Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for fastest Associates or Bachelor
Hello everyone. Like the title says I'm looking at getting the fastest associates degree and if possible a bachelor. I have various credits from 3 different institutions and also the military. I do not have any GI Bill or TA funds available and will pay for the remaining degree out of pocket and/or by testing out. A lot of my credits have to do with criminal justice material but if I could earn a degree that is not criminal justice related but rather a general studies type or something that has to do with languages I would prefer that (I would also mind something in the math field). I'm also writing this because I'm trying to figure out a general path before randomly sending transcripts to schools and paying their registration fees as I had a difficult time figuring out what credit would fit.
I would like to thank everyone ahead of time and I would like to add that I am willing to join any of the three schools.
Thank you, Marco

CGS 1060 Introduction to Computers
ECO 2023 Principles of Economics-Micro
ENC 1101 Freshman Composition I
ENC 1102 Freshman Composition II
MAC 1105 College Algebra
MAT 1033C Intermediate Algebra
SPC 1017 Interpersonal Communication
HSC 1100 Personal Health
CCJ 2022 Contemp Issues in Crim Justice
CCJ 2930 Selected Topics Crim Justice
CJE 2600 Criminal Investigation
CJL 2100 Criminal Law
HSC 1400 First Aid/Cpr
CCJ 1020 Intro to Criminal Justice
CJC 2000 Introduction to Corrections
HUM 1020 Intro To Humanities
EVR 1001 Intro to Environ Science
INR 2002 International Politics
PHI 2600 Ethics and Critical Thinking
ECO 2013 Principles of Economics-Macro
OCE 1001 Intro To Oceanography
STA 2023 Statistical Methods

I finally have some fema is course but from my understanding those course are no longer accepted at the three big school.
I have a BALS degree plan for TESU.  The only things I don't know since you haven't had an eval, are where some of your CJ courses will come in.  If they are considered non-applied, then they are Gen Ed's, and can also be used in the AOS.  Otherwise, they will be free electives.

So this is really a starting point, and you can revise it if you decide to go to TESU and get an eval done.

TESU does not take FEMA IS courses any longer, but I think COSC and EC will (don't quote me on that).

I do not normally recommend that you get an AA from one of the Big 3, as they aren't the cheapest route.  Obviously, if your job were to tell you that if you got an AA, they would give you a raise or promotion, then it would be worth it.  Other than that, an AA on the way to a BA is not very helpful.

----------------------

If you REALLY want an AA, Patten has one that would probably work well for you.  They only charge $1316/term, and if you could get many of the courses you needed prior to enrolling, enrolled for a single term and knocked out the few remaining courses, then you might be ahead.  You could then transfer everything to one of the Big 3 (or stay at Patten if you wanted) to get a BALS.

The thing I don't know there is how things that aren't exact will transfer.  For example, it says Physics and Physical Science are required.  But, do they really mean "science" and will take your Oceanography and Environmental Science courses in place of those?  Will International Politics take the place of American Government?  Will Humanities take the place of Sociology?  I just don't know, and they aren't helpful when you call to ask.

Attached Files
.xlsx   marco1 TESU 2016 BALS.xlsx (Size: 43.5 KB / Downloads: 46)
.xlsx   marco1 Patten AA in CJ.xlsx (Size: 53.93 KB / Downloads: 10)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-16-2017, 03:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I have a BALS degree plan for TESU.  The only things I don't know since you haven't had an eval, are where some of your CJ courses will come in.  If they are considered non-applied, then they are Gen Ed's, and can also be used in the AOS.  Otherwise, they will be free electives.

So this is really a starting point, and you can revise it if you decide to go to TESU and get an eval done.

TESU does not take FEMA IS courses any longer, but I think COSC and EC will (don't quote me on that).

I do not normally recommend that you get an AA from one of the Big 3, as they aren't the cheapest route.  Obviously, if your job were to tell you that if you got an AA, they would give you a raise or promotion, then it would be worth it.  Other than that, an AA on the way to a BA is not very helpful.

----------------------

If you REALLY want an AA, Patten has one that would probably work well for you.  They only charge $1316/term, and if you could get many of the courses you needed prior to enrolling, enrolled for a single term and knocked out the few remaining courses, then you might be ahead.  You could then transfer everything to one of the Big 3 (or stay at Patten if you wanted) to get a BALS.

The thing I don't know there is how things that aren't exact will transfer.  For example, it says Physics and Physical Science are required.  But, do they really mean "science" and will take your Oceanography and Environmental Science courses in place of those?  Will International Politics take the place of American Government?  Will Humanities take the place of Sociology?  I just don't know, and they aren't helpful when you call to ask.
dfrecore, do you know if TESU charged you for an evaluation of your courses?
It costs $75 to apply to TESU, and then additional costs for sending transcripts. But no actual charge for the eval. Although I suppose that $75 fee is really for the eval...
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-16-2017, 03:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It costs $75 to apply to TESU, and then additional costs for sending transcripts.  But no actual charge for the eval.  Although I suppose that $75 fee is really for the eval...

Thank you for all your help.
The excel sheet is amazing!!! One more question, what do you mean by SL?
On the topic of applications, Charter Oak is WAIVING their normal $75 application fee through January 5th. Besides the cost of requesting your transcripts, it would be free.

You mention languages, are you fluent or close to it in anything besides English?
(12-16-2017, 04:22 PM)cookderosa Wrote: On the topic of applications, Charter Oak is WAIVING their normal $75 application fee through January 5th.  Besides the cost of requesting your transcripts, it would be free.

You mention languages, are you fluent or close to it in anything besides English?

I'm fluent in Italian and Spanish. I was a linguist for Spanish in the Coast Guard and Italian is my mother language.
(12-16-2017, 04:29 PM)marco1 Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 04:22 PM)cookderosa Wrote: On the topic of applications, Charter Oak is WAIVING their normal $75 application fee through January 5th.  Besides the cost of requesting your transcripts, it would be free.

I'm fluent in Italian and Spanish. I was a linguist for Spanish in the Coast Guard and Italian is my mother language.

You may want to take some ACTFL exams for both languages.  You'll probably score the highest level available, which equates to a bunch of LL & UL credits for the OPIc, and additional credits for the WPT, plus I think there are more.  You can also take the CLEP for Spanish, which doesn't duplicate the ACTFL exams.

The only other course I know of off the top of my head for Spanish or Italian: Study.com's Spanish for the Workplace (SPA-199) and Intensive Spanish Reading I from U of Arkansas Self-Paced, $480/course.  Nothing for Italian at all.

Your main issue, I think, is going to be finding those few elective courses you need, but Spanish will definitely be easier than Italian in terms of getting the degree requirements met.

You can always put on your resume that you speak fluent Italian, and getting the ACTFL certificate will help there as well.

(12-16-2017, 04:03 PM)marco1 Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 03:54 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It costs $75 to apply to TESU, and then additional costs for sending transcripts.  But no actual charge for the eval.  Although I suppose that $75 fee is really for the eval...

Thank you for all your help.
The excel sheet is amazing!!! One more question, what do you mean by SL?

Straighterline
(12-16-2017, 02:27 PM)marco1 Wrote: Hello everyone. Like the title says I'm looking at getting the fastest associates degree and if possible a bachelor. I have various credits from 3 different institutions and also the military. I do not have any GI Bill or TA funds available and will pay for the remaining degree out of pocket and/or by testing out. A lot of my credits have to do with criminal justice material but if I could earn a degree that is not criminal justice related but rather a general studies type or something that has to do with languages I would prefer that (I would also mind something in the math field). I'm also writing this because I'm trying to figure out a general path before randomly sending transcripts to schools and paying their registration fees as I had a difficult time figuring out what credit would fit.
I would like to thank everyone ahead of time and I would like to add that I am willing to join any of the three schools.
Thank you, Marco

CGS 1060 Introduction to Computers
ECO 2023 Principles of Economics-Micro
ENC 1101 Freshman Composition I
ENC 1102 Freshman Composition II
MAC 1105 College Algebra
MAT 1033C Intermediate Algebra
SPC 1017 Interpersonal Communication
HSC 1100 Personal Health
CCJ 2022 Contemp Issues in Crim Justice
CCJ 2930 Selected Topics Crim Justice
CJE 2600 Criminal Investigation
CJL 2100 Criminal Law
HSC 1400 First Aid/Cpr
CCJ 1020 Intro to Criminal Justice
CJC 2000 Introduction to Corrections
HUM 1020 Intro To Humanities
EVR 1001 Intro to Environ Science
INR 2002 International Politics
PHI 2600 Ethics and Critical Thinking
ECO 2013 Principles of Economics-Macro
OCE 1001 Intro To Oceanography
STA 2023 Statistical Methods

I finally have some fema is course but from my understanding those course are no longer accepted at the three big school.

COSC still takes FEMA IS courses direct. Wink

Excelsior College will if they come from Clackamas CC, Frederick CC, or Guam CC.  The advantage here is getting an AAS from one of these three at the same time. Big Grin

TESU will not!
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Going to apply at COSC and TESU and see who gives me the best path. COSC free admission is a great deal and then I will be able to get two different university opinions for the price of one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,672 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,919 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,813 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Criminal Justice Associates? Mab81 5 1,750 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,373 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Associates from one/Bachelor's from Another ReyMysterioso 13 3,000 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Cost for an Associates Mitchmcc 3 1,348 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
  Need Help - Bachelor’s Degree BSBRose21 2 2,954 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
  BSBA fastest & easiest COSC vs TESU sheagang6 5 1,616 04-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Please help with second Bachelor's degree. URGENT PLEASE! drashrafaziz 19 3,329 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Last Post: davewill