Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowest cost Straighterline B&M friendly school
From my scan of schools listed on SL website to two cheapest (assuming you get an in-state waiver) are Grambling and Northwestern State of LA.

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/

I'm currently working on a degree program with COSC and need 22 hr. UL classes (30 less, 6 SL and 2 AICPC).

I have about 30 hours with SL and I'm looking for a low-cost School, not listed on the SL website, that is SL friendly.  

Thanks,
(02-21-2018, 01:04 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: From my scan of schools listed on SL website to two cheapest (assuming you get an in-state waiver) are Grambling and Northwestern State of LA.

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/

I'm currently working on a degree program with COSC and need 22 hr. UL classes (30 less, 6 SL and 2 AICPC).

I have about 30 hours with SL and I'm looking for a low-cost School, not listed on the SL website, that is SL friendly.  

Thanks,

Straighterline list is the best source I have found that represents ACE credit - it's certainly better than ACE's own list which is a crap shoot. The SL list has partnerships you can count on, but also some of the schools have scholarships. We are using Franklin University which takes 20 SL courses (60 credits) and then gives 10% off tuition after that as a SL scholarship. Is it the cheapest? That's impossible to answer. It depends on your major, how efficiently you've obtained transfer credit, etc. My kids both did the same thing- 60 credits via SL and 12 credits at the CC, so starting at 72. We are waiting on an evaluation to see if their "other" ACE credit will come in- between them, they both have TEEX and Sophia in varying amounts and my older son has some additional CC courses that may be able to come in as electives. BEST CASE is 90 in transfer leaving 30 taken in house (about $14,000 with scholarship), but of course those are the major (upper level) so if you flipped it an had upper level major to bring in, completing the gen eds/lowers would be much cheaper. Also, how much someone pays for SL depends no the codes available at the time... a lot of variables the way you're asking. Additionally, assuming you qualify for a Pell Grant, you can divide that between 2 years or just use it in 1 - that changes things by almost $6000 too. In our case, we hope to get full Pell for both kids over 2 years and pay roughly $1000 oop per son per year. So is it the cheapest? For an RA BS degree in Logistics, I'm 99.99% certain this is the best price they can get.
Thanks,

My degree plan is attached, I like most started with LL classes and am struggling to get the UL classes without going broke.  

I think I've come a long way but getting the 22 hours of UL will be tougher than picking up 98 hours of LL classes.

Attached Files
.xlsx   COSC Info Systems.xlsx (Size: 53.94 KB / Downloads: 10)
I would say that you are MUCH better off going somewhere like WGU than COSC for a computer-related degree. That one from COSC is going to be very expensive.

Your other option, if you don't want to go to WGU or a competency-based school, is to find one like TESU where they have a comprehensive enrollment plan, and one price gets you a lot of credits (similar to how a lot of schools charge by the semester rather than per credit). TESU has a plan where you can get a study.com discount, and enroll for $6350 and take 36cr in a single year. If you can really buckle down and get all of those credits, including all of the UL credits you need and the capstone, in the year timeframe, you can really save yourself a boatload of cash.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-21-2018, 02:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say that you are MUCH better off going somewhere like WGU than COSC for a computer-related degree.  That one from COSC is going to be very expensive.

Your other option, if you don't want to go to WGU or a competency-based school, is to find one like TESU where they have a comprehensive enrollment plan, and one price gets you a lot of credits (similar to how a lot of schools charge by the semester rather than per credit).  TESU has a plan where you can get a study.com discount, and enroll for $6350 and take 36cr in a single year.  If you can really buckle down and get all of those credits, including all of the UL credits you need and the capstone, in the year timeframe, you can really save yourself a boatload of cash.
Thanks,

I looked into WGU, but I do not understand the concept of CU and/how they would transfer.  I love COSC and the whole advising worksheet, I assume TESU has the same.  I assume at most I'll need 8 classes that are UL at a cost of $1,300 or so or about $10k. I haven't bet the farm on COSC, but feel a little pot invested.  I'm currently taking two CIS classes (intro computers at local CC & intro to programming at Allen CC) and a public speaking class at NMJC.  I know I kinda screwed up and will end up with some extra credits but this is my progress which started in October of 2017.  

My original plan was to get 48 cr. hours to enlist and get a rank of E-3, but thought hey, why not go for the BS and get commissioned.

Attached Files
.pdf   Blacklined.pdf (Size: 1,013.36 KB / Downloads: 7)
I'm confused what you mean by "SL friendly". If you're getting your degree from COSC, then classes taken at any RA school will transfer there. It doesn't matter if they have a relationship with SL.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Some B&M won't let you take the UL classes without prerequisite classes or if I change my mind and want to go B&M what choices do I have.
Honestly, if you are going to join the military with a degree, why wouldn't you just get the fastest, cheapest degree? And then let the military pay for a MA at some point if you really want one? Why spent $10k on your BA? And again, if your goal is military, why go the B&M route? I guess I'm not getting the point of what your ultimate goal is here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-22-2018, 07:22 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: Some B&M won't let you take the UL classes without prerequisite classes or if I change my mind and want to go B&M what choices do I have.

SL has their list here: https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/

You pretty much have to click through the list to see how friendly a particular school is. But I personally think that you're overthinking it all. Make your plan for COSC (or TESU or WGU), execute it, get your degree, and don't look back. Then you don't have to worry about all these "what about...."
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Law School Admission Council GPA kitkat 4 71 Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 524 03-29-2024, 01:19 AM
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 174 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,441 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 333 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 323 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 711 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 437 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 632 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,342 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP