Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dune
I haven't been to a movie theatre in quite a long time but this film might get me there
The Long-Awaited Official Trailer Of 'Dune' Just Dropped, And Every Second Of It Is Epic - Digg
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpha's post:
  • SteveFoerster
Some things are just meant to be seen on the big screen  Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • SteveFoerster
Considering that the director, Denis Villeneuve, is the guy who managed to make a sequel to Blade Runner that didn't ruin the original, I'm cautiously excited about his adaptation of Frank Herbert's masterpiece.

That said, anyone who's read the books knows that the experience of the source material would be fiendishly difficult to get across on a screen.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(07-24-2021, 01:06 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: That said, anyone who's read the books knows that the experience of the source material would be fiendishly difficult to get across on a screen.

That's true.  The best evidence is the first version of the film.  It didn't come across well.
Dune (1984) - IMDb
I'd say BR 2049 was the last big budget movie worth watching in a theatre (...or at all). Villeneuve does not make garbage, so I'll definitely be watching this in a theatre. This is supposed to be part 1, so hopefully it does well and the second part actually gets made. I'm somewhat surprised this got financial backing, because this is quite a bit like 2049 (big budget, somewhat obscure IP) which didn't do great at the box office. Not because it wasn't a masterpiece, but because the average consumer is rather dull. I can see the same thing happening with this.
(07-24-2021, 06:41 PM)Alpha Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 01:06 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: That said, anyone who's read the books knows that the experience of the source material would be fiendishly difficult to get across on a screen.

That's true.  The best evidence is the first version of the film.  It didn't come across well.
Dune (1984) - IMDb

David Lynch's movie has its merits, but I would certainly agree that it's more easily appreciated as a separate work of art from the novel.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
I know that a new trailer came out a few days ago but I haven't watched it yet.  Someone I know went out to one of those big theatres with 15 screens or something like that.  People were spread out, wearing masks with not many in the theatre.