Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing my Job questions!
Bob,

There was, for me, a great psychological advantage to interviewing while I still had a full time job. Not needing the job put me at ease and really helped me be myself in the interview process. I missed a couple, then earned a good position.

I would keep my eyes open for all the opportunities, by that I mean that there may be many jobs outside of what you currently do that offer a chance for you to use your skills in a new way. As an Emergency Manager I see that you have worked in the chemical industry and immediately think "Haz-Mat" team. There might be some hospital or industrial complex that will hire you to do contingency planning and secure their facility.

Despite a tough economy there are many opportunities for a well packaged candidate that can display versatility and willingness to succeed.

Reb,
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:Bob,

There was, for me, a great psychological advantage to interviewing while I still had a full time job. Not needing the job put me at ease and really helped me be myself in the interview process. I missed a couple, then earned a good position.

THIS. I think that makes a huuuuggge difference. Add: everything from the way you carry yourself to the tone of your voice to your posture. When you go out NOW you are on the offense, you can pick and choose (so to speak) and you make the decisions. When you are out of work, you're desperate and too eager, people smell that a mile away.
cookderosa Wrote:THIS. I think that makes a huuuuggge difference. Add: everything from the way you carry yourself to the tone of your voice to your posture. When you go out NOW you are on the offense, you can pick and choose (so to speak) and you make the decisions. When you are out of work, you're desperate and too eager, people smell that a mile away.

Definitely agree. It's not unlike buying a car before you really need one or anything in life where desperation comes into play. You just have that extra confidence when you don't absolutely need what it is that you're looking at/interviewing for/etc and you can hold more of the cards that way.

Sorry to hear about your news, but best of luck. These guys on this forum are great for inspiration and good advice, hope you stick around Smile

Goal: BSBA in CIS

1[SIZE=1]20
credits required, 33 to go!
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]34) - Various Credits/Classes
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
Money & Banking (70) - 10/27/11
Statistics (466) - 01/30/12
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
Org Beha[SIZE=1]vor (55) - 04/03/12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

Next up: 30 days of Straighter[SIZE=1]line for Accounting I[SIZE=1], Accounting
II & Business Communication[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Once again thanks for the great advice. Reb you are correct about feeling more at ease when you have a job. I have been looking through jobs online and trying to get a feel for what is out there. This is a great place for positive info and your all posts have made feel better. I guess at first your shocked, then angry, then finally you accept what has happened and then time to plan your next step.
Thanks,
Bob
A.A. Penn State
B.A. Charter Oak State College
M.B.A. Andrew Jackson University In Progress
Bob Wrote:Once again thanks for the great advice. Reb you are correct about feeling more at ease when you have a job. I have been looking through jobs online and trying to get a feel for what is out there. This is a great place for positive info and your all posts have made feel better. I guess at first your shocked, then angry, then finally you accept what has happened and then time to plan your next step.
Thanks,
Bob

I'm just thinking out loud....can you amp up your MBA and finish it before all this goes down? Might make a huge difference!
cookderosa Wrote:I'm just thinking out loud....can you amp up your MBA and finish it before all this goes down? Might make a huge difference!

Jennifer, this is a great point about the value of an MBA on a resume. While I will be the first one to say that MBA's are a dime a dozen, it's still better than not having one. That being said.... if you can't finish the MBA, don't exclude it from your resume and LinkedIn page. On LinkedIn, you can see who has viewed your profile and yes I check this daily or at least weekly. I have had a significant increase in the number of recruiters who have both viewed my profile AND contacted me since I added my MBA to my profile. My MBA is in progress and I am just a few months into it, but it seems like just having "MBA" on it, makes it somehow come up in recruiter searches more frequently. This is my totally unscientific opinion... all I know is that I used to get contacted like once every 6 months or so and now it happens monthly. Recruiter visits to my profile are at least 2-3x a month. I'm not in the market for a new job right now, but my odds are better if I wanted to find one than if no one were looking at me.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
I am with Burb on the whole MBA thing. Atleast it can be on your resume when applying for a new job the minute you start your MBA. As Burb mentioned there are plenty of MBA's out there but having one is better than not having on. That is my first stop after the beginning of the New Year. MBA land.Smile Just do it Bob, just do it!!!!!!!
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
Quote:I'm just thinking out loud....can you amp up your MBA and finish it before all this goes down? Might make a huge difference!

I believe I can get it done in time. I still have 4 classes left but they are work at your own pace. I have been taking only 1 at a time because we had been so busy at work for the last year and a half. I sure have renewed motivation to get it done.
Thanks,
Bob
A.A. Penn State
Bob,

I've been through a few layoffs - so I understand what you're going through. The good news is that you have 3-6 months to sort this out. I would agree with the advice to start to put out feelers. Also, this is a great time for reflection. You appear to have a solid educational background, and I'm unsure of what exactly you do for the chemical company. If you're specialized (IE a chemist to that specific industry) you may have to broaden your horizons.

Judging by the MBA, you may work on the business end. You can look at how those skills may be applied to more stable or emerging industries that have a large runway in terms of career advancement. If you start looking for jobs and you receive an offer, I'd carefully consider if. You'll want to think about your own financial situation, what the severance looks like (how much does it pay, for how long) and how you can do on unemployment.

Say you get offered a job that has a low rate of pay, is a company that you don't want to work for, but know you will be in good shape with the size and length of your severance, unemployment, etc - this is certainly worth considering. Don't just just because you feel to. (Unless you have to - to eat).

Being around 50 isn't necessarily a disadvantage. Well formed company still see you have many years of longevity, but a solid resume and work experience behind you. They may consider you stable, knowledgeable, and competent. Just make sure your resume and interviewing skills are up to date. You may also want to consider alternate routes.

Since your MBA is in process - many states offer programs where you're laid off for additional training and will cover the cost of school while you're on unemployment.

Good luck to you!
Goforbroke, thanks for the advice. It has been an experience getting use to the idea that our plant is closing. We may find out in Jan. about a possible closing date so we still have some time, possibly 6 months. I have been working on my resume and actually went to the area career center for resume writing workshop, but their information seemed a little out dated. One of my co-workers had an interview that he believes went very well and should know something soon so we are all picking his brain on what he was asked etc. Once I get a better handle on the closing date I can make a firm decision on severance etc. Just found out that a co-worker who left about 6 months ago for another job, just got laid off.
Thanks again,
Bob
A.A. Penn State

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to Stay Sane in a World That's Losing It's Mind LevelUP 0 386 06-04-2023, 01:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,007 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  FREE Udemy - PMP 2020 Practice tests - 6th Edition - 600 questions bjcheung77 2 1,165 01-03-2020, 11:28 AM
Last Post: doom
  FREE Udemy - PMP Practice tests 6th Edition - 500 questions+explanations bjcheung77 7 1,723 12-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Weird interview questions Sparklette 10 2,407 03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Sparklette
  Homeschool 4th Grade Curriculum Questions... mrs.b 21 2,454 04-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Last Post: mrs.b
  Company Name Trademark Questions taylor 3 1,353 03-12-2013, 02:14 AM
Last Post: taylor
  Editing and other questions 29palms 2 1,181 08-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Last Post: NAP
  Losing Motivation plutoon 17 2,037 09-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Programming Questions laoshijeff 13 2,261 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Last Post: scorched