Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little confused-Need guidance please
(02-26-2019, 08:29 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: ... A BSBA would be super bc I'm in the Pharma industry but honestly, I'm terrified of all the math courses necessary for BSBA (financial acctng, business acctng - ack!). ...

One thing to remember is that you can go ahead and try those courses at a provider like SL or Study.com and the only risk if you can't make the grade are the fairly modest fees. No worries about drop dates or blowing up your GPA, you just quit, and go ahead with a BALS instead.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 3 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, dfrecore, suzycupcake
(03-01-2019, 12:25 PM)davewill Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 08:29 PM)suzycupcake Wrote: ... A BSBA would be super bc I'm in the Pharma industry but honestly, I'm terrified of all the math courses necessary for BSBA (financial acctng, business acctng - ack!). ...

One thing to remember is that you can go ahead and try those courses at a provider like SL or Study.com and the only risk if you can't make the grade are the fairly modest fees. No worries about drop dates or blowing up your GPA, you just quit, and go ahead with a BALS instead.

I would start with free instead of paying, like Khan Academy.  Learn everything you can about Algebra I & II, possibly even do a little bit of geometry & trig (I'm not certain how these all line up with College Algebra exams).  Then do the AP Stats course.

Then, you can do any of the following to get your credit, without blowing up your GPA like davewill suggested:
 - CLEP through Modern States (use MS as clep-prep, not as the way to learn the material from scratch) for College Algebra
 - DSST for Statistics 
 - Saylor for MA001: College Algebra and MA121: Intro to Statistics
 - ALEKS for both (I can't remember which you can take outside of Stats)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • suzycupcake
I agree with Dave and Dfrecore regarding math. See if you can get there first. I found Khan Academy very helpful, even used it to learn stats that I passed via DSST exam.
For someone who isn't mathy, I used Math for Liberal Arts as my BA math for the same reason. I didn't want to do a business degree and learn college algebra or precal. But, when I decided to go into a science for my master's, I needed a bunch of classes that had math in them. I found chemistry very hard and physics too hard given the amount of time I wanted to invest - I can tell you that coming at stuff as an adult is different than as a teen, but it does take time to build that intuition if you're starting from scratch (I was).
If I were approaching math with enthusiasm, I'm certain I could learn what I needed to via Khan Academy. It's a fantastic free resource. You should give it some thought- the speed of earning this degree does buy you a little time if you'd like to learn the math, but if not, you have options. If you dive in and find it too much, just go a different direction.
Thank you so much I really appreciate your guidance and your honest opinion. Thankyou

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Student seeking guidance from others SweetsugarNL 17 2,651 07-22-2019, 05:48 PM
Last Post: SweetsugarNL