Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REVIEW: Propero vs. Penn Foster
Star 
I wanted to quickly compare and review Propero and Penn Foster since they offer some of the same courses at a similar price.

[Image: S1gG74R.gif]

Format:

Propero:
  • There are 12 modules.
  • Each module has a chapter(s) to read, a presentation to read, and a 15 question quiz.
  • Every 3 modules there is a 15 question test.
  • At the end there is a 100 question, multiple-choice, unproctored, final exam.
Penn Foster:
  • My course had 3 modules.
  • Each module had a lesson to read, a 20 question quiz, and a discussion forum post.
  • After the lessons are completed there is a graded project (a paper).
  • At the end there is a 20 question, proctored, final exam that requires written answers.

Grade:

Propero:
  • Quizzes are worth 40% of your grade
  • Tests are worth 40% of your grade
  • The Final Exam is worth 20% of your grade
Penn Foster:
  • Quizzes, graded project, and forum posts are worth 67% of your grade
  • Final Exam is worth 33% of your grade

Content:

Propero:
  • eText is a college course book that's been scanned.   Lots of statistics and info boxes.  A lot of "noise" in between the facts.  Anticipate what would be quiz questions and take notes.
  • Quizzes did not make the bar IMO.  Very bad and subjective wording on questions.  Difficult multiple-choice answers because answers were closely related. (I think it's against their policy, but I had to start checking my answers.) [see post below]
Penn Foster:
  • Reading material was informative, yet to the point.  I still took notes.
  • Quizzes (and final) and open book.  Normal multiple-choice questions that we're used to.
  • Paper and forum posts really make students think critically and do research.

Customer Service:

Propero:
"whole store discounts" don't work on propero courses.
Pearson store is difficult to navigate.
Propero's login requires "username",  they actually require your email...
I entered my email for "more info", still no coupons, just stale responses.
After purchasing a course, you must wait for someone to unlock the course and send you an access link.  This wastes time.
Courses cost $330

Penn Foster:
You must take the time to call them to sign up for a course; however, their customer service is SUPER friendly.  I had the pleasure of talking with Mrs. Leyshon.  Their communication is great.
Their site looks somewhat outdated but it is easy to navigate.
Courses are a buck cheaper!!! at $329. (Yep, don't all jump up and down all at once)

In the post below, I'll attach some screenshots from each provider.    Overall, I would definitely recommend Penn Foster.   I would advise people to go with someone other than Propero if they have the option.   For TESU's BACJ requirements some Penn Foster courses come in as LL compared to Propero.   Therefore, I will be doing more courses with propero.  I also have another course to take with Penn Foster.  If my opinions change, or I find out anymore information, I shall post it here.

Penn Foster layout:

[Image: JrPvMzV.png]

[Image: n9nhQ14.png]

Only error on their part (I believe... I could have the wrong answer).

[Image: 0s4P6C0.png]

Propero Layout:

[Image: w1UQMA5.png]

[Image: 8gRJ94a.png]

Wrong answers on questions (on their part)

[Image: KqPMyYD.png]Admin detention is a type of SHU for inmates that need protection.  

[Image: 6kx7xi2.png]Environmental conditions. Precipitating events.

[Image: T4QljSp.png]Uhh, yeah, can't rehabilitate if they are dead.  "many argue" deterrence.

[Image: 6wlsFBf.png]Not per the book.

[Image: 7ukdDqe.png]This one I don't know if I'm right or wrong.  It's a good example question though to show subjective some questions can be.

Finally, here are some equivalencies that I've gotten from TESU's advising office.

[Image: eQWyAgr.png]
TESU BA in Criminal Justice, 2018
TRCC Emergency Management Certificate, 2018
[-] The following 5 users Like Joeman200's post:
  • BrandeX, jsd, Nixi, Silly_Me, Thorne
Not all PF courses are that same format. I took Financial Management, and there were 5 tests and a final exam - no paper due.

Also, it's good to know that TESU awards UL credit for some courses that they give LL credit for at UExcel and PF:

Victimology
Ethics in CJ
Juvenile Justice
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is an excellent resource. Even with the subtle variations of tests, this will be very useful for future students. Thanks for putting the effort in to help the forum.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(10-09-2017, 10:50 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Not all PF courses are that same format. I took Financial Management, and there were 5 tests and a final exam - no paper due.

Also, it's good to know that TESU awards UL credit for some courses that they give LL credit for at UExcel and PF:

Victimology
Ethics in CJ
Juvenile Justice

For anyone reading my post:

This is according to two advisors responding to two separate emails about propero and penn foster. If you need to take one of these courses, I would always double check with advising first (get it in writing).
I don't think you should be posting answers to exam questions
Where these questions always up? Totally glossed over the images with the questions. Agree with Bluebooger on that it would be wise to remove those images to maintain the integrity and I'm sure some policy in the programs.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
I'm posting flawed questions so future student's are not surprised when they score low using propero. I don't think a few questions will hurt since there are 340 questions in the course. In my one screenshot it does show a correct answer so I apologize for that. Because these are images people taking the test can't google the question and find the answer here. If you guys/forum mods want them removed, I'm fine with that; however, I posted this to show students the flaws in Propero.
Interesting to see Propero is using Canvas now. Their interface looks much better!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Education Department to review guidance allowing revenue-share agreements with OPMs LevelUP 0 352 02-18-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia review Pre-WGU gams007 0 611 02-02-2023, 02:58 PM
Last Post: gams007
  Penn state's two law schools will be combined into a single law school Imbanewbie 0 507 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Institution or Professor review websites bjcheung77 2 797 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Canadians that lived in foster care, free university cerich67 3 1,233 01-04-2022, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Davissio
  Arkansas State online MPA Review cardiacclep 22 6,956 06-22-2021, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Penn Foster College Ace Credit Expirations okikuma 15 4,120 05-18-2021, 03:29 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  "Last Mile" programs - book review Clepper43 1 988 10-07-2019, 09:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Penn Foster Acquired Ashworth sanantone 2 1,433 09-05-2019, 04:19 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Propero/Pearson courses IrishJohn 37 6,078 03-03-2019, 01:31 AM
Last Post: dfrecore