Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to finish my degree - advice needed
Hello everyone!  I could use some feedback.

Back in 2010, I started a BA in Sociology degree with TESU.  They accepted the credits I earned from a vocational school and when I dropped out, I had about 88 credit hours.  However, I did not have my transcripts from two community colleges (about 9hrs) sent over when I enrolled. I am trying to finish getting my degree and am trying to decide on whether or not I should continue at TESU or move over to Excelsior. I also have a continuing education certificate from a local univesity but I don't know if I could apply that to my degree. 

Vocational School - (transferred to TESU)
K101 Electronics I 2.67
K102 Computer Technology I 2.67
K102L Computer Technology I Lab 1.33
M101T Electronics Math 3.33
E101T Communications I 3.33
K101L Electronics I Lab 1.33
K111 Computer Technology II 2.67
K111L Computer Technology II Lab 1.33
K110 Electronic Fundamentals II 2.67
K110L Electronics Lab 1.33
E104 Technical Writing 3.33
K120 Semiconductor Electronics 5.33
K120L Electronics Lab 2.67
K230 Digital Electronics 5.33
K230L Electronics Lab 2.67
K231 Introduction to Programming 3.33
E211T Technology and Society 3.33
K240 Computer Systems 5.33
K240L Computer Lab 2.67
G201 Psychology 3.33
K250 Communications Technology 5.33
K250L Electronics Lab 2.67

TESU
ENC 101 English Composition I 3.00
SOC 101 Introduction to Sociology  3.00
BIO 208 The Science of Nutrition  3.00
ENC 102 English Composition II  3.00
SOS 110 Living in the Information Age 3.00
SOS 150 Self-Assmnt & Career Exploration  3.00
HEA 305 Women's Health  3.00

Community College
PSYC 100 Introduction to Psychology 3.00
COIN 060 HTML Publishing on the WWW 3.00
WMN 005 Women's Studies 3.00

I have a couple of questions about this:
1) Should I continue at TESU?  If so, would they take my community college credits and any CLEP/outside tests that I may have? 
2) If not TESU, should I go to Excelsior?
3) If EC, would a BA in Liberal Studies be my best bet?  Or should I try for the BS in either Psych or Social Sciences?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thank you. Smile
(03-24-2021, 11:52 PM)busybee45 Wrote: Hello everyone!  I could use some feedback.

Back in 2010, I started a BA in Sociology degree with TESU.  They accepted the credits I earned from a vocational school and when I dropped out, I had about 88 credit hours.  However, I did not have my transcripts from two community colleges (about 9hrs) sent over when I enrolled. I am trying to finish getting my degree and am trying to decide on whether or not I should continue at TESU or move over to Excelsior. I also have a continuing education certificate from a local univesity but I don't know if I could apply that to my degree. 

K101 Electronics I 2.67
K240L Computer Lab 2.67
G201 Psychology 3.33

TESU

Community College

1) Should I continue at TESU?  If so, would they take my community college credits and any CLEP/outside tests that I may have? 
3) If EC, would a BA in Liberal Studies be my best bet?  Or should I try for the BS in either Psych or Social Sciences?

I think you have a good amount done. If were you I'd go for a Bachelor of Arts Liberal Studies at TESU, Social Sciences concentration. You could do a BA in Sociology but that would be more work time, so if you don't care I think the BA Liberal Studies is the best bet. You wouldn't have to pay the waiver fee since you have 16 credits at TESU and with the capstone you'd be at 30 RA credits. The only course you'd need to take at TESU is the liberal arts capstone. But if you did the BA sociology you might have to take another class at TESU because I don't think you can find it anywhere else.

Additionally, if you want to put the electronics credits to good use. I'd do the AAS in either applied computer studies or AAS in applied electronic studies because you might have it done or even both if the credits line up. You would need to do an associate capstone course at TESU. But if you did that alongside the liberal arts capstone you would be enrolled in 6 credits which would make you eligible for financial aid. Just something to think about.

EC would be ok. But in your case, since you already have TESU courses done including the SOS-110 and 16 credits at TESU and 30 RA credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • busybee45
1.) Whether you want to continue at TESU is up to you. Yes, they will most likely take your community college credits and CLEP tests (depends on grades).

2.) Excelsior would generally be less expensive than TESU but you need to be aware that they do require 30 UL credits to get a degree. They don't all have to be in the AOS, but finishing 30 UL credits is something that some students find daunting. Others have no issues with this. How do you feel?

3.) A BALS would be the easiest to accumulate credits for. But I think at least Psych is possible through the use of Coopersmith. Social Sciences might require you to take a couple of classes at EC. If so, this would only add a few hundred extra dollars to your degree with the use of the Sophia, Study.com, StraighterLine, or CSMLearn partnership. Taking 13 credits only costs slightly more than the bare minimum of 7.

If TESU took your credits then Excelsior probably will as well. However, the best way to find out and to know where they go would be to apply. I would suggest that you either complete CSM Learn or two courses at Sophia to unlock partnership pricing; see https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/csmlearn/ and https://www.excelsior.edu/partner/sophia/ Either of these options will also be accepted by TESU, so you won't be losing any time by doing so. If you choose Sophia, I would suggest getting Ancient Greek Philosophers and then Intro to Ethics out of the way, but that's up to you. Check out this page to make sure that what you're taking will transfer to both schools: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Did you take those actual courses at TESU, or were some TECEP exams? If you took them as courses, then you should continue, since you won't have to pay the residency waiver there. If you took some as TECEP's, then I'd look at EC and COSC - COSC will cost half the price of TESU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
busybee45 - Reapply to TESU, have them reevaluate your academic transcripts.  Most likely all of the courses will be taken the same as before and you will be placed on the 2020/2021 catalog year.  Since you already have the SOS-110, you won't be subject to the cornerstone and will only require the Capstone.  You have only one UL, you need 4 more and the UL capstone.

At this point, the cheapest/easiest/fastest option is TESU, it'll only cost you the Capstone/Grad fee, plus remaining alternative credits that can be really inexpensive and you're done.  You only need to complete one more course for your degree a TESU and that's the capstone, you should complete the remainder of your required courses after you have an academic evaluation completed.

As mentioned by a member, I also highly suggest you complete the ASNSM or AAS if you want to invest in an extra associates capstone course at TESU - decide on it.  For the cost, east, speed to finish, you should get your remaining LL from Sophia.org and UL from TEEX Death Investigation $75 - Davar Business $99/2 courses, Study.com $200/2 courses or Coopersmith $150/course.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • busybee45
(03-25-2021, 08:30 AM)natshar Wrote:
(03-24-2021, 11:52 PM)busybee45 Wrote: Hello everyone!  I could use some feedback.

K101 Electronics I 2.67
K240L Computer Lab 2.67
G201 Psychology 3.33

TESU

Community College

I think you have a good amount done. If were you I'd go for a Bachelor of Arts Liberal Studies at TESU, Social Sciences concentration. You could do a BA in Sociology but that would be more work time, so if you don't care I think the BA Liberal Studies is the best bet. You wouldn't have to pay the waiver fee since you have 16 credits at TESU and with the capstone you'd be at 30 RA credits. The only course you'd need to take at TESU is the liberal arts capstone. But if you did the BA sociology you might have to take another class at TESU because I don't think you can find it anywhere else.

Additionally, if you want to put the electronics credits to good use. I'd do the AAS in either applied computer studies or AAS in applied electronic studies because you might have it done or even both if the credits line up. You would need to do an associate capstone course at TESU. But if you did that alongside the liberal arts capstone you would be enrolled in 6 credits which would make you eligible for financial aid. Just something to think about.

EC would be ok. But in your case, since you already have TESU courses done including the SOS-110 and 16 credits at TESU and 30 RA credits.

(03-25-2021, 03:22 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: busybee45 - Reapply to TESU, have them reevaluate your academic transcripts.  Most likely all of the courses will be taken the same as before and you will be placed on the 2020/2021 catalog year.  Since you already have the SOS-110, you won't be subject to the cornerstone and will only require the Capstone.  You have only one UL, you need 4 more and the UL capstone.

At this point, the cheapest/easiest/fastest option is TESU, it'll only cost you the Capstone/Grad fee, plus remaining alternative credits that can be really inexpensive and you're done.  You only need to complete one more course for your degree a TESU and that's the capstone, you should complete the remainder of your required courses after you have an academic evaluation completed.

As mentioned by a member, I also highly suggest you complete the ASNSM or AAS if you want to invest in an extra associates capstone course at TESU - decide on it.  For the cost, east, speed to finish, you should get your remaining LL from Sophia.org and UL from TEEX Death Investigation $75 - Davar Business $99/2 courses, Study.com $200/2 courses or Coopersmith $150/course.

Thank you both for this. I wasn't sure if I should continue at TESU, but that was because I was still thinking about the BA in Sociology. But you are correct, I would be served by getting the Liberal Arts degree instead and this plan works for me. The one question I have is whether or not I should go ahead and do the (potentially) remaining UL via EC and Coopersmith before the eval or after?

I'll keep the additional Associates in mind. While they look good, I don't know if they would serve my purposes.
busybee45 - you do not take any more college courses as they are much more expensive at EC (Excelsior College) than at Coopersmith/Study.com, you should take your remainder of the courses at Coopersmith and/or Study.com (as per my post above: I still highly suggest the TEEX Death Investigation course for $75 and you can finish it within a long weekend).

If you are OK with a couple of Business Courses at Davar, they're cheap at $99 both, plus $15/course proctoring, comes up to $129 - I suggest Management Info Systems and Organizational Behavior. Here's Coopersmith: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...Consulting and Study.com Equivalents for transfer https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html

• busybee45
It's only slightly more expensive to take 13 credits at EC vs. the minimum of 7 if you first do CSM Learn or 2 classes from either Sophia, SDC, or StraighterLine. Depending on your needs, you might find it easier to just go ahead and take 2 classes at EC while finishing up the others from elsewhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • busybee45
Staying with TESU would be cheaper/easier/faster, just get your courses from the providers mentioned above. It'll only cost you the amount for the capstone/grad fee and remaining inexpensive credits. It'll probably be in the ball park of the residency waiver fee or less, I would guess a bit under $3000 all in... I would just stay on this path unless something drastically happens (like TESU closing).

I wouldn't recommend it, but going with Excelsior on the other hand would be more expensive and you'll need to take longer by taking more upper level courses, thus making things less easy. 7-13 credits at Excelsior is over 5 grand. You're already there at the finish line with TESU, just a capstone and 3 UL vs Excelsior you need the cornerstone/capstone, info lit, and 27 UL credits.

• busybee45
(03-26-2021, 11:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: busybee45 - you do not take any more college courses as they are much more expensive at EC (Excelsior College) than at Coopersmith/Study.com, you should take your remainder of the courses at Coopersmith and/or Study.com (as per my post above: I still highly suggest the TEEX Death Investigation course for $75 and you can finish it within a long weekend).

If you are OK with a couple of Business Courses at Davar, they're cheap at $99 both, plus $15/course proctoring, comes up to $129 - I suggest Management Info Systems and Organizational Behavior. Here's Coopersmith: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...Consulting and Study.com Equivalents for transfer https://study.com/college/school/thomas-...rsity.html

(03-27-2021, 07:09 AM)rachel83az Wrote: It's only slightly more expensive to take 13 credits at EC vs. the minimum of 7 if you first do CSM Learn or 2 classes from either Sophia, SDC, or StraighterLine. Depending on your needs, you might find it easier to just go ahead and take 2 classes at EC while finishing up the others from elsewhere.

I was thinking of taking the UExcel tests for some of these classes. Are these other sites cheaper than them for the UL classes?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 575 6 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,138 8 hours ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,893 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 180 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 181 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,099 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Confused Brit looking for advice BritStudent 30 1,966 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: allvia
  WGU Advice - Bachelor's or Master's in Education? nykorn 3 388 04-15-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: RachelB
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,288 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM