Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking to get 6 credits in Foreign Language or Art/Music Credit to graduate in May
I'm a senior who needs 6 credits to graduate this May, and according to my University I need to "Select two courses in one foreign language, or any combination of two courses chosen from ART, MUS, or SIGN LANGUAGE"

They're very strict about what exams they accept, but I'm trying to keep my options open. They claim to only accept the Spanish CLEP (or German or French) and require a score of 58 to get six credits (They also refuse to take the NYU Language Proficiency tests because they are't familiar with the exam). 

I'm not very good at Spanish, but I went ahead and registered for the exam. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. If anyone has any experience with taking Spanish CLEP feel free to offer any advice. 

I'm also trying to get some sort of back up plan in case I need Art or Music transfer credit (They won't take any credit that is earned by testing for Art or Music, so no DSST Exam) Anyone have any experience with TECEP exams. They seem to offer a Music History exam, but if I were to pass it I'm not sure how the credit is awarded. Would I receive credit at Thomas Edison State University which I could then attempt to transfer to my University, or would they just send my university a test score (which they would deny).

I also see that TESU has 12 terms and accepts ACE credit. Could I take ACTFL exam, enroll, take a TECEP, and have them try and transfer my ACTFL credit to my univeristy. Will it say it was ACE credit on the transcript? (My university doesn't accept any form of ACE recommended credit other than CLEP)/

If anyone could help me out with some information, or suggest other options I'd really appreciate it.
You're out of luck with the thought of taking or transferring courses/exams to TESU, and then having the credits look to appear as if you took them at TESU. They will show that the credits came from somewhere else, or that they're an exam.

I would try ModernStates.org, for come CLEP prep, as well as SpanishHour.com.

For other options, you could try self-paced courses from a few different places. Then, you'd have to work like crazy to get the courses done and graded in time for graduation (which I doubt would happen, but it's worth a shot):

U of Arkansas Self-Paced: https://online.uark.edu/self-paced/courses.php $480/course
Basic Course in the Arts: Theatre Appreciation

U of Idaho Independent Study: https://www.uidaho.edu/academic-affairs/...d-a-course $510/course
Art 100: Survey of Art
HUM 101: The Art & History of the Motion Picture
MusH 101: Survey of Music
MusH 201: History of Rock & Roll
The 101: Intro to the Theatre

CSU Pueblo IS: http://extendedstudies.csupueblo.edu/Ind...fault.aspx $555/course
ART 100: Visual Dynamics
ART 211: History of Art I
ART 212: History of Art II
MUS 118: Music Appreciation: History of Rock & Roll
MUS 491: Special Topics: World Music

BYU IS: https://is.byu.edu/#university=on%7Chigh...7Cpaper=on $534/course
MUSIC101: Intro to Music
MUSIC113: Beginning Piano Techniques I
MUSIC201: Civilization: Music 1
MUSIC202: Civilization: Music 2
MUSIC204: Intro to Jazz
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • dg1996, Muldoon, Yenisei
(04-14-2018, 11:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You're out of luck with the thought of taking or transferring courses/exams to TESU, and then having the credits look to appear as if you took them at TESU.  They will show that the credits came from somewhere else, or that they're an exam.

I would try ModernStates.org, for come CLEP prep, as well as SpanishHour.com.

For other options, you could try self-paced courses from a few different places.  Then, you'd have to work like crazy to get the courses done and graded in time for graduation (which I doubt would happen, but it's worth a shot):

U of Arkansas Self-Paced: https://online.uark.edu/self-paced/courses.php $480/course
Basic Course in the Arts: Theatre Appreciation

U of Idaho Independent Study: https://www.uidaho.edu/academic-affairs/...d-a-course $510/course
Art 100: Survey of Art
HUM 101: The Art & History of the Motion Picture
MusH 101: Survey of Music
MusH 201: History of Rock & Roll
The 101: Intro to the Theatre

CSU Pueblo IS: http://extendedstudies.csupueblo.edu/Ind...fault.aspx $555/course
ART 100: Visual Dynamics
ART 211: History of Art I
ART 212: History of Art II
MUS 118: Music Appreciation: History of Rock & Roll
MUS 491: Special Topics: World Music

BYU IS: https://is.byu.edu/#university=on%7Chigh...7Cpaper=on $534/course
MUSIC101: Intro to Music
MUSIC113: Beginning Piano Techniques I
MUSIC201: Civilization: Music 1
MUSIC202: Civilization: Music 2
MUSIC204: Intro to Jazz

Thanks so much for the reply and the information on the self-study courses. It looks like my best chance would be the Spanish CLEP, but do you happen to know if any of those courses are 6 credits?
None of the self-study courses are 6cr, they are all 3cr, so you'd need 2 of them.

A score of 58 on the Spanish exam is fairly high; I suggest you get to studying as soon as possible. It's not an easy test if you're not fluent.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • dg1996
For the Spanish test, I would strongly suggest finding something on YouTube or other video to help you along. In another thread, it was brought up that the Spanish audio portion is notoriously hard to hear. The trick to passing is to take notes regarding anything important you hear and then you should be able to answer the questions.

My testing center allowed the use of their pencils and scrap paper, so just continually write notes as you hear that section. BUT you really do need to train your ear or you will miss a lot. Training your ear is truly something that does not happen in High School, in spite of the best attempts of the teachers. The grammar will be easy to review, but if you don't get that audio down, you'll have a hard time hitting 58. Don't worry - it's very doable, but don't skimp on the audio practice. You'll find that you start to really hear what's being said after just a few videos.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Muldoon, Yenisei
(04-15-2018, 11:14 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: For the Spanish test, I would strongly suggest finding something on YouTube or other video to help you along.    In another thread, it was brought up that the Spanish audio portion is notoriously hard to hear.       The trick to passing is to take notes regarding anything important you hear and then you should be able to answer the questions.

My testing center allowed the use of their pencils and scrap paper, so just continually write notes as you hear that section.   BUT you really do need to train your ear or you will miss a lot.   Training your ear is truly something that does not happen in High School, in spite of the best attempts of the teachers.     The grammar will be easy to review, but if you don't get that audio down, you'll have a hard time hitting 58.  Don't worry - it's very doable, but don't skimp on the audio practice.   You'll find that you start to really hear what's being said after just a few videos.

I think SpanishHour specifically trains you for the audio of the exam.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • burbuja0512

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,942 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,503 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,930 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 230 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 683 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 729 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 247 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 679 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 346 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,254 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso