Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for guidance/degree plan/ general help
I've come a long way, but i am at a cross-roads and looking for guidance on what to do next.

Next month I will graduate with two different A.A. degrees from my local community college. A psychology degree, and a political science degree. I have switched my major a few times (hence me receiving two degrees) and I have a variety of credits from both CC and in the form of CLEPS

I am making one final change and am looking to complete my B.A. in history. I am currently evaluating both Excelsior and TESU to do so. I would like to get through this back end of my 4 year degree as quickly, efficiently and inexpensively as possible.

Can you guys possibly help me devise a degree plan to do this? I will outline my completed courses below in just a moment.

also, what is more recommended, as far as being able to test out of courses via study.com or other methods Excelsior? or TESU?

both institutions seem fairly expensive for out of state tuition, how do you guys complete these degrees so inexpensively?

UMUC is a third option, another all-online college that is in my state of Maryland. I like TESU and Exclesior however, because they are flexible, and there are seemingly a multitude of ways to earn credit other than the standard 16 week college course.

I know very little about "the big 3" and looking for help as to what comes next and how to reach my goals in an efficient and affordable manner.

here is the list of credit's Ive earned / courses I've taken.

CLEPS:

College mathematics  (6 credits ?)
Intro to educational psych (3)
Principles of marketing (3)
Principles of management (3)
US History I (3)
US History II (3)
Western Civ I (3)
Western Civ II (3)

COMMUNITY COLLEGE CREDITS:

English Composition, ENG 101 (3)
American Nat'l Govt, PS 101 (3)
General Psychology, PSY 101 (3)
Intro to Information Science, CIS 102 (3)
Intro to Business, BA 101 (3)
Intro to Sociology, SOC 101 (3)
Intro to Theatre, THEA 101 (3)
Fundamental of Biology, BIO 100 (4)
Contemp Health Issues, HLTH 101, (3)
Nutrition, BIO 210 (3)
Fitness Walking, PE 230 (1)
Child Psychology, PSY 202 (3)
Social Problems, SOC 102 (3)
Popular Music of the U.S., MUS 222 (3)
English Comp Research Writing, ENG 109, (3)
Human Dev. Across Life Span, PSY 214 (3)
Speech Fundamentals, CMST 101 (3)
Hiking, PE 130 (1)
State and Local Gov't, PS 102 (3)
Intro to International Relations, PS 201 (3)
Alcohol/Drugs on Behavior, PSY 208 (3)
Intro to Entrepreneurship, BA 110 (3)
Business Ethics, PHIL 221 (3)
Principles of Supervision, BA 107 (3)

I also have three articulated credits from my high school on my community college transcripts for CJ 101 (criminal justice) not sure if these count for anything.

all in all I have 99 Credits If those CJ 101 credits count, 96 total without those.

I appreciate all of you who took the time to read through this and help me in any way possible.
I am not an expert degree planner like some here (*cough, dfrecore, cough*), but just eyeballing it looks like you'll have all the requirements for a TESU BA in History met EXCEPT:

Information Literacy (has to be taken at TESU as SOS-110)

Non-Western History (only known option to test out is the Soviet Union DSST)

Historical Methods (there's not currently a test-out option, known options are to take it directly through TESU, through American Public University, or through Fort Hayes State University. FHSU is cheapest of the three, but barely cheaper than APU. TESU has the benefit of not adding an extra school and the extra complications that come with that.)

Four History Electives (assuming you take an upper-level class for Non-Western History and for Historical Methods, as each of the above options are, you'll need three of these electives to be Upper Level. See link below for elective options.)

Capstone (has to be taken at TESU as LIB-495)

Here's a link to a Area of Study plan I created for the History majorat TESU. My guess is that in your scenario TESU will be a little better because of how few upper-level credits they require (since all your current credits are lower-level).
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(04-04-2019, 12:15 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: I've come a long way, but i am at a cross-roads and looking for guidance on what to do next.

Next month I will graduate with two different A.A. degrees from my local community college. A psychology degree, and a political science degree. I have switched my major a few times (hence me receiving two degrees) and I have a variety of credits from both CC and in the form of CLEPS

I am making one final change and am looking to complete my B.A. in history. I am currently evaluating both Excelsior and TESU to do so. I would like to get through this back end of my 4 year degree as quickly, efficiently and inexpensively as possible.

Can you guys possibly help me devise a degree plan to do this? I will outline my completed courses below in just a moment.

also, what is more recommended, as far as being able to test out of courses via study.com or other methods Excelsior? or TESU?

both institutions seem fairly expensive for out of state tuition, how do you guys complete these degrees so inexpensively?

UMUC is a third option, another all-online college that is in my state of Maryland. I like TESU and Exclesior however, because they are flexible, and there are seemingly a multitude of ways to earn credit other than the standard 16 week college course.

I know very little about "the big 3" and looking for help as to what comes next and how to reach my goals in an efficient and affordable manner.

here is the list of credit's Ive earned / courses I've taken.

CLEPS:

College mathematics  (6 credits ?)
Intro to educational psych (3)
Principles of marketing (3)
Principles of management (3)
US History I (3)
US History II (3)
Western Civ I (3)
Western Civ II (3)

COMMUNITY COLLEGE CREDITS:

English Composition, ENG 101 (3)
American Nat'l Govt, PS 101 (3)
General Psychology, PSY 101 (3)
Intro to Information Science, CIS 102 (3)
Intro to Business, BA 101 (3)
Intro to Sociology, SOC 101 (3)
Intro to Theatre, THEA 101 (3)
Fundamental of Biology, BIO 100 (4)
Contemp Health Issues, HLTH 101, (3)
Nutrition, BIO 210 (3)
Fitness Walking, PE 230 (1)
Child Psychology, PSY 202 (3)
Social Problems, SOC 102 (3)
Popular Music of the U.S., MUS 222 (3)
English Comp Research Writing, ENG 109, (3)
Human Dev. Across Life Span, PSY 214 (3)
Speech Fundamentals, CMST 101 (3)
Hiking, PE 130 (1)
State and Local Gov't, PS 102 (3)
Intro to International Relations, PS 201 (3)
Alcohol/Drugs on Behavior, PSY 208 (3)
Intro to Entrepreneurship, BA 110 (3)
Business Ethics, PHIL 221 (3)
Principles of Supervision, BA 107 (3)

I also have three articulated credits from my high school on my community college transcripts for CJ 101 (criminal justice) not sure if these count for anything.

all in all I have 99 Credits If those CJ 101 credits count, 96 total without those.

I appreciate all of you who took the time to read through this and help me in any way possible.
I would go to study.com after you've gotten credits from cheaper places like Saylor, Davar, etc. Study.com has the umichigan coupon code which expires at the end of the year. TESU recently became more expensive because they added a required course.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...r-Exelsior

There are many places that offer credit by exam. Have you seen the above thread?
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(04-04-2019, 12:15 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: ...

The magic of the Big3 comes from two things, the ability to transfer in 114-117 out of 120 credits, and their generous treatment of alternative credits. That allows us to draw up degree plans that minimize both cost and time.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(04-04-2019, 02:20 PM)davewill Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 12:15 PM)Jitzman94 Wrote: ...

The magic of the Big3 comes from two things, the ability to transfer in 114-117 out of 120 credits, and their generous treatment of alternative credits. That allows us to draw up degree plans that minimize both cost and time.

Also note that most of us are paying in-state tuition at TESU (or cheaper, actually) by using the Study.com affiliate discount.
Completed:

Up Next:

This is one of those instances where your courses "fit" better into a one degree, but it ends up not being the better choice.

TESU uses all 96 of your credits, leaving only 8 courses to finish.
EC uses 84 of your credits, leaving 12 courses to finish.

BUT, the cost is the deal-breaker here:
- TESU requires the cornerstone and capstone, and that Historiography course that you can't find for less than $800 as far as I can tell, and the residency waiver; for a grand total of ~$6,200.
- EC requires the capstone, and then everything else is able to be found for $150 or less per course; for a grand total of ~$4,300!

Here are files for both degrees! Enjoy!!

Attached Files
.pdf   Jitzman94 EC BS in History.pdf (Size: 77.45 KB / Downloads: 22)
.pdf   Jitzman94 TESU BA in History.pdf (Size: 63.08 KB / Downloads: 14)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • mysonx3, suzycupcake
(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is one of those instances where your courses "fit" better into a one degree, but it ends up not being the better choice.

- TESU requires the cornerstone and capstone, and that Historiography course that you can't find for less than $800 as far as I can tell, and the residency waiver; for a grand total of ~$6,200.
- EC requires the capstone, and then everything else is able to be found for $150 or less per course; for a grand total of ~$4,300!

I think there's a good chance that Excelsior will take one of the Western Civilization CLEP exams that Jitzman has already taken for the World History requirement, but I don't know that for certain. If so, that would leave one less class to take.
Completed:

Up Next:

(04-04-2019, 10:50 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 07:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: This is one of those instances where your courses "fit" better into a one degree, but it ends up not being the better choice.

I think there's a good chance that Excelsior will take one of the Western Civilization CLEP exams that Jitzman has already taken for the World History requirement, but I don't know that for certain. If so, that would leave one less class to take.

I don't think most schools consider World History and Western Civ as interchangeable.  In this case, EC specifically requires World History, and if you look further down at IV, it says "Non-Western/World History."  My guess is they won't take it - but it certainly can't hurt to ask.

Also, I forgot to add that you may want to verify with them before taking your history courses, to make sure that they will count as I guessed they would.  I'm not as familiar with EC as I am with TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you all so much for you guidance.

This is a great community and I appreciate all of you
This is a really great forum. I'm also looking for a History degree, but I only have one course under my belt so far.
The degree plans posted on this thread are insightful for me.

I am wondering - how can one make sure that they are not taking a course/test that will not count towards your major? [With such a wide array of options to choose from] - Just by asking the schools?

Finally, do you have to be enrolled to seek academic planning from a school?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 34 484 39 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 5 99 40 minutes ago
Last Post: RachelB
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 292 1 hour ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 135 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,476 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question 40 something would love some guidance on how/where/what Bachelors to get! joyfulhelper 5 208 03-26-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,850 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 177 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 334 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM