Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Local proctoring experiences/tips?
I did local pen and paper proctoring again for my three free September 2023 TECEPs. No notable issues with the arrangements, besides TESU being a tad on the slow side mailing out the exam packets.
Two weeks after my first exam, though, I found a nasty surprise when I checked Moodle. My grade had posted, but it was less than half of what I expected to score. That exam was all multiple-choice questions, so I wasn't waiting on written components to be manually graded. I sent a grade appeal email to the testing office stating that I suspected the score to be erroneous and requesting an investigation of the result. The next morning, they manually rescored my exam and posted the correct result. Not sure what happened, perhaps something with wrong with the answer sheet scanning or programming.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Incredibly, TESU messed up the scoring for all three TECEPs I took via pen and paper in October 2023. I completed the exams using the same proctoring arrangements, methods, pencils, etc I've used successfully in the past. This term, though, an incorrect and drastically low score initially showed up in Moodle for each of them. In each case, after a brief email to the testing office requesting manual verification, my score was immediately corrected to match my expected results. In one case, the testing office also failed to get the grade updated on my transcript after making the correction, requiring me to open another ticket. I am appalled that the university repeated this issue week after week and doesn't appear to have it resolved yet. If you take any exams via pen and paper proctoring, be sure to check your scores and appeal if they seem off.
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Ouch, that's rough, lucky (or not, I'm using ProctorU) so they're clunky at best but still seems usable for proctoring at home on a crappy older laptop...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Multiple choice exams? I'm guessing TESU fed your Scantron sheets in with the wrong courses selected. And/or the back end didn't account for the switch from three digit course numbers to four. There is a lot of residual nonsense from that changeover still.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
One of them was all multiple-choice, and the other two were upper level marketing exams with a combo of multiple-choice and essay questions. Still not sure exactly what happened. The mis-scan answer may make sense for the first exam. For the other two, the response from OTA hints that the grader made a mistake when adding the exam components and entering the final total score.
Hmm, weird, the multiple-choice options usually have a 'set' answer and thus a 'set score', I don't know how you can even appeal the answers, the scores online are almost instant.  For the ones with essays, it'll take at least two weeks, these are the ones you can probably 'debate' and appeal your grading on.  I never get to see the real answers or how they marked the essays, so I don't even really know how I can appeal anything... It's great that jch was able to do an appeal, I would too if it didn't go accordingly.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
In all three of my cases, OTA responded to my appeals and fixed the issues in an hour or so. That's fast enough that they couldn't have really investigated the answers. From their replies, I got the impression that upon taking a look at things they immediately found issues with how the scores were tabulated and recorded.
Many colleges and universities provide proctoring services even if you aren't enrolled there Here in CA, they charge for it ($25-35). Some libraries still do this for free. And if you just need a proctor, I think just about every Sylvan Learning Center will do proctoring for around $35. I think it was for up to 2 hours, then $20/hour after that or something.

Someone suggested Zoom-based proctoring. In my experience, most schools that allow outside proctors are going to require that the student and the proctor be physically in the same location, which rules out zoom-based proctoring.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,359 04-18-2024, 11:51 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Question TECEP Study Tips For CMP-354 Network Technology udi 41 7,307 09-09-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graduation and Commencement Tips and Tricks? 2021 Toastmaster 11 1,628 09-14-2021, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Flelm
Exclamation GPA tips - graduation - multiple failed class attempts szr 7 1,355 08-24-2020, 05:56 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Just applied to TESU. Any tips? romoh 3 1,038 03-10-2020, 08:45 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  AOS for BA in Psych - length of time, tips, etc. CarpeDiem8 28 4,633 02-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  Local CC Police Academy Credits - Syllabus Requested fingerscrossedx2 8 1,471 04-11-2019, 11:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Completed Associate Degree from Thomas Edison - A Few Tips jumpstart 4 1,804 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero