Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Harvard Extension School increased their tuition cost
(06-24-2019, 11:17 PM)Stoic Wrote: Thank you. I didn't know this. I thought it was for undergrads only.

No problem. The main reason I advise against the ALB is that it takes so long to do and if you go back for a masters, you have to go to a rigorous school to avoid watering down the impact of your ALB on your resume. If you go to one of the big three (or WGU) for an undergrad, you can finish in 6 months or a year with relative ease. You can then get your ALM in 3 years. This means you'd have a masters and bachelors in the same time it takes to complete the ALB. If you have a masters from HES, people aren't going to care that you went to a no-name college for undergrad. If you go to HES for undergrad and then attend a no-name college for grad school, they're going to assume you're on a downward trend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes alexf.1990's post:
  • cookderosa
(06-24-2019, 11:27 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 11:17 PM)Stoic Wrote: Thank you. I didn't know this. I thought it was for undergrads only.

No problem. The main reason I advise against the ALB is that it takes so long to do and if you go back for a masters, you have to go to a rigorous school to avoid watering down the impact of your ALB on your resume. If you go to one of the big three (or WGU) for an undergrad, you can finish in 6 months or a year with relative ease. You can then get your ALM in 3 years. This means you'd have a masters and bachelors in the same time it takes to complete the ALB. If you have a masters from HES, people aren't going to care that you went to a no-name college for undergrad. If you go to HES for undergrad and then attend a no-name college for grad school, they're going to assume you're on a downward trend.
That makes a lot sense.  Now that I'm aware that the ALM has the HES grant option my plans need to be adjusted. Your advise has been very helpful.

But why does the ALM take 3 years? You mean if you go really slow? I will check it again later, but the ALM details seemed a bit unclear to me when I was looking. Maybe I was in the wrong place. Can you provide a link or url? Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
(06-25-2019, 02:03 AM)SCYankee Wrote:

But why does the ALM take 3 years? You mean if you go really slow? I will check it again later, but the ALM details seemed a bit unclear to me when I was looking. Maybe I was in the wrong place. Can you provide a link or url? Thanks.
Probably due to the workload of the graduate level courses and the thesis requirement in most programs. Some of those classes will have you buying 8+ books, so it's a stretch to take more than 2 at a time (and get a good grade) if you have to work alongside studying. Also, remember the online classes mostly have set meetings per week (sometimes multiple) where you need to be in front of the computer viewing a presentation, so that's additional time needed out of your routine.  The thesis from my research seems to put you into a process where it needs to be reviewed by faculty which it's not instant and may take awhile.  But not all the ALM programs have a thesis requirement though.

I like this advice- it's better to finish strong. Makes you look like a rising star.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 556 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,715 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 387 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 243 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 666 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Op Eds - I Vote on Plagiarism Cases at Harvard College. Gay’s Getting off Easy. posabsolute 0 288 12-31-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: posabsolute
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 692 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Tuition Payment Options lidel 0 306 11-09-2023, 08:51 AM
Last Post: lidel
  GCU fined for misleading cost estimates clep3705 2 366 11-03-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Canada's Newest Medical School - Opening 2026 at SFU bjcheung77 1 338 11-01-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: Duneranger