Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere?
I think the most economical plan is to work out a plan with the university. If you ignore it, they will send it over to collections, guaranteed. That's going to add a fee anywhere from 25% - 50% to the balance. Collections will report it to credit bureaus. You'll have to wait seven years before it comes off your credit report. You can still get car loans or mortgages, but you'll be paying probably 2% more than others.
Depending on who's guaranteeing that loan, you can expect your paycheck to be docked until it's paid off. You can read the financial responsibility agreement you signed with the university, it should have the details of your responsibility, and how they will collect if you fail to meet it.
I think you should work out a plan with the university so it doesn't go into collections. That's the funny thing about money. If you lend $10k to someone, there's no way you're going to forget about it. Neither will they.
[-] The following 2 users Like ifomonay's post:
  • ss20ts, TINASAM
Indeed, they will not let you off that lightly. It may take 1,2 year or even a decade, but they will eventually find a method to screw you over. After three years of not contacting me, they submitted my $2,000 debt to a law firm in my home country, since I was an international student. So far may their petty behavior go if they so choose. I advise you to pay it off on a monthly payment, or it will come back to haunt you later in life.
(10-18-2022, 01:27 AM)tb1109 Wrote: Indeed, they will not let you off that lightly. It may take 1,2 year or even a decade, but they will eventually find a method to screw you over. After three years of not contacting me, they submitted my $2,000 debt to a law firm in my home country, since I was an international student. So far may their petty behavior go if they so choose. I advise you to pay it off on a monthly payment, or it will come back to haunt you later in life.

How is this petty behavior?  If you owed me $2,000, I'd try to get it from you as well.  You OWE them that money.  Your behavior in not paying is the problem.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts
Seems easier to just pay off the debt and get a degree at Big 3, UMPI or WGU.
@HawkofDarkness, you may want to review the entire thread and see which options suit you most... Having said that, you may want to complete your alternative credits slowly and pay off that debt with an action plan in place. Again, most likely, if you don't pay that off, it'll bite you sooner or later... I noticed your first post was 9/25 and you haven't logged in since 10/1. If you're lurking, you need to really investigate your options and have an action plan and a backup plan in place.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(10-18-2022, 06:45 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-18-2022, 01:27 AM)tb1109 Wrote: Indeed, they will not let you off that lightly. It may take 1,2 year or even a decade, but they will eventually find a method to screw you over. After three years of not contacting me, they submitted my $2,000 debt to a law firm in my home country, since I was an international student. So far may their petty behavior go if they so choose. I advise you to pay it off on a monthly payment, or it will come back to haunt you later in life.

How is this petty behavior?  If you owed me $2,000, I'd try to get it from you as well.  You OWE them that money.  Your behavior in not paying is the problem.

This does appear to be the case.  There's no indication that this debt was incurred mistakenly or fraudulently and so it seems the honest thing to simply pay it off.  It may also be the simplest way to solve the initial problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 587 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 268 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 616 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,752 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,185 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,539 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,934 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 425 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 234 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM