Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for fastest Associates or Bachelor
(12-17-2017, 08:59 AM)marco1 Wrote: Going to apply at COSC and TESU and see who gives me the best path. COSC free admission is a great deal and then I will be able to get two different university opinions for the price of one.

Once you get your evals, you can see if Spanish or Italian exams can fill any slots. Those are low hanging fruit. You can earn credit in the double digits for each of those languages (COSC awards 12 LL and 4 UL for each NYU exam) The trick is plugging them in somewhere useful (the distribution of credit) but Dfrecore is a degree-planning-ninja, so you're in the right place. Wink
The Pierpont BOG AAS might be in play here. Could be quick and free.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • cookderosa, High_Order1
(12-17-2017, 09:05 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Once you get your evals, you can see if Spanish or Italian exams can fill any slots.  Those are low hanging fruit.  You can earn credit in the double digits for each of those languages (COSC awards 12 LL and 4 UL for each NYU exam)  The trick is plugging them in somewhere useful (the distribution of credit) but Dfrecore is a degree-planning-ninja, so you're in the right place. Wink

I wouldn't suggest the NYU exam, as it's expensive compared to ACTFL.

- OPIc (Oral, computer) is $105 for 12cr (6LL, 6UL)
- WPT (Writing) is same price for 12cr (6LL, 6UL)
- LPT (Listening) is 3cr (LL) and is closer to $70
- RPT (Reading) is 6cr (LL) and is closer to $70

And all can be taken from home.

If you just opted for OPIc and WPT, you'd pay $210 and get 24cr.  If you took all of these, you'd pay $350 for 33cr.  And I think that none of them duplicate the CLEP exam.  So another $100 for another 9cr.

The ACTFL is the cheapest option available for credits, outside of Saylor or free options.  $8.75/cr for the OPIc and WPT.  You can't beat that with a stick!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
davewill Wrote:The Pierpont BOG AAS might be in play here. Could be quick and free.

If you're looking for an instant Associates, the Pierpont or WVNCC BOG AAS will only cost you "transcripts". Just need to note that you have to have at minimum 12 credits from a Regionally Accredited college/university (you mentioned you attended 3, so hopefully you have enough of them). The rest can be transferred in from various sources including testing, you may already have enough credits for an AAS from them! Practically "an instant (make take a few months for processing, they're slow) and free" BOG AAS degree!

marco1 Wrote:Going to apply at COSC and TESU and see who gives me the best path. COSC free admission is a great deal and then I will be able to get two different university opinions for the price of one.

As you mentioned in your earlier 1st post and since you're military, you get a free application to Excelsior college. I would go further with them to get your evaluation done as well. Again, the only thing you're doing is to find out which of the Big 3 will take your credits the most, the cost is the "transcripts". One more thing to note is the Bachelors Major/Area Of Study - you need to decide on that, it seems you are just wanting a cheap/easy/fast degree, then the BALS no concentration would be your best option at all 3.

Finally, a break down of the cost of attending either of the three, this does not include any courses/fees you will need to transfer.
TESU Application fee: $75
Residency Wavier fee - Study.com discount: $1800 (Regular $2500)
TESU Capstone - Study.com discount: $1098 (Regular $1500)
Graduation fee: $332
TESU Total: $3305
Link: https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/Costs-Tuition.cfm

COSC Application fee: Waived until Jan 5, 2018
COSC Cornerstone - $1176 at $392/credit | $750 ($250/credit for Military)
COSC Capstone - $1176 at $392/credit | $750 ($250/credit for Military)
Student Service/Technology Fee: $275 / $68 - Both waived for Military
Graduation fee: $215
COSC Total: $2910 for civilians | $1215 for service people
(Yes, it's not that much cheaper than TESU but much harder to find UL courses for transfer)
Link: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...t-fees.cfm

Excelsior Course Option - Pricing differs from Multi-Source Option
Residency Credit Requirements: 12 for civilians, 15 for service people
Excelsior Application Fee: None for partnership pricing or service people
Excelsior Capstone Fee: $410/credit | $250/credit for service people
Enrollment/Student Fee: 0
Graduation Fee: $130
Total: Expensive! Choose the Multi-Source Option! ($3,880 for Service People)

Excelsior Multi-Source Option - Pricing differs from Course Option
Residency Credit Requirements: 3 (Capstone)
Military: https://www.excelsior.edu/web/excelsior-...duate-fees
Partner: http://www.excelsior.edu/documents/46041...1057044e71

Excelsior Application Fee: None for partnership pricing or service people
Excelsior Capstone Fee: $410/credit | $250/credit for service people
Enrollment/Student Fee: $1095 for Civilians | $760 for Service People / $495
Graduation Fee: $495
Total: $3315 for civilians | $2500 for service people
(Yes, it's practically identical in pricing with TESU but slightly harder to find UL courses for transfer)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Excelsior College (Veterans) not military

Excelsior Application Fee: (FREE) None for partnership pricing or Veterans people

Excelsior Capstone Fee: $510/credit for Veterans | $250/credit for still serving service people
Enrollment/Student Fee: $760 for Military/Veterans Multi-Source Enrollment
Graduation Fee: $435 Veterans/Military
Total $2,725.00 BS degree for Veterans (military will be cheaper) [Image: biggrin.png]
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • High_Order1
Hey buddy!

I stay in my lane, so I really can't help with initial planning.

But I can offer support! I was like you, in 2016, when I came here, and now I am one course from a Bachelors. Look at Liberal Studies. (I didn't want a CJ degree, either). A lot of people thumb their noses at LIBSt, but it's good if you don't want to specialize at the Bachelors level.

I never found an associates I wanted to go after, and honestly, as they get easier to obtain, their value... I dunno.

Just make sure whatever you look at is accredited (the big 3 are), and keep a weather eye towards how things might apply to a Masters. (Once you get in this pipeline, you might start thinking about one. I wasn't initially, either)

Hang in there, almost everyone here has a really good grasp of the topic and you'll get great advice!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • Life Long Learning
(12-20-2017, 05:34 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: Hey buddy!

I stay in my lane, so I really can't help with initial planning.

But I can offer support! I was like you, in 2016, when I came here, and now I am one course from a Bachelors. Look at Liberal Studies. (I didn't want a CJ degree, either). A lot of people thumb their noses at LIBSt, but it's good if you don't want to specialize at the Bachelors level.

I never found an associates I wanted to go after, and honestly, as they get easier to obtain, their value... I dunno.

Just make sure whatever you look at is accredited (the big 3 are), and keep a weather eye towards how things might apply to a Masters. (Once you get in this pipeline, you might start thinking about one. I wasn't initially, either)

Hang in there, almost everyone here has a really good grasp of the topic and you'll get great advice!

I like your Undergrad Cert in Emergency Management - Three Rivers CC 2017 Big Grin

Not fancy.........but FREE Big Grin
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,618 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,883 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,778 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Criminal Justice Associates? Mab81 5 1,724 08-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Second Bachelor BALS with concentration with the 24 new credits rule posabsolute 1 1,357 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM
  Associates from one/Bachelor's from Another ReyMysterioso 13 2,978 06-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Cost for an Associates Mitchmcc 3 1,335 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
  Need Help - Bachelor’s Degree BSBRose21 2 2,941 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
  BSBA fastest & easiest COSC vs TESU sheagang6 5 1,597 04-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Please help with second Bachelor's degree. URGENT PLEASE! drashrafaziz 19 3,251 02-25-2018, 12:09 PM
Last Post: davewill