Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little-known Careers
Army Pilot. Why? Because no one knows the Army has more aircraft than the Air Force and more boats than the Navy. xD
I gotta disagree the Airforce has 82 more planes. The the Army only has roughly 118 boats.
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

OD: Osteopathic Doctor
ND or NMD: Doctor of naturopathic medicine

I don't know how the pay would compare to traditional MDs but it seems like a potential alternative to the high stress lifestyle of many traditional physicians. I don't know how competitive the admissions to their schools are but the entry requirements look much more manageable than most MD programs. You still need science and some lab science, just not nearly as much. That *Might* be more attainable for those taking the unconventional/alternative approach to your undergrad.

I personally like the idea of treating someone holistically when possible instead of resorting straight to prescriptions and surgeries.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(06-07-2019, 05:43 PM)MNomadic Wrote: OD: Osteopathic Doctor

I don't know how the pay would compare to traditional MDs but it seems like a potential alternative to the high stress lifestyle of many traditional physicians. I don't know how competitive the admissions to their schools are but the entry requirements look much more manageable than most MD programs. You still need science and some lab science, just not nearly as much. That *Might* be more attainable for those taking the unconventional/alternative approach to your undergrad.

I personally like the idea of treating someone holistically when possible instead of resorting straight to prescriptions and surgeries.
Do we have osteopathic doctors in the U.S.? I know we have the doctor of osteopathic medicine (D.O.), which has become almost a clone of the M.D. Then, we have chiropractors. A couple of states license naprapathic doctors. Some refer to DOs as osteopathic doctors. In other countries, an osteopathic doctor is similar to a chiropractor. O.D. is the acronym for a doctor of optometry.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-07-2019, 05:53 PM)sanantone Wrote:

Do we have osteopathic doctors in the U.S.? I know we have the doctor of osteopathic medicine (D.O.), which has become almost a clone of the M.D. Then, we have chiropractors. A couple of states license naprapathic doctors. Some refer to DOs as osteopathic doctors. In other countries, an osteopathic doctor is similar to a chiropractor. O.D. is the acronym for a doctor of optometry.

You're right I accidentally misspelled that. It is D.O. not OD. I was thinking about mentioning chiropractor too because it is similar but decided most people have already heard of them.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(06-07-2019, 06:24 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(06-07-2019, 05:53 PM)sanantone Wrote:

You're right I accidentally misspelled that. It is D.O. not OD. I was thinking about mentioning chiropractor too because it is similar but decided most people have already heard of them.
I think a lot of people have encountered DOs in hospitals and clinics, but they're unaware of there being two different degrees for physicians. I don't think most DOs practice holistic medicine these days. Nurse practitioners and MDs can choose to practice holistic medicine with additional training. There are certificate programs geared toward them. 

Twenty-two states, DC, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands license naturopathic doctors, so those are the only places they can practice in the U.S. There are several Canadian provinces that also regulate naturopathic doctors. I remember when there were only about 14 states that allowed NDs to practice, so they're making slow progress.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Vocologist. Vocology is the science and practice of voice habilitation. It's an interdisciplinary field including practitioners from speech-language pathology and ear nose and throat medicine, vocal teachers and coaches from disciplines such as singing, acting, and broadcasting, "and others who work with human and animal vocalization." The Pan-American Vocology Association, a major nonprofit professional and scientific body for vocologists, was founded in 2014. Educational programs in vocology include an 18 semester hour graduate certificate, online plus 2 weeks on campus, from Lamar University.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Careers for Travel? burbuja0512 40 4,053 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Last Post: OE800_85