Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
ASNSM in Computer Science
Do you guys think that this degree (ASNSM in Computer Science) from TESU is respected? I recently got accepted but I am not sure if it is a real computer science degree or if it is a science and math degree with a little sprinkle of computer science in there. I am looking for a legit computer science degree. When I graduate would I be able to legit say that I graduated with a computer science degree. I think the ASNSM is throwing me off.
Huh Huh
(09-23-2020, 10:31 PM)Thetechyperson Wrote: Do you guys think that this degree (ASNSM in Computer Science) from TESU is respected? I recently got accepted but I am not sure if it is a real computer science degree or if it is a science and math degree with a little sprinkle of computer science in there. I am looking for a legit computer science degree. When I graduate would I be able to legit say that I graduated with a computer science degree. I think the ASNSM is throwing me off.
Huh Huh

Most people looking for a legit computer science degree pursue a bachelor's degree in computer science. The ASNSM, being an associate's isn't worth much on its own.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 2 users Like MNomadic's post:
  • CableGuy98, MrBossmanJr
(09-23-2020, 10:47 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 10:31 PM)Thetechyperson Wrote: Do you guys think that this degree (ASNSM in Computer Science) from TESU is respected? I recently got accepted but I am not sure if it is a real computer science degree or if it is a science and math degree with a little sprinkle of computer science in there. I am looking for a legit computer science degree. When I graduate would I be able to legit say that I graduated with a computer science degree. I think the ASNSM is throwing me off.
Huh Huh

Most people looking for a legit computer science degree pursue a bachelor's degree in computer science. The ASNSM, being an associate's isn't worth much on its own.

Agreed. Associate's in Math, CompSci, or Natural Sciences are usually an on-the-way sort of thing that people get while working on their Bachelor's.

Independently, I don't think it is worth it, but if you wanted to use this to level your CompSci skills before chasing a graduate program (or transferring to a better school without good SAT scores), then maybe it would be. It's all in the use case.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Thorne's post:
  • CableGuy98, MrBossmanJr
That being said, it's better to have one than not.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrBossmanJr's post:
  • Thorne
It's definitely worth it to get it if it's "free" but I would not pay for a separate graduation fee/residency waiver just for an ASNSM.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • MrBossmanJr
Does TESU allow concentration in the associate?

I do have quite a few credits that could be incorporated into something more than just a simple AA but was looking at certificates rather than associate, but talking to advisor once we reach more than 60 credits they kinda discourage certificate. Although there is no limit on how many but it needs to 'fit' with type of Bachelors degree one is pursuing.

Also because my program is a BA, not sure if associate can be in science?
(09-24-2020, 07:01 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote: Does TESU allow concentration in the associate?

I do have quite a few credits that could be incorporated into something more than just a simple AA but was looking at certificates rather than associate, but talking to advisor once we reach more than 60 credits they kinda discourage certificate. Although there is no limit on how many but it needs to 'fit' with type of Bachelors degree one is pursuing.

Also because my program is a BA, not sure if associate can be in science?

Yes - on a limited preset basis.  For example the ASNSM is available in Computer Science, Mathematics, Biology...

Huh Huh

It would be respected as much as most any other school's associate in computer science.  If you want bachelor level respect, that would require a bachelor in CS.  If you're adding it to another program to show some competency in an area (CS) then it helps. In my case I have a BSBA, I think of it showing I had a "minor" in CS (my professional experience makes it clear my skills are more 'major' level - but I was not going to opt for two capstones when I can use that time/money towards a master degree).  What is your objective?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • rachel83az
I actually have a bachelor in nursing. I am also a family nurse practitioner and just wanted to ease into computer science without having to get another bachelor degree. Do you all suggest that I still need a bachelor in CS?

(09-23-2020, 11:19 PM)Thorne Wrote:
Huh Huh

Agreed. Associate's in Math, CompSci, or Natural Sciences are usually an on-the-way sort of thing that people get while working on their Bachelor's.

Independently, I don't think it is worth it, but if you wanted to use this to level your CompSci skills before chasing a graduate program (or transferring to a better school without good SAT scores), then maybe it would be. It's all in the use case.
Thank you for the reply. I elaborated a little more about my situation.
Honestly, I think a boot camp will do, but it depends on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to do the latest and greatest AI, machine learning, etc... or just like web development?
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
(09-24-2020, 08:38 AM)Thetechyperson Wrote: I actually have a bachelor in nursing. I am also a family nurse practitioner and just wanted to ease into computer science without having to get another bachelor degree. Do you all suggest that I still need a bachelor in CS?

(09-23-2020, 11:19 PM)Thorne Wrote:
Huh Huh

Thank you for the reply. I elaborated a little more about my situation.

A boot camp is going to teach you a language. The degree is going to teach you theory that boot camp ‘coders’ don’t know. I recommend the computer science certificate to cover those basics. I don’t personally recommend the comp sci BA from TESU, especially as a second bachelor's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tallpilot's post:
  • akr680

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 508 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 2 318 04-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 430 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 436 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 1,025 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  Degree plans - Second bachelor's degree, ASNSM, and certificates carrythenothing 6 1,592 01-06-2024, 04:49 PM
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 620 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Bachelor degree in Computer science fiyajou3 8 916 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Mathematics Add-On for BA in Computer Science bradonomics 31 2,113 10-24-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,119 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning