Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for 1 unit or just 0.5 unit UL Computer Science course
(10-25-2020, 08:28 AM)S01013756 Wrote: Does anyone familiar with PLA? I found 1 CR at TESU, but it is classified as CAP-385. Here is the link and information:

Network Security(CAP-385)1 credits

Course Description
Design a secure network based on business, management, and network factors; implement user and group policies to tighten security, secure computers and plan a network for internet access; plan, deploy, manage and monitor servers; encryption and secure sites. (CAP-385) 1.00 s.h.

Learning Outcomes
Through the Portfolio Assessment process, students will demonstrate that they can appropriately address the following outcomes:

• Explain concepts of cryptography and digital signatures.

• Describe common network vulnerabilities, attacks and defense mechanism.

• Describe the requirements and mechanisms for the identification of possible threats to network security and evaluate the procedures to protect against these threats.

• Explain the steps necessary for implementing user and group policies to prevent unauthorized access.

• Explain the procedures to plan a network that allows secure communication over the Internet.

• Discuss the tools administrators use to monitor the activity on servers and secure the mission critical data on a network.
Link: go to https://www2.tesu.edu/plasearch.php and type in "network security" and click submit button.
In all honesty it would be too expensive to PLA a one credit course. You will have to pay for PLA-200 and then pay the portfolio fee. Unless you're planning on doing atleast 12 credits I'd look look elsewhere for a 1 credit course.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

PLA is an expensive and time-consuming option. You have to take the PLA course and write a paper about why you should get credit. It's not really worth it for just one credit, IMO. Cheaper, but not as cheap as alternate sources, possible options:

https://is.byu.edu/catalog/CS-462-M002

Not self-paced, but University of North Dakota has several UL CS credits that might work: https://und.edu/academics/online/index.h...er-Science

$549 - UL programming credit via ACE: https://www.statistics.com/courses/custo...tics-in-r/
UL CS ACE credit: https://www.statistics.com/courses/anomaly-detection/
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I wouldn't recommend a PLA done for just 1 credit, it's a waste of money and resources at the school. PLA generally is used for multiple credits, you're paying a price for up to 12 credits, why not do a PLA for 12 UL credits instead of just 1. The reason is, that's the most cost effective way to get UL from experience/experimental learning outside of the classroom. It will take at least a month to write up and get your assessment evaluated.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-25-2020, 10:03 AM)rachel83az Wrote: PLA is an expensive and time-consuming option. You have to take the PLA course and write a paper about why you should get credit. It's not really worth it for just one credit, IMO. Cheaper, but not as cheap as alternate sources, possible options:

https://is.byu.edu/catalog/CS-462-M002

Not self-paced, but University of North Dakota has several UL CS credits that might work: https://und.edu/academics/online/index.h...er-Science

$549 - UL programming credit via ACE: https://www.statistics.com/courses/custo...tics-in-r/
UL CS ACE credit: https://www.statistics.com/courses/anomaly-detection/

I asked a TESU advisor about Statistics.com for the two courses below that marked (*) or considered as UL based on ACE recommendation, but both courses can't be used for BACS:

1) SQL - Introduction to Database Queries* --> advisor answered: This will transfer in as TESU course DSI-330 (this course will not apply towards your Bachelor’s degree program)

2) Optimization - Linear Programming* --> advisor answered: This will transfer in as TESU course DSI-310 (this course will not apply towards your Bachelor’s degree program)
That's a shame, that they don't accept those for a CS degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-25-2020, 10:35 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I wouldn't recommend a PLA done for just 1 credit, it's a waste of money and resources at the school.  PLA generally is used for multiple credits, you're paying a price for up to 12 credits, why not do a PLA for 12 UL credits instead of just 1.  The reason is, that's the most cost effective way to get UL from experience/experimental learning outside of the classroom.  It will take at least a month to write up and get your assessment evaluated.

Is that how the PLA works? Wow...

Btw, I am about halfway done learning the Linear Algebra. So, I guess I will just take the exam in the next two weeks or so.
For 2.67 credits instead of 3, I would request that the dean get involved and the credits be rounded up.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
S01013756 Wrote:
bjcheung77 Wrote:I wouldn't recommend a PLA done for just 1 credit, it's a waste of money and resources at the school. PLA generally is used for multiple credits, you're paying a price for up to 12 credits, why not do a PLA for 12 UL credits instead of just 1. The reason is, that's the most cost effective way to get UL from experience/experimental learning outside of the classroom. It will take at least a month to write up and get your assessment evaluated.

Is that how the PLA works? Wow...

Btw, I am about halfway done learning the Linear Algebra. So, I guess I will just take the exam in the next two weeks or so.

Yup, the best usage for PLA is for UL or hard to find courses that can't be test-out-able.

udi Wrote:For 2.67 credits instead of 3, I would request that the dean get involved and the credits be rounded up.

For now, basically, I would recommend leaving it as is and go on with taking the Linear Algebra course.
I would only check with the dean if and if only the Linear Algebra option doesn't work out as intended...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASNSM in Computer Science and TEEX Cybersecurity? Shorn27 2 360 03-18-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Has someone transferred Study.com science corses with labs and correctly transfered etwelding2019 1 205 03-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 392 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BA Computer Science Final upper class to take Armstrong 17 971 01-11-2024, 01:04 AM
  Troubles with Sophia Transfer (Science & History) poisonedapple 5 603 12-27-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: poisonedapple
  Bachelor degree in Computer science fiyajou3 8 876 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Mathematics Add-On for BA in Computer Science bradonomics 31 2,057 10-24-2023, 03:33 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,000 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Course equivalencies spohara 25 3,485 07-27-2023, 08:14 PM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  TESU Computer science process question emmaya 45 3,491 07-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Last Post: emmaya