Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking Into Cyber Security Degrees (Repost)
Reposting this, as I posted it a day before the forum refresh...

I've been lurking here for about 6 weeks. About everything I've read has been informational and beneficial (this is a great community). I'm former US Navy and have been out for over 20 years, and have since "risen up the ranks" in the IT field on the civilian side (help desk, sysadmin, security analyst, security engineer).

I opted out of the GI Bill when I was active duty (extremely stupid move in retrospect). I still have my JST info (62 credits if someone accepts them all) and have submitted it to 2 of the big 3 (Excelsior is out, I don't feel Calculus I&II and Statistics are needed for this degree, and COSC/TESU only require College Algebra). I have also applied to WGU and Hodges.

I am currently working as a Cyber Security Engineer for a company that has a generous tuition reimbursement program, so I figured now is as good a time as any to start back up. The reimbursement doesn't kick in until 5/15/18, so I'm trying to knock out as much as possible on the cheap before then.

I've already completed the 11 free credit hours (TEEX, NFA, Ethics, etc.) and finished Aleks' College Algebra. I also have the 6 credit English Comp CLEP scheduled for 8/4 (free...thank you Modern States!!). I was going to attempt Aleks' Intro to Stats, but there's no way I'll be able to finish it by the end of the month (when they lose their ACE accreditation). I'll circle back around to it if Aleks gets their poop in a group.

I have the CISSP and a few other certs. Work wants me to also take ISACA's CRISC cert as soon as my probation period is up (next month). I could likely take WGU's CIW exams, A+, Net+ and Security+ cold.

I know there's at least one CIO on here gunning for a degree, just wondering if he or anyone else has some input for my situation.

Thank you!!

Best answer so far from ajs1976:

I have looked into the programs at COSC, TESU, and WGU. Search for a thread by JTP on the COSC program, and there are also threads on discussion for the TESU and WGU programs. Of the three, I would put TESU last. The per credit tuition rate is higher and it doesn't look like there will be many testing options to reduce the cost. personally, I would need to have an evaluation completed before I could pick between COSC and WGU.

With already having a CISSP, I don't see much value in the certs you would get from WGU except maybe the CCSP. Does your company pay for certs? With the way COSC does PLA, you can get credit for the CISSP, CEH, CHFI, and possibly the CRISC. https://www.charteroak.edu/prior-learnin...luated.cfm
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(07-29-2017, 08:21 PM)quigongen Wrote: Aleks has been losing accreditation by the end of the month since January.

Do you need a cybersecurity degree? Hodges would probably be your fastest bet with the most liberal accepting of all the degrees.  Hodges is willing to take many ACE credits and if you pre plan well enough I imagine you would be able to test out of a lot of the program.  

If you want the fastest IT related degree I would go for the BSBA CIS from TESU. It can be done quickly. Especially since you already have been around the block. The only thing that would be time consuming would be the capstone but you could sign up for the capstone and realistically knock out the remainder of the stuff through saylor/ study.com/ ed4credit/ straighterline/teex in a very short amount of time.

I think it is very realistic to be done with a TESU degree in 6-8 months especially if you already have 60+ credits.

Plus, I would look at CSU Global in order to knock out some of their CBE exams in order to hit the AOS. They give you two attempts and looking back they were pretty easy to do and they provide all the study material and have a great layout.

WGU can be very picky about the credits you take if you didn't plan it out in advance.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that probably want to avoid WGU- Yes you will get in but they will not accept as many of your credits. I tried to transfer over 140 credits to them and I still had many gen eds that I needed to complete.

If you do the evaluation at WGU and they take a ton of your gen eds and you do not need to do any then go with WGU. If not Hodges is a possibility and you being an expert in the field already can breeze through the program.

Make sure you apply to the study.com scholarship

If you do go to Hodges

CIT CORE

CIT1015 - Hardware Support Essentials – Testout.com will be the layout of the class non-proctored

CIT2015- Hardware and Operating Systems – Testou.com will be the layout of the class non- proctored basically a prep for A+ course.

DDG2310 - Introduction to Web Design – Pretest and then if you fail projects! I would look for alternatives if I were you.

CIT2520- Introduction to Scripting SL or CSU Global

CIT 2510 Program design & Problem Solving – Maybe CSU Global? I am sure you can find a class that is similar.

Business core

Personal Finance – Straight-line study.com

Advanced Computer Applications- I would look for alternatives if you can. Maybe Study.com or CSU Global Otherwise have fun doing excel, Microsoft word, powerpoint, and access projects.

ACG2001- Principles of Accounting I Staighterline / Saylor

GEB1012 Introduction to business- Saylor/ Study.com/ Straighterline

Liberal Arts Component

Study.com/ Saylor/ Straighterline / Aleks for any that you are missing/ electives.

You could probably do all 4-5 Aleks courses I think they might take every one of them

They will take the TEEX courses that will be electives.

Total Cybersecurity and Forensic Core

I would look at CSU global CBE for some of these courses and check. I think you could knock out some of them through Saylor or CSU Global-

ISM3830 Computer Forensics

CIT3200 Network Environments and Implementations

CIT4260 Fundamentals of System & Network Security I think CSU Global has a course

CIT4270 Linux System and Security Administration

CIT4810 - Network Defense

CIT4820 Security Penetration Testing

Computer Applications Study.com

CIT4830 Ethical Hacking

ISM4830 Information Systems Security Compliance

ISM4610 -Project Management Study.com

Try to make a petition to see if your certificates will cover any of the remaining courses.

I would only apply and start my subscription of 6 months once you have transferred as many over as possible.

Of course, get approval. They are super liberal with taking credits. So, you could probably knock out Sa good 30-40 credits before you do your final credits through them. 

Also little side note when dealing with admissions try and work with one of the female enrollment counselors. 
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

[-] The following 1 user Likes yb1's post:
  • quigongene
I wouldn't recommend the BSBA-CIS. It is not a real IT degree, it is a business degree with a concentration in CIS.

COSC takes free FEMA credits for the electives.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • quigongene
BSBA-CIS is out.  I absolutely need a cyber security related degree or work won't reimburse.

Hodges is more liberal than COCS?  Sweet  Big Grin .  Right now most of it boils down to who will take most of my current credits.  Points in favor of COCS are that they don't require Statistics, and they take the FEMA credits if needed.

It looks like I could knock out some of the biz core via Modern States/CLEP.  I'm currently going through Information Systems *YAWN*.

Forensics:  I've had several classes for EnCase and could likely get the EnCE if I picked the books back up and studied a bit....will have to chat with the counselors about that one. 

Why the female enrollment counselors at Hodges?  (My counselor is female....just curious).
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)

(07-30-2017, 05:57 AM)Ideas Wrote: I wouldn't recommend the BSBA-CIS. It is not a real IT degree, it is a business degree with a concentration in CIS.

LOL. I just wrote a long rant on my phone for this post. I deleted it because I saw OP posted that he wouldn't be able to do CIS. But for anyone else that cares I will give the condensed version.

CIS + BSBA from TESU took roughly 8 months starting with 45 credits from CC + your usual Aleks, TEEX, Ethics, etc.
Easily paid for out of pocket (no debt)
has opened many doors including a position in IT that I am currently in.
The ability to go to WGU Masters programs which I will start sometime mid to late fall. (holding out to complete my CCNA so that I can do the Cybersecurity program, either that or the MS ITM.
I think it was absolutely worthwhile.

(07-30-2017, 07:21 AM)quigongene Wrote: BSBA-CIS is out.  I absolutely need a cyber security related degree or work won't reimburse.

Hodges is more liberal than COCS?  Sweet  Big Grin .  Right now most of it boils down to who will take most of my current credits.  Points in favor of COCS are that they don't require Statistics, and they take the FEMA credits if needed.

It looks like I could knock out some of the biz core via Modern States/CLEP.  I'm currently going through Information Systems *YAWN*.

Forensics:  I've had several classes for EnCase and could likely get the EnCE if I picked the books back up and studied a bit....will have to chat with the counselors about that one. 

Why the female enrollment counselors at Hodges?  (My counselor is female....just curious).

The problem with COSC is you will need to do 30 upper level credits which can be harder to come by.

Hodges will accept most ACE credits. If you work with your enrollment counselor you could plan an enrollment for whenever work will pay for it and knock out all the credits in the meantime.

Sign up for the study.com scholarship. If you get accepted which a lot of people on this forum have. That is a free 6 courses for you to do.

I would do statistics from Aleks.

Not to call anyone out at Hodges but I just did not like dealing with the guy in the enrollment department. I always found him difficult to work with. (as if he wasn't listening to what I am telling him and just wanted me to sign up, pay the application fee, send transcripts in) the female enrollment counselors have always been much more helpful. Or at least the one I was working with.

You should see if Hodges would let you do a PLA portfolio for the experience you already have. I know that you can petition to the director for credits. That could save you a lot of time.

I think Hodges just wants your money. but they hit the RA requirement so that is fine by me.

If I were to go the Hodges or WGU route my goal would be to knock out all the GEN eds first.

One of my coworkers is at WGU and he is stuck with doing the gen eds and he absolutely hates it. He already has Sec +, CCNA, and CCNA Sec if he had knocked out his gen eds before enrolling he would just be focusing on his AOS at this point.

So yes either is a good choice. WGU new CS program is also a lot of writing from what I hear vs the old  CS program the one JSD (CCNA, CCNA Sec) is in which is more take the exam and you get the credit.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL

Gen Man AOS-

• quigongene
>The problem with COSC is you will need to do 30 upper level credits which can be harder to come by.

I get 16 just for the CISSP from them, but I'm gonna wait and see who gives me the best deal.

https://www.charteroak.edu/prior-learnin...l-cred.cfm

>knock out all the credits in the meantime.

I am.  Just emailed Modern States in the hope that I can get a 2nd CLEP voucher for Information Systems.

>Sign up for the study.com scholarship. If you get accepted which a lot of people on this forum have. That is a free 6 courses for you to do.

Just did.  Also noticed they have other scholarships to sign up for.  Looks like I'll be typing up a storm over the next few days. 

>I would do statistics from Aleks.

I started it, hoping to beat the deadline of them losing ACE accreditation, but it looks like I'm going to need a better background in the subject.  I'm looking into some free Intro to Stats MOOCs currently, but I'm not going to get heavy into it until after I pass the CRISC.

>Not to call anyone out at Hodges but I just did not like dealing with the guy in the enrollment department. 

I'm working with Lyn currently.  She seems decent enough.

>You should see if Hodges would let you do a PLA portfolio for the experience you already have. 

Will definitely look into it.

>I think Hodges just wants your money. but they hit the RA requirement so that is fine by me.

I just want their paper, so fair enough.  Tongue

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • tonyend2001
(07-30-2017, 11:17 AM)quigongene Wrote: I get 16 just for the CISSP from them, but I'm gonna wait and see who gives me the best deal.

That's probably going to be the best. That's a fantastic deal.

If you do want to do stats, I'd go with SL Business Stats. You can pass the course before taking the final (still have to take the final, but no pressure). Don't need a great background, because they explain the vast majority of it in the audio/video lessons.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thorne's post:
  • quigongene
(07-30-2017, 11:33 AM)Thorne Wrote:
(07-30-2017, 11:17 AM)quigongene Wrote: I get 16 just for the CISSP from them, but I'm gonna wait and see who gives me the best deal.

That's probably going to be the best. That's a fantastic deal.

If you do want to do stats, I'd go with SL Business Stats. You can pass the course before taking the final (still have to take the final, but no pressure). Don't need a great background, because they explain the vast majority of it in the audio/video lessons.

yup that is an amazing deal. I didn't know that. I imagine the rest of the upper level AOS could be done through CSU global.

I hope you decide to do a journey thread. I am sure others would be interested in it as well.

I think COSC will also allow you to do a lot of those free FEMA courses for gen ed credits? I can't remember exactly but I remember people here use to do something similar. perhaps someone can confirm or deny this.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL

Gen Man AOS-

• quigongene
>I hope you decide to do a journey thread. I am sure others would be interested in it as well. 

Planning on it.  I should have done this years ago.  Glad I found you guys/gals.  Rolleyes

>I think COSC will also allow you to do a lot of those free FEMA courses for gen ed credits?

Last I read, yes.  I'm hoping that's still the case in 10 months.

Also, links for COSU CISSP and a DSST I found for more high level security credits:

https://www.charteroak.edu/prior-learnin...l-cred.cfm

http://getcollegecredit.com/fundamentals...r_security

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,554 Today, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 601 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,611 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Inexpensive Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees bjcheung77 1 404 02-20-2024, 01:13 AM
Last Post: mancheseter24
  Futurelearn has BA degrees in Marketing & Design for 13k USD. Masters for 7k USD. nyvrem 1 245 02-16-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How others think of college degrees... bjcheung77 5 545 12-31-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Spanish - Learning website security breach bjcheung77 1 1,071 12-24-2023, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees? elcastor21 7 915 12-08-2023, 06:56 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 559 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 579 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77