Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for suggestions on a place to start.
I'm about to turn 38 years old and I have a wife and two very young children. We both work full time, but I have fairly flexible hours. I'm looking to work toward a degree in engineering, probably mechanical, but possibly electrical. Cost of the degree is a concern, as is time (far more of a concern). I understand that in this particular field it is basically impossible to earn a legitimate degree online or in a very short period of time (under two years).  I'm not at all terrified of math and a few years ago when I first started considering pursuing a degree (prior to our first child being born), I was able to get my math skills back up to around a college algebra level in a couple of weeks. I do realize that I would have to go fairly deeply into calculus to earn an engineering degree. 

I have very few college credits (around 15 in freshman level classes - English 101, Western Civ, etc.) and they are all basically 20 years old, so I'm not even sure whether or not those are still usable?

I have looked into ACE  a very slight amount after coming across this forum (I didn't even know such a thing existed), but I'm still not exactly sure how it works.

My primary question is basically, what would be your recommendations on the best starting point to attempt to accomplish this goal?
(09-17-2018, 02:28 AM)IARS Wrote: I'm about to turn 38 years old and I have a wife and two very young children. We both work full time, but I have fairly flexible hours. I'm looking to work toward a degree in engineering, probably mechanical, but possibly electrical. Cost of the degree is a concern, as is time (far more of a concern). I understand that in this particular field it is basically impossible to earn a legitimate degree online or in a very short period of time (under two years).  I'm not at all terrified of math and a few years ago when I first started considering pursuing a degree (prior to our first child being born), I was able to get my math skills back up to around a college algebra level in a couple of weeks. I do realize that I would have to go fairly deeply into calculus to earn an engineering degree. 

I have very few college credits (around 15 in freshman level classes - English 101, Western Civ, etc.) and they are all basically 20 years old, so I'm not even sure whether or not those are still usable?

I have looked into ACE  a very slight amount after coming across this forum (I didn't even know such a thing existed), but I'm still not exactly sure how it works.

My primary question is basically, what would be your recommendations on the best starting point to attempt to accomplish this goal?
Hi. I might not be able to answer all of your questions. There are other more experienced people on this forum who might help you find alternative options for an Engineering Degree. But if it is about learning Calculus, try Aleks learning software. The on-screen teaching and practice methods are very engaging and these courses are ACE approved for college credit. You also don't have a final exam on Aleks. There are several intervals during which a knowledge check happens and you progress in the course.

Also, try completing Cybersecurity-101, 201 and 301 on TEEX website. These are credit eligible free courses that expire on the 30th September. So, see if you can complete within that time frame. There are about 3-4 courses within each of those three sections. You will earn 6 credits in all if you complete them. Might also equip you with some basic 'technical' understanding if you aren't already in a similar field.
Well the first step is going to decide on a program and a school. TESU and Excelsior both have engineering technology programs. Cosc has an engineering studies program: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php
None of those are really "engineering" but it really depends on what you actually want. If you want a true engineering degree, ASU has an online ABET certified electrical engineering degree. Asu will accept up to 60 credits by exam, which is pretty generous for a public state school. But you would only really be able to complete some LL gen eds that way. Also, I don't believe they accept ace or nccrs(unless it's
a military transcript). https://catalog.asu.edu/credit_exam There are a handful of other flexible engineering and engineering technology programs out there so you'd really have to decide on one before anyone can advise you on classes since each school will accept different things.

AMU/APU has a few engineering technology programs and is pretty flexible/cheap as well.
Most any true engineering programs aren't going to accept many(if any) alternative credits besides maybe a few gen eds and electives.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I am no expert in this, just throwing out a suggestion.

How about getting a BALS from one of the Big 3, using alternative credits, and then going to your local 4-yr school for a 2nd degree in engineering? That way, there is no trying to get them to accept your credits; instead, you just need to take the courses in your major.

Just a thought, others will have more ideas.

I personally wouldn't suggest an Engineering Technology program, because it would be expensive; you can't get the courses you need inexpensively, so you're getting a degree you don't really want, expensively (and not quickly), and then would have to go back and get the degree you DO want, also expensively, and not quickly. I just think it would take a lot longer, and be a lot more expensive, than if you just got a BALS instead.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • zapproximator
(09-17-2018, 11:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I am no expert in this, just throwing out a suggestion.

How about getting a BALS from one of the Big 3, using alternative credits, and then going to your local 4-yr school for a 2nd degree in engineering? That way, there is no trying to get them to accept your credits; instead, you just need to take the courses in your major.

I personally wouldn't suggest an Engineering Technology program, because it would be expensive; you can't get the courses you need inexpensively, so you're getting a degree you don't really want, expensively (and not quickly), and then would have to go back and get the degree you DO want, also expensively, and not quickly. I just think it would take a lot longer, and be a lot more expensive, than if you just got a BALS instead.

I like that idea, but he would still have ~ 3 years of college classes at his chosen engineering program, so doing a BALS(however long that takes) to save the trouble of maybe 1 year of courses wouldn't be very efficient. I'm basing this on the engineering programs that I've looked at locally which had ~6 classes of gen Ed stuff(not including math/science) and the rest was STEM courses.
If having a BALS would benefit OP in the short term while he works on longer term goals then it could work.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(09-17-2018, 11:21 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 11:01 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I am no expert in this, just throwing out a suggestion.

How about getting a BALS from one of the Big 3, using alternative credits, and then going to your local 4-yr school for a 2nd degree in engineering?  That way, there is no trying to get them to accept your credits; instead, you just need to take the courses in your major.

I personally wouldn't suggest an Engineering Technology program, because it would be expensive; you can't get the courses you need inexpensively, so you're getting a degree you don't really want, expensively (and not quickly), and then would have to go back and get the degree you DO want, also expensively, and not quickly.  I just think it would take a lot longer, and be a lot more expensive, than if you just got a BALS instead.

I like that idea, but he would still have ~ 3 years of college classes at his chosen engineering program, so doing a BALS(however long that takes) to save the trouble of maybe 1 year of courses wouldn't be very efficient. I'm basing this on the engineering programs that I've looked at locally which had ~6 classes of gen Ed stuff(not including math/science) and the rest was STEM courses.
If having a BALS would benefit OP in the short term while he works on longer term goals then it could work.

I just looked at the 3 local 4-yr state schools here.  The first has an Electrical Engineering program, with 48cr of GE, plus 36cr of "preparation for the major."  Total of 84cr out of 132cr required for the degree.  The second has both Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Programs, with 92cr of GE + Prep for the major, out of 140cr required for the degree.  The third has both EE & ME, with roughly 88 quarter credits of ge & prereq's (so 60 semester credits).

So for all of these schools, nowhere close to only 6 classes of GE.

I'm not saying the BALS/BSBA is the answer, but it might be something to get him closer to the end-goal of a degree in what he actually wants.

Also, you'd have to make sure that the school allowed a 2nd degree, and that they would accept the BA as having all your GE's completed.  Not sure how they'd look at the Prereq's, that might be a different story entirely.

I'd say this is going to require a lot of research on the OP's side.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-17-2018, 02:28 AM)IARS Wrote: I'm about to turn 38 years old and I have a wife and two very young children. We both work full time, but I have fairly flexible hours. I'm looking to work toward a degree in engineering, probably mechanical, but possibly electrical. Cost of the degree is a concern, as is time (far more of a concern). I understand that in this particular field it is basically impossible to earn a legitimate degree online or in a very short period of time (under two years).  I'm not at all terrified of math and a few years ago when I first started considering pursuing a degree (prior to our first child being born), I was able to get my math skills back up to around a college algebra level in a couple of weeks. I do realize that I would have to go fairly deeply into calculus to earn an engineering degree. 

First you should determine which you'd prefer - as they are different paths. What do you do now and more importantly, what do you hope to do with this degree?  Time and $$ are a big factor, you want to choose wisely.

Good video on which to choose - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XpXlc2Wux4

15 freshman credits, or classes (15 classes = 45 credits), you should list them here and the grades (point out anything below a C), the year taken helps - but most are likely still usable (in some cases some tech courses 'age out').  Also what state do you live in, that can make some options more affordable than others
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

I was referencing ASU's online BSEE program. It's one of only 2 online ABET electrical engineering programs(no online ABET mechanical engineering programs):

https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/road...NLINE/2017

There are a few more gen eds, I didn't count math since the most one can do through alt means is up to calc 2 and I didn't count science since alt credits probably won't cut it. The degree requires calculus based physics w/labs and advanced chemistry with lab which would be a big IF for alt credit methods. If I add in calc 1/2 and a few other that might work I still only come up to about 10 courses.

But you are absolutely right, it will take a lot of research for OP to find something that will meet their needs.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
The University of North Dakota seems to have some interesting options with this:

http://distance.und.edu/engineering/

Many UND programs are ABET accredited:

https://engineering.und.edu/college/accreditation.cfm

I think that UND does require some on-campus lab work.  I also know that the school partners with other schools to complete some of that.  For example, one of my local colleges, Siena Heights University in Adrian, MI partners with them and students are essentially enrolled in both schools and complete much of the on-campus work in Michigan with a couple of visits to ND.

This is a description of the dual program.  Maybe they do other distance programs:

http://sienaheights.edu/Preview-News-Aca...egoryID/51

Maybe other schools do this kind of thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • MNomadic
(09-17-2018, 04:23 PM)eriehiker Wrote: The University of North Dakota seems to have some interesting options with this:

http://distance.und.edu/engineering/

Many UND programs are ABET accredited:

https://engineering.und.edu/college/accreditation.cfm

I think that UND does require some on-campus lab work.  I also know that the school partners with other schools to complete some of that.  For example, one of my local colleges, Siena Heights University in Adrian, MI partners with them and students are essentially enrolled in both schools and complete much of the on-campus work in Michigan with a couple of visits to ND.

This is a description of the dual program.  Maybe they do other distance programs:

http://sienaheights.edu/Preview-News-Aca...egoryID/51

Maybe other schools do this kind of thing.

Very interesting. BTW, ABET isn't absolutely necessary except for certain positions(especially with government) or for taking the professional engineering exam(depending on your state's requirements). 
There are only a handful of purely online ABET programs, but they are mostly computer/IT, engineering technology, or occupational safety: http://www.abet.org/accreditation/find-programs/

Of course, there are probably plenty that you can get away with doing mostly online.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 771 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Where is best place to get required immunization for nursing degree martingale2023 16 1,424 03-18-2023, 12:07 AM
Last Post: Silvious
  When does six months for TADA start? natshar 2 628 03-06-2023, 06:32 AM
Last Post: xianbd
  Suggestions for Certifications to use up Personal Development Funds mohelena02 12 1,491 06-05-2022, 10:21 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Suggestions for (fast, inexpensive) ways to boost GPA studyingfortests 10 2,204 09-25-2021, 02:26 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Best place to buy diploma/degree FRAMES? Toastmaster 8 1,566 09-21-2021, 11:33 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  New to this, where to start? saskgui 9 1,504 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
Information I need an online, RA, 3 sem unit, CHEAP course with an OPEN start date. vanglorious 12 2,411 05-15-2020, 08:49 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Criminal Justice BA Degree - best place to get it kevinmane 9 2,098 01-27-2020, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Sacricolist
  Computer Degree Suggestions at any of the Big 3? JWells247 10 2,467 11-30-2019, 01:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore