Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smart.ly & WorldQuant - Initial DEAC Application
(01-26-2020, 07:13 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I applied for the free MBA a few years ago. I was accepted and interviewed with the CEO - seems like a great and serious guy. I also think that the program is serious and moving in the right direction. I was offered a half scholarship on the EMBA and that wasn't good enough for me to say yes. I also have young kids and my window for a move is two years away, so the networking/placement services were not compelling.

One thing that I have noticed from Smart.ly/QSBT is that they now offer a free? business foundations concentration. I took pretty much all of the free courses and ended up with 17% of the free MBA finished. They have been repackaging the free courses and now a group of them have been packaged into a "Business Foundations Concentration." Given that this is an MBA, the concentration is presumably at the graduate level and ends up being some kind of low-level graduate business certificate. The courses are Finance, Accounting I, Microeconomics I, Marketing Fundamentals and One-Variable Statistics.

I put free? with a question mark because I took these a few years ago and I am not sure how they appear to new students on the web site. They were free for me. I am hoping the QSBT gets the DEAC accreditation and I can transfer the 17% into the Excelsior onetranscript.

Any restrictions on putting DEAC coursework on an EC transcript?

Sent from my typewriter.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I have read posts through the years that Excelsior will take transfer credits from nationally accredited schools. As with anything, this is just a situational judgment call. I have opened a Onetranscript and am sending all of my transcripts in including a NationsU transcript. If they take the credits, great. I have a subject area credit count on my resume that I would add them to. If not, fine. The classes were fun.
I went ahead and applied for the The Fundamentals of Business Certificate which should fulfill 1/3 of the MBA. I took the first two chapters of Economics, Accounting, Marketing, and Finance and did well in these subjects; however I did not do well with Statistics--although doable, I would need just a little more time with stats. Stats appears to be the shortest section of the MBA--so once accepted into the MBA I should have quite a few things knocked out and hopefully they will receive DEAC accreditation. It appears they began early 2019 with the application process.

I'm assuming with their change in business model and name change, that they are shooting for 2020.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
I thought DEAC's review process was 2 years, so looking more at 2021. But I could be way off, I don't quite recall why that 2 year number is in my head.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • videogamesrock
DEAC won't consider reviewing a school until they have had students for two years. The review began in early 2019 so yeah it could be now, next year, or never.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
ah, that makes sense and probably where i got the 2 year timeframe.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • videogamesrock

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cornell offers MBA application waiver for laid off workers Imbanewbie 4 717 12-11-2022, 07:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free APPLICATION from Havard, but it is for needs base student Imbanewbie 13 1,710 06-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  FREE - Quantic Masters in Business Administration - DEAC (NA) bjcheung77 22 3,972 03-27-2021, 07:25 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  FREE - WorldQuant MS Financial Engineering - DEAC (NA) bjcheung77 3 1,337 03-01-2021, 10:35 PM
Last Post: Seagull
  Quantic / Smartly - New DEAC Accreditation SweetSecret 11 4,185 03-09-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: udi
  Smart.ly MBA (free - kind of) rachel83az 9 2,442 03-17-2018, 07:05 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU MBA IT Review/Progress + Application Fee Waiver gingerbeefE 4 2,153 03-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Last Post: cypster
  Submitted Grad School Application Today! kdubbub 1 981 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Last Post: yb1