or get a ton of CEU's during that time.

Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,255 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 494 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  South College-CBE Programs JourneyMan 4 355 02-24-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 390 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  masters in UX design or human computer interaction - MOOC question Sara143 7 637 01-04-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Sara143
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,270 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Missouri University now has 100% online master's programs LevelUP 9 1,649 11-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Human services ( masters) Sara143 21 1,756 10-28-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77