Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letters of Recommendation
Hello! I'm researching the application process for online graduate history programs and I'm somewhat concerned about my ability to produce academic letters of recommendation. Long story short, similar to quite a few others on this forum, I completed 50+ undergraduate credits at a B&M university ~20 years ago and then finished up my degree over the last 2-3 years through a combination of non-traditional courses. However, only 3 of those most recent courses were led by a professor. Does anyone have a similar experience of successfully requesting letters of recommendation from their online professors after such minimal academic interaction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Do online graduate programs also expect letters of recommendation? Which university are you looking at?
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(06-05-2019, 09:36 AM)Supermind Wrote: Do online graduate programs also expect letters of recommendation? Which university are you looking at?

Many traditional colleges want letters of recommendation even if the program is online. It also depends on the program. At one school, one program can require LORs while another doesn't.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I had to provide letters of recommendation for a few schools, I can't remember which ones. I applied to 7 grad schools and when required, I simply submitted professional recommendations. No one said anything and all went through without a hitch, accepted at all. I'm not saying you won't hit a snag, but try and collect letters from anyone who might be able to speak to your career aspirations, work ethic, volunteer effort, etc. and just have them ready.
Someone somewhere MIGHT say they need more, but with so many colleges to choose from and based on my experience with this, I don't think this should be a deal breaker.

Also, though I did NOT apply to med school, when I was considering it, I sent emails to multiple online lab science teachers at programs I considered doing my premed sciences (important for med school applications) and a handful said they would write a letter, but only within the scope of what they could evaluate (which is fair). I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and if I were in your shoes, what I *would* have done is not to ask for a "Letter of Recommendation" but I would word it more creatively. Perhaps a "Letter of Reference" instead.
You can lead your professor/teacher a little to say something like "I understand a recommendation requires more interaction than our class experience has allowed, but I am applying to graduate school and wonder if you would write a letter of reference on my behalf, specifically commenting on the work I've submitted to you for this course and my potential for success in a graduate program in history" (or similar) And then actually do excellent work that aims above and beyond the expectations of "A" work. Wink

I would think you could FOR SURE do this of your Capstone teacher, but any upper level history courses you take / will take could be contenders as well. If possible, and you have to pick/choose, choose the teachers with the highest rank or academic level. In other words, choose Ph.D. over MS when possible. I had 1 person with no academic credentials after his name and it didn't seem to matter, but people who HAVE those tend to USE those when they submit letters like this, so it certainly couldn't hurt.
(06-05-2019, 09:36 AM)Supermind Wrote: Do online graduate programs also expect letters of recommendation? Which university are you looking at?

Of the ~20 programs I'm considering only 5 do not include letters of recommendation as part of their admissions requirements. Unfortunately those 5 are at or near the bottom of my list of preferred programs.

(06-05-2019, 10:30 AM)cookderosa Wrote: I had to provide letters of recommendation for a few schools, I can't remember which ones.  I applied to 7 grad schools and when required, I simply submitted professional recommendations.  No one said anything and all went through without a hitch, accepted at all.  I'm not saying you won't hit a snag, but try and collect letters from anyone who might be able to speak to your career aspirations, work ethic, volunteer effort, etc. and just have them ready.  
Someone somewhere MIGHT say they need more, but with so many colleges to choose from and based on my experience with this, I don't think this should be a deal breaker.

Also, though I did NOT apply to med school, when I was considering it, I sent emails to multiple online lab science teachers at programs I considered doing my premed sciences (important for med school applications) and a handful said they would write a letter, but only within the scope of what they could evaluate (which is fair).  I spent a lot of time thinking about this, and if I were in your shoes, what I *would* have done is not to ask for a "Letter of Recommendation" but I would word it more creatively.  Perhaps a "Letter of Reference" instead.  
You can lead your professor/teacher a little to say something like "I understand a recommendation requires more interaction than our class experience has allowed, but I am applying to graduate school and wonder if you would write a letter of reference on my behalf, specifically commenting on the work I've submitted to you for this course and my potential for success in a graduate program in history"  (or similar)  And then actually do excellent work that aims above and beyond the expectations of "A" work.  Wink    

I would think you could FOR SURE do this of your Capstone teacher, but any upper level history courses you take / will take could be contenders as well.  If possible, and you have to pick/choose, choose the teachers with the highest rank or academic level.  In other words, choose Ph.D. over MS when possible.  I had 1 person with no academic credentials after his name and it didn't seem to matter, but people who HAVE those tend to USE those when they submit letters like this, so it certainly couldn't hurt.

Thanks Jennifer! I'm currently working in an unrelated field so unfortunately I don't think professional references would be relevant. Since I've only taken three professor-led courses in the past 20 years I'm guessing my only option is to reach out to those three to see if they could send a letter that speaks to my ability to excel in a graduate program. However, I'm concerned with my lack of options if one or two decline.
Search for courses or jobs that you could ask for a letter of recommendation. It's not the best and most "organic" way, but it's better than not having any.
(06-05-2019, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote: Search for courses or jobs that you could ask for a letter of recommendation. It's not the best and most "organic" way, but it's better than not having any.

Search for courses or jobs?
(06-05-2019, 09:09 AM)npk32 Wrote: Hello! I'm researching the application process for online graduate history programs and I'm somewhat concerned about my ability to produce academic letters of recommendation. Long story short, similar to quite a few others on this forum, I completed 50+ undergraduate credits at a B&M university ~20 years ago and then finished up my degree over the last 2-3 years through a combination of non-traditional courses. However, only 3 of those most recent courses were led by a professor. Does anyone have a similar experience of successfully requesting letters of recommendation from their online professors after such minimal academic interaction? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I was in a similar situation and getting the courage to ask was the hard part for me.  Here is my post about it:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid158722
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
<<Thanks Jennifer! I'm currently working in an unrelated field so unfortunately I don't think professional references would be relevant. Since I've only taken three professor-led courses in the past 20 years I'm guessing my only option is to reach out to those three to see if they could send a letter that speaks to my ability to excel in a graduate program. However, I'm concerned with my lack of options if one or two decline>>

I don't think I explained myself well. The field you work in doesn't matter- you can have people to vouch for your soft skills. Simply ask a supervisor or colleague to address your X (communication, critical thinking skills, leadership, etc.) You might have to be specific- saying something like "I would really like you to address my communication strengths. Since this is a distance learning program, I will have to do a lot of writing and use technology to communicate with my classmates. You've read my memos for years and we use Skype here for our meetings, so it would be really helpful if you speak to those strengths of mine." That tells them exactly what you need - which I PROMISE YOU they will appreciate.

To save time I stole this list from Google - but these are all things that ANYONE can speak to:

COMMUNICATION
Listening
Negotiation
Nonverbal communication
Persuasion
Presentation
Public speaking
Reading body language
Storytelling
Verbal communication
Visual communication
Writing reports and proposals
Writing skills

CRITICAL THINKING
Adaptability
Artistic aptitude
Creativity
Critical observation
Critical thinking
Design aptitude
Desire to learn
Flexibility
Innovation
Logical thinking
Problem-solving
Research
Resourcefulness
Thinking outside the box
Tolerance of change and uncertainty
Troubleshooting
Value education
Willingness to learn

LEADERSHIP
Conflict management
Conflict resolution
Deal-making
Decision making
Delegation
Dispute resolution
Facilitation
Giving clear feedback
Inspiring people
Leadership
Management
Managing difficult conversations
Managing remote/virtual teams
Meeting management
Mentoring
Motivating
Project management
Resolving issues
Successful coaching
Supervising
Talent management

TEAMWORK
Accepting feedback
Collaboration
Customer service
Dealing with difficult situations
Dealing with office politics
Disability awareness
Diversity awareness
Emotional intelligence
Empathy
Establishing interpersonal relationships
Dealing with difficult personalities
Intercultural competence
Interpersonal skills
Influence
Networking
Persuasion
Self-awareness
Selling skills
Social skills
Team building
Teamwork

Source: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/list-o...ls-2063770
(06-05-2019, 11:24 AM)npk32 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 11:19 AM)pws Wrote: Search for courses or jobs that you could ask for a letter of recommendation. It's not the best and most "organic" way, but it's better than not having any.

Search for courses or jobs?

Either, or both; depends on what the person/school asking for recommendations is expecting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 180 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Recommendation for competency-based MBA dp2021 21 4,704 01-27-2022, 03:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Letters of Recommendation DavidHume 6 2,053 04-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Last Post: ladylearner