Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's Talk Human Resource Management (HRM) Grad Programs!
Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

It's just weird here.  Big Grin

I'm wondering, with all of my years of experience, if I should attempt to go straight to taking the SPHR. Of course, I'm concerned about even passing the PHR, but maybe I should keep that in mind.
BA - Psychology - TESU (in Progress) - 115/120 units complete
Previous College Coursework Completed - 69 units
Online Coursework Completed - 46 units
(11-08-2018, 03:22 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

I'm wondering, with all of my years of experience, if I should attempt to go straight to taking the SPHR. Of course, I'm concerned about even passing the PHR, but maybe I should keep that in mind.

I'm in the SF Bay area which isn't that far from Sac, and I can confirm that PHR/SPHR is pretty much looked at as the minimum bar for HR professionals here. When you get to the senior management levels, GPHR starts becoming a thing in bigger (particularly multinational) companies.

FYI, my wife's family lives in Sacramento (Rocklin area), so we're pretty familiar with the area. There is a possibility we may eventually move that way at some point. It seems way too hot for me though. Smile
Working On: Strategic Management/BSBA Capstone (BUS421-OL010 @ TESU) [Nov '18 term]
Up Next: MBA ITM and/or MSML @ WGU; also considering OMSCS @ GA Tech or PhD @ EBS Heriot-Watt

BSBA in Computer Information Systems @ TESU (118.68 of 120 SH done, graduate March 2019)
ASNSM in Computer Science @ TESU (complete, graduate March 2019)

B&M: 8.68cr, CLEP/DSST: 15cr, Study.com: 57cr, Straighterline: 19cr, ALEKS: 9cr, TEEX: 6cr, The Institutes: 2cr, Sophia: 2cr
(Earned 92 credits over 10 months, Jan-Oct '18)
[-] The following 2 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
(11-08-2018, 03:22 PM)Nodaclu Wrote: Yep! Been in Sacramento for most of the past 20 years. I didn't realize that you were here in the past as well. It's definitely a strange market. As you mentioned, SHRM (and its local SAHRA chapter) are very strong here. Despite that, 90+% of job postings ask for the PHR instead of the SHRM-CP. I think it's largely overworked Recruiters that aren't keeping up with the times. Half the time, even the request for the PHR has the letters jumbled.

I think you should take the PHR, and then wait a few months and take the SPHR (although I'm not sure it matters much).  You might also consider the SHRM-CP exam.  Or one of the CCP or CBP courses/exams if you're wanting to go in either of those directions (I loved working in Compensation and got 5 courses through it before leaving the workforce).  Those are a doozy, but so much more specific than the PHR - I thought most were very interesting.
TESU BSBA in HR, 2018
WVNCC BOG AAS,
GGU Cert in Management, 2000

EXAMS: TECEP Tech Writg, Engl Comp 2, LA Math, Public Rel, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int Alg, Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
B&M COURSESPalomar CollMission Coll, Golden Gate Univ, San Jose State Univ
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Muldoon, Nodaclu
I'm in a similar boat, and once I finish my BSBA-HR I'm looking at ether Fort Hayes or CSU-Global as well. I've seen some other programs in the $12k range, but they are all MBA-HR, which wouldn't meet your needs.

Most of the higher level HR job postings I see here (Bay Area) ask for "Masters in related field" and HR certifications. So I don't think the actual degree will be as important, especially if you have the certification. For ~$400, even with a 50% pass rate, I think you'll have better luck getting the cert first then working on a Masters. I believe you meet the experience requirements for both PHR or SPHR regardless of your degrees, so you could always look into practice tests to see which one you think you can pass.

I myself am planning on taking either the aPHR or PHR after I've finished my BSBA.
Working towards: TESU, BSBA-HR (71/120 units, goal to graduate by June 2019)

Done: B&M CC: 67 units Free Courses: Sophia Conflict Resolution (1 unit) and Leading Teams (1 unit), Institutes Ethics (2 units)

Next Up: CLEP (5 exams), Davar (4 exams), Study.com (3 classes), CSU-Global (2 exams), Aleks (2 classes), TESU Capstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb WGU MBA IT Management - The Journey from the Beginning to the End albinosmurf 21 836 11-06-2018, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Kima
  Cheapest grad schools per credit Ideas 30 3,773 11-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  NA vs RA grad school Ideas 21 517 10-29-2018, 02:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD bjcheung77 104 10,376 10-12-2018, 04:27 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Liberty PLA for Grad School videogamesrock 1 187 10-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Charles Sturt Univ.: 40 Free On-Demand Short Courses: Grad Credit? eriehiker 1 318 09-29-2018, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Dowew
  Colorado State University online grad degree in science: MNSE Sacricolist 1 307 09-13-2018, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Sacricolist
  Drake University Teacher PD Grad. Credit: Iowa eriehiker 0 197 09-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  systems analyst cert/programs Paramedic12 7 434 08-26-2018, 11:12 PM
Last Post: dmjacobsen
  WGU MBA healthcare management Paramedic12 6 669 08-17-2018, 08:04 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs