Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Low cost ACE reviewed history courses from Shmoop.com
mickey20 Wrote:I'm wondering if "Modern European History" will fulfill the TESU Info literacy.

I don't think it will, you can always email the advising team just to be sure and on the safe side... but I would recommend having an alternative.
Here's the info from their TESU website: Thomas Edison State University | General Education - 2016 or After
This is a compiled list from Sanantone: Sanantone's TESC General Education Options After July 1, 2015 - Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Yes i think you are right~ :iagree:
Armor611 Wrote:Below is the reply I received from TESU. Just to clarify the note on history 1492-1877, I already have a CC U.S History course that transferred as HIS-113.

Modern European History (College) - Shmoop Online Courses Will transfer in as HIS-221 European History II

U.S. History: 1492-1877 (College) - Shmoop Online Courses will transfer in as HIS-113 and will duplicate.

U.S. History: 1877-Present (College) - Shmoop Online Courses Will transfer in as HIS-114. US History II . It will not duplicate HIS-113

You just save me an email! I was just going to email them earlier and read this a second time... Good job!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Armor611 Wrote:Below is the reply I received from TESU. Just to clarify the note on history 1492-1877, I already have a CC U.S History course that transferred as HIS-113.

Modern European History (College) - Shmoop Online Courses Will transfer in as HIS-221 European History II

U.S. History: 1492-1877 (College) - Shmoop Online Courses will transfer in as HIS-113 and will duplicate.

U.S. History: 1877-Present (College) - Shmoop Online Courses Will transfer in as HIS-114. US History II . It will not duplicate HIS-113

Bummer. I was really hoping that the Modern European History would somehow fulfill a UL SS requirement. Guess I need to keep working on my current plan and stop getting side tracked by other possibilities. Lol!
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
I have now finished the Shmoop Modern European History course with a score just above 70 (passing). I tried to do the automatic process via ACE to get the credits transcripted, but had the same issue as another person on this forum. Shmoop isn't yet set up for the automatic process. They told me it should be a couple days and then it will work.

As for the course itself, ACE says it takes 30 hours to complete, and I would say that is fairly accurate. I don't know anything about European history (I suppose I learned some in high school, but that was 40 years ago). Anyway, the course did require reading all the material, clicking most of the supplementary links and watching most of the linked videos. Still, it was entertaining and interesting, and I did learn the material.

For reference, I have been doing this alternative credit process for quite a while, and have taken courses in Study.com, Sophia, Straighterline, ALEKS, Edx/ASU, TEEX, Institute of Insurance, Saylor and taken DSST, CLEP's and TECEPs, so I'm quite familiar with all ways of getting credit. I would say that the course (for me) is more thorough than any of the formats (except maybe EdX/ASU and Saylor), and more difficult to pass. However, it is faster to complete than most as well.

The fact that there isn't proctoring for the final, does make me wonder though if they will need to address that. While "cheating" is possible (by googling or whatever), I don't think that will help (because test questions are so specific to the material). However, there is nothing preventing someone from cheating by allowing another person to take the course on their behalf, and I personally find that unacceptable.

There are pros and cons to this format, and it all depends on what kind of learner you are.

Pros
Grade based on chapter quizzes and a final - all cumulative - so it is not all stakes on one test
You can take each quiz and final twice if you want (different questions though)
No proctoring - so no hassles with systems and scheduling
Fairly entertaining
Mostly reading (which I like)
Boiled down 200 years of history into 30 hours of reading
Open course - allows you to review course during test (best I can tell this is allowed)

Cons
Quiz questions are VERY specific to the reading (annoyingly so), and are less "big picture", but rather testing to see if you read the material
Search function doesn't work well at all
Typos and broken links
ACE process still needs to be ironed out
All reading - lots of text (which may be a turn off for some)
Only way to pass is to go back through the course and ferret out the answers (after having read everything)
You have to take all quizzes and tests to complete the course - no shortcuts, no speed reading - it is a full course
No proctoring - so cheating could occur
Quote:The fact that there isn't proctoring for the final, does make me wonder though if they will need to address that.

Hasn't seemed to be an issue with ALEKS for years, though I am curious as to why that's the case.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Where does the HIS-221 fit into a BSBA degree plan? I don't see that course number listed on the TESU website so is it only a free elective?
ndelcollo Wrote:Where does the HIS-221 fit into a BSBA degree plan? I don't see that course number listed on the TESU website so is it only a free elective?

I'd imagine it'd fit under the Social Sciences section of Knowledge of Human Cultures section (as US History does), but of course check first.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

I know this isn't likely since a few folks have said that the exams are so specific to the material, but let's say someone well-versed in history signs up for the free 1-day trial, knocks out one of the courses by skipping to the quizzes/exam and passes dry, could they get free credit?

This is theoretical only, I am not a history buff and wouldn't have any chance at taking this dry.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

ndelcollo Wrote:Where does the HIS-221 fit into a BSBA degree plan? I don't see that course number listed on the TESU website so is it only a free elective?

The list of courses on TESU's website for Gen Ed's is just a list of the specific courses they offer. They don't list every single course number of every course that might possibly be accepted. If you have another course you're bringing in from somewhere else, it will fit with other similar courses. So find all of the HIS courses, and that's where another HIS course would work.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,309 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 214 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 886 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,466 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,827 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,032 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 2,037 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 575 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 328 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM