Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking at a Bachelor's with Prior Credits
Hello everyone,

I had completed an Associate's in Science in Automotive Service Management from Florida State College at Jacksonville. I began the B.A.S. in Supervision and Management, however I still would have a long ways to go and $$$ to get the degree finished. I would like to look into the big three with my prior credits. I am currently doing the Modern States course for the CLEP voucher to knock out some GEN-EDs. 

Here is a completed list of courses from FSCJ:

Course       Description                                         Credits  
AER1081C  Introduction to Automotive Technology  4          
AER1198    Engines                                              4          
AER1291    Automotive Transmission/Transaxle       4          
AER1398    Manual Transmission/Transaxle             4
AER1498    Steering and Suspension                      4
AER1598    Brakes                                               4
AER1694C  Electrical Systems I                             4
AER2695C  Electrical Systems II                            4
AER1798C  Air Conditioning and Heating                4
AER2896    Engine Performance I                          4
AER2899    Engine Performance II                         4
AER2895C  Engine Performance III                        4
AER2957    Automotive Internship I                       2
AER2958   Automotive Internship II                       2
AER1953   Automotive Internship III                      1
BUL3130   Business Law and Ethics                        3
CHM1020  Chemistry for Liberal Arts                      3
ENC1101   English Composition I                           3
INP1390    Human Relations                                  3
LIT2100    Great Ideas in World Literature              3
MAN3240  Organizational Behavior                         3
MAN3353  Management Theory and Practice           3
MGF1106  Topics in College Mathematics                3

Does anything appear to transfer over, do I start as if I have never gone to college? I have reviewed a few guides on here but these credits throw me for a loop.
I'm going to recommend that you get a BSLS at COSC, because it will take most of those credits that other programs won't (like TESU).  You MAY be able to get TESU's BS in Tech Studies, but the problem is the UL credits (you don't have any) and they have a higher level of coursework needed (College Algebra, Precalc, Stats, Chem/Physics I & II).  So I'll stick with COSC.

So, you're limited in CLEP's because you only need a few more GE's, and most that you need aren't covered by GE.  You also need 10 UL courses, and CLEP's are all LL.

If I were you, I would do the College Comp (for your English II credit), Psych or Sociology (for the Social/Behavioral Science requirement), and Am Govt or US History I or II (for the US History/Govt requirement).

I'd do the free Insurance Ethics course for the Ethics requirement.

You will then need Oral Comm (not available as a CLEP) and the Nat Science w/Lab (not available as a CLEP).

At this point, you'd need your UL, and your Liberal Arts courses (the upper portion of the degree).  You make the most of your credits earned, and take as few additional courses as needed, you need to choose a concentration that will work.  I might choose Automotive Tech/Business/Comm or Auto Tech/Business/Psych, since Communications and Psych are both liberal arts courses, and there are plenty of UL credits available alternatively.  You need 30cr of UL, the Capstone should count for 3cr, so 9 courses.

Study.com is probably the easiest provider to choose for UL, since they have an equivalency guide published already.

Attached Files
.xlsx   jsnead COSC BALS & BSLS.xlsx (Size: 64.84 KB / Downloads: 6)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • akr680, jsnead, Pikachu
(10-07-2019, 10:36 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to recommend that you get a BSLS at COSC, because it will take most of those credits that other programs won't (like TESU).  You MAY be able to get TESU's BS in Tech Studies, but the problem is the UL credits (you don't have any) and they have a higher level of coursework needed (College Algebra, Precalc, Stats, Chem/Physics I & II).  So I'll stick with COSC.

So, you're limited in CLEP's because you only need a few more GE's, and most that you need aren't covered by GE.  You also need 10 UL courses, and CLEP's are all LL.

If I were you, I would do the College Comp (for your English II credit), Psych or Sociology (for the Social/Behavioral Science requirement), and Am Govt or US History I or II (for the US History/Govt requirement).

You will then need Oral Comm (not available as a CLEP) and the Nat Science w/Lab (not available as a CLEP).

At this point, you'd need your UL, and your Liberal Arts courses (the upper portion of the degree).  You make the most of your credits earned, and take as few additional courses as needed, you need to choose a concentration that will work.  I might choose Automotive Tech/Business/Comm or Auto Tech/Business/Psych, since Communications and Psych are both liberal arts courses, and there are plenty of UL credits available alternatively.  You need 30cr of UL, the Capstone should count for 3cr, so 9 courses.

Study.com is probably the easiest provider to choose for UL, since they have an equivalency guide published already.

Hi Dfrecore, 

Is it mandatory to do Chem I & II or Physics I & II? 

Don't they accept Chem I (SL)  & Physics I (SL)?

Thanks
------------------

(10-07-2019, 10:36 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm going to recommend that you get a BSLS at COSC, because it will take most of those credits that other programs won't (like TESU).  You MAY be able to get TESU's BS in Tech Studies, but the problem is the UL credits (you don't have any) and they have a higher level of coursework needed (College Algebra, Precalc, Stats, Chem/Physics I & II).  So I'll stick with COSC.

Thank you!

So let me see if I am following:

- Start of with the free insurance ethics course.
- CLEP - College Comp / Sociology / American Gov't
- Study.com for ULs based on the concentration. 

So I see that you recommended Auto Tech/Business and Comm or Pysch for the concentration. Is there a specific thing that I would have to declare or apply to for the Auto Tech/Business/Comm or just discuss it with the adviser at COSC?
(10-07-2019, 11:25 AM)jsnead Wrote: Thank you!

So let me see if I am following:

- Start of with the free insurance ethics course.
- CLEP - College Comp / Sociology / American Gov't
- Study.com for ULs based on the concentration. 

So I see that you recommended Auto Tech/Business and Comm or Pysch for the concentration. Is there a specific thing that I would have to declare or apply to for the Auto Tech/Business/Comm or just discuss it with the adviser at COSC?

I just recommended it based on what you have and what you need to get for UL.  You have to get your concentration approved by an advisor at COSC, so I would probably do that when I enrolled and started on the cornerstone, to get it all going before taking too many classes.

(10-07-2019, 10:42 AM)akr680 Wrote: Hi Dfrecore, 

Is it mandatory to do Chem I & II or Physics I & II? 

Don't they accept Chem I (SL)  & Physics I (SL)?

Thanks

I'd always heard that you have to take I & II of either, but maybe it's changed.  I'd check with TESU.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • akr680
Makes sense. So I completed the Free Insurance Ethics course and have submitted to ACE for review.

I forgot I also had some ACE credits from a short stint with Jiffy Lube. I don't know if any of these 25 credits help.

J-Team Training - JIFF-001 - LL - 3 CR - Automotive Management Systems

Service Center Management Training - JIFF-002 - LL - 6 CR - (3) Supervision or Business Administration and (3) Business Management or Management

Technical Training - JIFF-003 - 5 CR - (1) Brake Systems, (2) Automotive Servicing, (1) Automatic Transmission/Transaxle, (1) Manual Transmission/Transaxle

Advanced Technical Training - JIFF-005 - 11 CR - LL - (1) Brake Systems Lab, (2) Automatic Transmission/Transaxle, (1) Automatic Trans Lab, (2) in Manual Trans, (1) in Manual Trans Lab, and (2) in Auto Servicing.
(10-07-2019, 01:18 PM)jsnead Wrote: Makes sense. So I completed the Free Insurance Ethics course and have submitted to ACE for review.

I forgot I also had some ACE credits from a short stint with Jiffy Lube. I don't know if any of these 25 credits help.

J-Team Training - JIFF-001 - LL - 3 CR  - Automotive Management Systems

Service Center Management Training - JIFF-002 - LL - 6 CR - (3) Supervision or Business Administration and (3) Business Management or Management

Technical Training - JIFF-003 - 5 CR - (1) Brake Systems, (2) Automotive Servicing, (1) Automatic Transmission/Transaxle, (1) Manual Transmission/Transaxle

Advanced Technical Training - JIFF-005 - 11 CR - LL - (1) Brake Systems Lab, (2) Automatic Transmission/Transaxle, (1) Automatic Trans Lab, (2) in Manual Trans, (1) in Manual Trans Lab, and (2) in Auto Servicing.

These are LL and non-Liberal Arts, which you've maxed out on, so not going to help.
With this many credits, I'd go ahead and apply to both schools, and send my transcripts. That's the only way you'll REALLY know how they will all apply to different degree programs.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(10-07-2019, 01:24 PM)davewill Wrote: With this many credits, I'd go ahead and apply to both schools, and send my transcripts. That's the only way you'll REALLY know how they will all apply to different degree programs.

I would actually decide if you really want the BS in Tech Studies before applying - if you don't want to do the math & science, then why bother?

But it certainly won't hurt to apply to TESU & COSC.  And EC if you want.
EC will probably transfer in many of your automotive courses as professional electives. I would call and speak to someone in admissions. I took culinary school classes about a thousand years ago and they all transferred in under professional electives. Looks like you need a lot of gen eds, but you can start them now. Sopia.org is free right now and those credits will transfer to the Big3. You just need to pic one of those schools and start a degree plan.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 375 Yesterday, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,284 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Fastest & Easiest UMPI Bachelor's shawnette 8 360 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 346 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 373 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 883 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 591 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 341 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 412 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 251 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley