Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration
(03-24-2021, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can get World Literature through SDC. Intro to Literature and Intro to Creative Writing might also be at SDC (depending on UMPI's opinions) but ss20ts says that UMPI's classes are faster and easier than SDC's offerings.

I'm not seeing ACE courses for World Literature, Intro Lit, or Intro Creative Writing. Just some kind of exam prep courses. The only one I see for credit is Non-Western Literature. Maybe that would count.

I was very interested in this when I thought I would only need about 33 credits done at UMPI. Since that is more comfortable to complete in 2 terms. 

Since UMPI wants a foreign language, it seems like 46 credits at UMPI. I don't know about rushing to do that in 2 terms (since I want to maintain my last-60-credits GPA). 

(I know I could do the foreign language elsewhere, but that is one I prefer to do at UMPI. I want RA credit for a language.)

Maybe they will give me credit for some other courses even if they don't match as well. I have so many business and English credits at TESU.

In addition, that practicum course might be more work than the other courses. It doesn't seem like that course would be just 1 paper but multiple written pieces over the weeks. One article suggests that you create a portfolio and PCJ 214 seems to suggest that you write at least 3-4 pieces. Maybe more like 8? It all sounds fine to me, except that it sounds more time consuming. I don't know if I want to do 3 terms.

Edit: Looking at my old transcript, I think UMPI would give me credit for "ENG-151: Introduction to Literature". Still, that is 43 credits left if I do Business Comm at Study.com.

(03-24-2021, 03:56 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 03:39 PM)innen_oda Wrote: I think this comment reaches the heart of what I was getting at. There's a certain degree of ownership present that I don't think is doing UMPI any favours. The insight you have is 100% valuable. But there are many alternative pathways to completing a degree, and if UMPI is to be considered an option for those on this board, it really should have more than one path.

For what it's worth, the wording from UMPI's website is a lot more positive and open-minded than what's on this board. There's reference to if an applicant has alternate qualifications, to talk with them.

Recommendations are great, and I'm glad you're here to raise UMPI as an option. I just wish the commentary wasn't so absolutist, and was more information sharing and less 'just do this because I know best'. What worked for you won't work for everyone. Your posts come across as though you work with for them/they're paying you to state certain wording, they come with such certainty and assurance.

It's just interesting to see how on one hand, Ashkir's experience has reflected a university quite willing to work with alternate circumstances. And yet your posts seem so certain that 'no, that won't work, don't even bother, just take the course through UMPI'.

Ashkir is receiving accommodations for a disability. Everyone else is not going to receive those changes to their courses and degree program. 

Everyone is FREE to contact UMPI. I say this all the time! You're going to get limited info back because you're not a student. This is what happens at most schools. They won't give you the info until you pay. Same with the Big 3. 

If you read the YourPace website it does not encourage you to take classes elsewhere. I encourage everyone to take classes elsewhere when it makes sense. The GEC and general electives absolutely make sense to take them through Sophia, InstantCert, and StraighterLine. I looked at the transfer equivalency page which I have access to as a student and there's a handful of business courses from Study which have transferred in at some point. That's it. I also know that the list for Sophia has changed because they are not issuing credit for certain classes that they have in the past. I ran into this myself as a student. Human Biology is not accepted into the GEC and only comes in as a general elective if you have room. 

I have NEVER said 'no, that won't work, don't even bother, just take the course through UMPI'. I know certain classes do not fill certain requirements. I do know what I'm talking about. I was going to follow up my initial post about UMPI with a new one since I'm now a graduate, but now I won't. Good luck to anyone else who needs help. I'm done. Hope you're happy. Good luck finding your degree path wherever that is if you even have one. 
I just wanted to say I have soooo appreciated all of your inside advice and timely imput.  IT has helped me greatly in this journey as you have shared your experiences along the way.  I am still doing Sophia courses and thanks to you I know which ones to take before enrolling at UMPI !  It is encouraging to hear from someone who has crossed the finísh  líne!  Congratulations! Smile
(03-24-2021, 09:27 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 08:23 AM)rachel83az Wrote: You can get World Literature through SDC. Intro to Literature and Intro to Creative Writing might also be at SDC (depending on UMPI's opinions) but ss20ts says that UMPI's classes are faster and easier than SDC's offerings.

I'm not seeing ACE courses for World Literature, Intro Lit, or Intro Creative Writing. Just some kind of exam prep courses. The only one I see for credit is Non-Western Literature. Maybe that would count.

I was very interested in this when I thought I would only need about 33 credits done at UMPI. Since that is more comfortable to complete in 2 terms. 

Since UMPI wants a foreign language, it seems like 46 credits at UMPI. I don't know about rushing to do that in 2 terms (since I want to maintain my last-60-credits GPA). 

(I know I could do the foreign language elsewhere, but that is one I prefer to do at UMPI. I want RA credit for a language.)

Maybe they will give me credit for some other courses even if they don't match as well. I have so many business and English credits at TESU.

In addition, that practicum course might be more work than the other courses. It doesn't seem like that course would be just 1 paper but multiple written pieces over the weeks. One article suggests that you create a portfolio and PCJ 214 seems to suggest that you write at least 3-4 pieces. Maybe more like 8? It all sounds fine to me, except that it sounds more time consuming. I don't know if I want to do 3 terms.

Edit: Looking at my old transcript, I think UMPI would give me credit for "ENG-151: Introduction to Literature". Still, that is 43 credits left if I do Business Comm at Study.com.

You're right; I got my wires crossed. It is Non-Western Literature at SDC. ONU DOES have World Literature, though. Although $150, it could still be less expensive than SDC's because there is no monthly cost while you read the things required for SDC's course. 

Intro to Literature could be SDC's English 101-103 (English/American Literature or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature) but it depends on UMPI's syllabus. COSC brings 102 in as Survey of American Literature and 103 in as just Survey of Literature. English 310: Short Stories could also potentially be Intro to Creative Writing. TESU brings that one in as Intro to the Short Story. I know COSC and TESU are not UMPI but it does show how other schools view these courses.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Ideas

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PCJ 215 Business Communication Mom5 32 3,181 01-28-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  English Major Graduates ashkir 0 271 01-04-2024, 07:07 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Double majoring and adding a second concentration glutentag 5 576 11-26-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI English degree planning NJgirl 4 621 11-07-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: NJgirl
  SDC English Comp 2 BigJohn1975 12 688 08-22-2023, 02:26 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  CLEP English Composition counting as a RA credit? tallis 11 698 07-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tallis
  PCS 215 Business Communication or Com 210 • Oral Communications Sara143 5 995 07-03-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Sara143
  Best English Comp provider kylan11 11 1,438 06-14-2023, 08:04 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  UMPI English Degree wilsjano 2 859 03-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Yourpace English class mickey20 4 976 02-20-2023, 02:14 PM
Last Post: mickey20