Poll: How do you rate an online degree?
This poll is closed.
It is a piece of paper but it is almost worthless.
3.70%
2 3.70%
It meets my requirements but it doesn’t really rate.
18.52%
10 18.52%
It is no different than a traditional qualification.
61.11%
33 61.11%
Self study should mean it is worth more than a traditional qualification
16.67%
9 16.67%
Total 54 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a fight.
Well I retire in August so let me know if you have an opening...hilarious

BTW--Well stated post. I feel my greatest asset will be my work experience, the degree is just a tool to open the door to show said experience.
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
I have a son in college and two kids in high school. If they would ask me if they could get their degree this way I would strongly discourage them because in their stage of life I believe that they have much to learn from being in a b&m school - the interaction, being mentored (ideally) by professors who they respect and a host of other things that this method does not offer. That being said, in my (more mature Wink stage of life I have hopefully aquired some of these other important lessons and so my goal at this point is just the degree because it will be my ticket into grad school. So for that purpose it will do, but for young kids (sorry homeschoolers) I believe there is great benefit in going to a good b&m college. Of course my son is privileged to be in a small and excellent school so I can not comment about the large state schools where a young person could easily get lost. Interesting thread and I appreciate the tone of the discussion and the mutual respect that is being expressed.
I know this is going a bit off topic but I had to respond to Johanna's post - in response to the mention of homeschoolers-about how young people do need a b& m school(although this isn't about college - mostly elem and high school. (Hope you don't mind!:SmileD

Personally I do wish when I was younger I was homeschooled. The social aspect about school is vastly overrated. Being a person who is minority -I am half white(although to my classmates that was one aspect of myself they couldn't see)....I had a difficult and lonely childhood and teenage years. Mind you this wasn't in the 1960's but in the 80's and early 90's. Not one friend. I was constantly harrassed and told to go back to my country despite the fact I was born here and my father was German/scottish American. I figure only those who were probably more popular on the childhood social hierarchy wonder why on earth people would ever consider homeschool.

I remember being spit on, beat up during elementary for the simple fact that I didn't resemble anyone else in school. I can truthfully say not a day went by that I wasn't called some sort of derogatory racial name that isn't fit to print.I remember in highschool having food tossed on me, not being able to sit anywhere in the lunchroom because no one wanted to sit next to me. I remember in high school after sitting down to lunch having a group of girls tell me to move because they didn't want someone like me sitting next to them.

So yes I went to b/m school for elementary and high school,yet even amongst the hundreds of my classmates I didn't socialize with hardly any of them. If anything -it did more to hurt my self esteem. The only place I had friends was in my dance class which I took afterschool! So I had opportunity to socialize outside my school environment.

The reason why I graduated salutorian- I studied instead of eating lunch.

I didn't really have a close group of friends until I entered the Army. Thank god for that. Finally my race didn't matter. What I did mattered! What a concept!

It was after being in the Army that I realized it wasn't me. I wondered at times if I was just a social misfit who was doomed to be a loner. But after being in the Army, and then moving to a big diverse city and having more friends that I could count I realized it was the small mindedness of the kids I encountered at school. Granted I went to a rural school so perhaps a more urban environment might have turned me into a social butterfly.

I wouldn't hesitate to homeschool my own son. Children/teenagers can be heartless and cruel. I am also married to a man who is mixed just like myself. I won't go into what we both are since it really doesn't matter. But seeing my son who is very different than the majority of the suburban kids who will be his future classmates....makes me wonder if he will fit in. Hopefully times have changed. But I wouldn't hesitiate to homeschool him. Not for a minute. I have no religious affiliation although that's what most people think when I tell them I am considering homeschooling my son when he comes of age. I want to spare him the loneliness I felt attending school. Of course the socialization aspect comes up often. After my experience I can honestly say that school is not the best place for those who are "different." Who don't fit into the mold. Perhaps if I found a good diverse private school I would enroll him. If not -homeschool it is. I figure my son could socialize during activities I would enroll him in apart from school- sports, dance, martial arts classes. Activities where there is already a common interest that might trump where one is on the social or racial ladder. Anyways...sorry to be off tangent. Carry on!
Please allow me to clarify - I was referencing the fact that we have some homeschoolers who are working on college credits. Number one - I admire them for getting a head start on their college work - number two, I do believe there is social gain in the college experience for young people - particularly if they can find a safe environment where they can meet other people who share their values. Like I said, my son is in a wonderful college setting, where he is building relationships with other like-minded young people as well as some terrific professors who choose to invest in him. I realize that is not everyone's college experience and it was something we looked for when he was selecting his college. Btw, we are not rich people by any means and the only way he is able to be there is through scholarships, grants and loans.

As far as grade school and high school, I believe that is a highly personal parenting decision. My youngest son in fact was homeschooled (by me) for a couple of years when he went through an extremely difficult time in his life (during middle school). He is now doing well and it was his own desire to go back into a public high school. I am sorry my comments were not clearly expressed.
I understand where you are coming from now. I myself have nothing against B & M schools. Although I would still rank socializing with my peers down at the bottom of the list of what things were more unique to that setting. Granted I was a commuter student, and I was 21 fresh out of the Army,when I first took a class instead of 18 and residing in the dorms.

I took a few classes at a large university where I was pretty much lost. I remember a few people sleeping next to me in class or/and coming in drunk. I'm sure they had to cram just as much as we do when we take cleps, if not more so b/c they had spent the whole semester sleeping! Is that experience any more valuable? I think not. I am sure many of those people who drooled next to me can't even remember what half those courses were that they attended! Yet they have that degree from a B & M which might lead people to think they are more intelligent, retained more info.etc.

On the other hand,one of my favorite classes was a English 101 at a community college here in Chicago. I probably couldn't have gotten the same experience if I just clepped it, did it via Independent Study or even took it at a large university. My professor encouraged me and actually had me publish one of my short stories. Another story I wrote was put into an upcoming English comp textbook(with questions I couldn't even answer! LOL! I still have that textbook on my shelf.) I am glad I had the face to face interaction with my professor who encouraged me to keep writing.

I guess we could also take the argument even further beyond online vs b& m. What educational experience is best? Mainly residential campuses or commuter? -and on and on and on. There is no one size fits all approach. I am just glad that the online education at this point in my life fits me just fine.
Traditional Ed. better "wake up and smell the coffee" to me it's the difference between a land line and a cell phone. Many of my friends have young people in traditional universities and their learning more about beer, weed and sex than anything useful in the real world. I wonder how many people who have taken these classes at B&M schools could pass these test. I think every college lecture should be recorded and availible to registered students at all times so people could really learn at their own pace. That would be ideal, but for now this has to suffice.
Ehhhhh....What college is this and how do I sign up?hilarious Sounds much more exciting than studying for these tests!
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
It's all relative. Im sure some people look at a degree from LSU or Texas A&M a little different than Excelsior. But maybe it was harder for them? I just need a degree that is accredited so that is why I went with Excelsior. Plus they take all my military credits. I think I had 20 or so. As far as online, I think many courses will be taken online in the future. I think online is the future. You can learn so much by just doing research on the internet. Its how much you put into is how much you will get from your degree since its a self-study type deal. The brick and mortar professors are a little boreing to me. Sometimes I would rather study on my own if you know what I mean.
Houston, Texas
B.S. - Liberal Arts, Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Elon Musk Want to Fight Mark Zuckerberg. What is Happening? LevelUP 2 382 07-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP