Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberty University
studyandpass5 Wrote:Would you, or anyone else, happen to know of any Bible courses I can test out of? I don't think I've seen any on Straighterline; haven't checked Penn Foster yet.

Check out Liberty's own Institutional Challenge exams. The cost is under $100 to earn 3 credit hours. http://www.liberty.edu/online/institutio...N=21625338 They also have a single MOOC that you can get credit for, HIS 101. However, I have heard that this class comes in as an elective, not a history class.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
I did two semesters with LU. Tranferred in about 86 credits. I was enrolled in the interdisciplinary online program and was required to take all of the BIB courses (This was in 2014). The only thing that stopped me from finishing there was the cost. Otherwise, its a great school. IMHO
studyandpass5 Wrote:I have never really thought about transferring credits that way: look at what you CAN'T transfer in. That's a good perspective on it. And how did you become so knowledgeable?? LOL! Seriously, though, thank you for the insight. Would you, or anyone else, happen to know of any Bible courses I can test out of? I don't think I've seen any on Straighterline; haven't checked Penn Foster yet.

Bible courses:

I've copied a link to one of their degrees, the gen eds are the same for all of them, so this might not be the degree you're working on but that won't matter. https://www.liberty.edu/media/1270/INDS-BS-D.pdf

You'll see this section:
Christian Life & Thought (12 hours)
BIBL 104 Survey of Old & New Testament 4
RLGN 104 Christian Life & Biblical Worldview 4
THEO 104 Introduction to Theology Survey 4

Those are the only 3 Bible classes you need for your degree. If you pan all the way down you'll see these inside the box:

Students transferring in 45 or more UG credit hours will have the requirement of RLGN 104
Students transferring in 60 or more UG credit hours will also have the requirement of THEO 104 waived

So, as you see, you can get 2 of the 3 waived by simply doing 60 credits via Straighterline and or community college. There is no need to test out of Bible, transferring 60 credits will get you there.
Gymfan15 Wrote:I started out with Liberty; did two years with them. I probably would have graduated with them but I simply could not afford it anymore. Hence the transfer to TESU. I think cost aside, Liberty is a really good school and they have great advising and customer service...after wrestling with TESU for certain things, you start to appreciate the prompt and knowledgeable help you can get elsewhere, haha.

The cheaper strategy is to do the reverse. Start somewhere cheap (community college, dual enrollment, Straigtherline, etc.) and then FINISH at Liberty. The contents of a degree are never part of your resume, only who granted your degree - so do everything as cheaply and effeciently as possible and then finish at the place you want to hang on your wall.
cookderosa Wrote:The cheaper strategy is to do the reverse. Start somewhere cheap (community college, dual enrollment, Straigtherline, etc.) and then FINISH at Liberty. The contents of a degree are never part of your resume, only who granted your degree - so do everything as cheaply and effeciently as possible and then finish at the place you want to hang on your wall.

This is exactly the strategy my son is taking!
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
hsfamfun Wrote:This is exactly the strategy my son is taking!

See, now this is why we need our "like" button back. Wink
cookderosa Wrote:Bible courses:

I've copied a link to one of their degrees, the gen eds are the same for all of them, so this might not be the degree you're working on but that won't matter. https://www.liberty.edu/media/1270/INDS-BS-D.pdf

You'll see this section:
Christian Life & Thought (12 hours)
BIBL 104 Survey of Old & New Testament 4
RLGN 104 Christian Life & Biblical Worldview 4
THEO 104 Introduction to Theology Survey 4

Those are the only 3 Bible classes you need for your degree. If you pan all the way down you'll see these inside the box:

Students transferring in 45 or more UG credit hours will have the requirement of RLGN 104
Students transferring in 60 or more UG credit hours will also have the requirement of THEO 104 waived

So, as you see, you can get 2 of the 3 waived by simply doing 60 credits via Straighterline and or community college. There is no need to test out of Bible, transferring 60 credits will get you there.

Awesome! Thank you so much; you saved me a lot of research!
BIBL 104 would be your final Bible requirement and it is available via ICE (Institutional Challenge Exam) if you already have a good knowledge of the Bible or want to self study and test out of it.
My husband is finishing his LU degree.  He had a lot of prior business credits that transferred and to get the Bible credits he enrolled in Liberty's Willington School of the Bible, the credits are $110 each, since it is within LU, these credits count toward the 30 credits needed to be completed at LU, they have a bunch that are upper level credits.  Once he took all he could through Willington School of the Bible, he "changed his major" and enrolled in Liberty U online in the Interdisciplinary Studies program with the focus in Religion and Business.

Also, transferred in all his OLD credits, 11 FEMA credits by just emailing them the certificates!, a couple of Straigherline courses and he is currently waiting on a Shmoops class to post.   Not conventional in any way but when the goal is just to get through the degree, it seems to be working, he will in the end only take 4 courses at the regular LU credit costs, the rest were from the lower cost at Willington.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ekelley's post:
  • musictester
Corrected link to Liberty University challenge exams: http://www.liberty.edu/academics/registr...?PID=37838

There are 24 hours of upper level challenge exams:

Course    Description                       Test Offered
BIBL 450 Daniel: Revelation              Residential & Online
BIBL 497 Bible Prophecies                 Residential & Online
BUSI 300 Business Communications   Online Only
BUSI 310 Principles of Management    Online Only
BUSI 330 Principles of Marketing        Online Only
GREK 301 Greek Grammar III            Residential Only
GREK 302 Greek Syntax & Reading     Residential Only
THEO 497 Eschatology                      Residential & Online

Throw out the Greek and there are 18 hours of upper level challenge credits. Can those count toward the 30 hours of required Liberty courses?
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
[-] The following 1 user Likes clep3705's post:
  • hsfamfun

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,617 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 352 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,763 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,811 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 774 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,329 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,794 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 416 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 582 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,645 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff