Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little Rock Information Science Doctorate, any new Information
I have been looking at their page. Just wondering if any one on this forum has studied at Little Rock and share their
experience.

They publish the price per credit but not the total for the program. Is there a post or page with that information (Certificate and Doctorate??
Maybe this is useful for you: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...n-Sciences
(02-04-2020, 11:00 AM)alexvictorwhite Wrote: I have been looking at their page. Just wondering if any one on this forum has studied at Little Rock and share their
experience.

They publish the price per credit but not the total for the program. Is there a post or page with that information (Certificate and Doctorate??

That is one of the doctoral programs I am considering as well.

Estimated costs are on the website. I'm not looking at it now, but my notes indicate that the total cost of the UALR C&IS Ph.D. program should be around $28,725, plus the cost of books and 3 residency visits. Of course, that may be less if you have appropriate graduate-level credits that are transferrable to the program.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Here is what I know:
It is a real school. It is not for people who wish to blow through courses and write a few papers, do a random project and graduate.

Classes can be attended in real time (mostly in the evenings) and you interact with other students. You can speak to the teacher/class or use web chat as it is going on.

You also have to carry out real research.

IF that is what you seek, then this school is a great choice.

The 3 visits are important steps to connect with faculty and make sure your research is up to standard.

@merlin: Why would you want to do another masters when you wish to do a doctorate?
(02-08-2020, 07:18 PM)verenaf Wrote: Here is what I know:
It is a real school. It is not for people who wish to blow through courses and write a few papers, do a random project and graduate.  

Classes can be attended in real time (mostly in the evenings) and you interact with other students.  You can speak to the teacher/class or use web chat as it is going on.

You also have to carry out real research.

IF that is what you seek, then this school is a great choice.  

The 3 visits are important steps to connect with faculty and make sure your research is up to standard.

That sounds like a solid program, and pretty much what I'd expect from any legitimate doctoral degree program.

(02-08-2020, 07:18 PM)verenaf Wrote: @merlin: Why would you want to do another masters when you wish to do a doctorate?

Mostly because I know I can complete another master's program in much less time than it takes to complete a doctoral program. Particularly given that unless I embark on a business-focused doctorate, I probably won't be coming in with many (if any) graduate transfer credits.

Of course, depending on the doctoral program, I could potentially earn a second master's degree along the way to the doctorate anyway. Though at that point I might only need the master's degree as a fallback in case something goes sideways with the doctorate.

In addition, I expect I'll have a harder time qualifying for the kinds of Ph.D. programs that I would really want to pursue (like CS or data sciences). So I might need to earn a master's (or bachelor's) degree in one of those areas before I'll have a real shot at getting into a related Ph.D. program. Or at the least, work on getting some related credential(s) that would help demonstrate suitability.

For example, I'd probably need to complete the UALR grad cert in data science if I want to be seriously considered for their Info Science degree with my current academic credentials. As an additional bonus, it would mean I wouldn't need to take the GRE.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(02-04-2020, 11:00 AM)alexvictorwhite Wrote: I have been looking at their page. Just wondering if any one on this forum has studied at Little Rock and share their
experience.

I have completed the DS certificate at UALR. Feel free to PM if you require more information.
any new info here?

merlin: did you start the certificate?
(09-20-2020, 09:02 PM)verenaf Wrote: any new info here?

merlin: did you start the certificate?

Not yet. I haven't decided what program I want to pursue yet. Plus I'm a bit distracted preparing for a move so I'll probably wait until that is taken care of to get back to academic pursuits.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 96 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  German University of Digital Science (100% online, non-profit) Voldigoad 11 1,654 02-15-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
  Ms data science for 15k Imbanewbie 11 1,302 12-11-2023, 01:28 AM
  MS Data Analytics vs MS Data Science smartdegree 10 1,243 11-27-2023, 05:22 PM
Last Post: mcjon77
  Indiana University MS Data Science - $12,500 total cost Yanji 12 2,962 10-20-2023, 07:18 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Masters Data Science LivingLog 43 7,268 10-20-2023, 05:48 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  European Professional Doctorate Unlucky 33 3,688 10-01-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Unlucky
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,477 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  University of Cape Town - Masters in Information Technology nyvrem 1 390 08-30-2023, 08:46 PM