Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lowest cost online MBA's (USA or Abroad)
(01-31-2021, 05:18 PM)innen_oda Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 09:48 AM)monchevy Wrote: "University of the People" and "Goucher" aren't really comparable in the Ridiculous School Name stakes. UoP is more like "The School of Hard Knocks" or "The University of Life."

Some rando on the sister board had a similar thought: https://www.degreeinfo.com/index.php?thr...ost-543639. Not sure who they are, but I've heard they know a thing or two about hiring.

Really, if anyone is genuinely concerned about how hiring managers are going to view your degree - ask them! Some of the advice in this thread isn't great (and I can tell who has never been a hiring manager by their far-too-involved research for CCU, what on earth are you all doing reading multiple forum posts and going to PAGE FIVE of google results???).

If you have a hiring manager for a friend, they'll probably help you for free, but frankly, paying one for a brief review of your resume would be well worth the expense (and we always appreciate being recompensed for our insight). Even 10 or 15 minutes of their time can help you to understand the realities of hiring, and how irrational it can be. Call a few recruitment agencies (if you're prepared for the ugly side), or ask your friends if they know anyone - guaranteed someone will know at least a few professionals who can provide insight.

No hiring manager is the same, but in general, hiring managers are simultaneously disinterested and overinvested in hiring, which has a lot of impacts on your chances of moving forward - rightly or wrongly. It's both better and worse than you think, but almost definitely far less fair than you'd like.

But seriously, leave UotP off your resume. It looks ridiculous.

I have hired people many times in my career. I only went to page 5 of the CCU search results to see what Rachel was talking about re: diploma mill accusations.

And I never saw your post on the other board. Those names are from Facebook.
(01-31-2021, 11:35 AM)monchevy Wrote: American College of Education always cracks me up. It sounds like a diploma mill run by overseas scammers who think it's the most official-sounding name imaginable. 

I also dislike colleges with people names. We used to have one in NYC called "Audrey Cohen College." Come on. Who'd want that on their CV? They finally wised up and changed it to "Metropolitan College of New York," which isn't great, but still an improvement.

What about Harvard College/University, named after John Harvard?
(01-31-2021, 08:14 PM);)eLearner Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 11:35 AM)monchevy Wrote: American College of Education always cracks me up. It sounds like a diploma mill run by overseas scammers who think it's the most official-sounding name imaginable. 

I also dislike colleges with people names. We used to have one in NYC called "Audrey Cohen College." Come on. Who'd want that on their CV? They finally wised up and changed it to "Metropolitan College of New York," which isn't great, but still an improvement.

Not as bad as Leland Stanford Junior University. What the heck is a junior university?  Sounds like a community college that is full of itself, if you ask me.  Wink
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • eLearner, monchevy
(01-31-2021, 08:14 PM)eLearner Wrote:

Not the same. That would be more like "Cohen College," which sounds better than "Audrey Cohen College." They've done what they should have done all along... named the college itself something more legit-sounding, and named one its schools after Ms. Cohen. That's fine.
(01-31-2021, 09:44 PM)monchevy Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 08:14 PM)eLearner Wrote:

Not the same. That would be more like "Cohen College," which sounds better than "Audrey Cohen College." They've done what they should have done all along... named the college itself something more legit-sounding, and named one its schools after Ms. Cohen. That's fine.
Johns Hopkins University named after Johns Hopkins?
(01-29-2021, 03:36 PM)theedude Wrote: Manipal University Jaipur, India ($412 per semester, $1647 for full MBA):
www.onlinemanipal.com

MUJ looks good, but as always, there is a catch.

Holders of degrees awarded by non-Indian universities will need to submit an Equivalence Certificate obtained from the AIU (Association of Indian Universities). 

And this will only work for B&M degrees.... since the AIU states in its info brochure:

DEGREES AWARDED BY THE FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES FOR STUDIES UNDERTAKEN THROUGH OPEN/DISTANCE/CORRESPONDENCE / ONLINE/VIRTUAL MODE etc: 61. As of now, the AIU does NOT accord Equivalence to such foreign degrees that have been obtained for studies undertaken through open/distance/correspondence/online/virtual modes(s) etc ;

So unfortunately, until the AIU changes its policy, people with online bachelors degrees are SOL.

Of course, the only way to know for sure with these kinds of things is to actually submit a Big Three or UMPI degree for evaluation and see what they come back with.
(02-01-2021, 08:12 AM)Zardoz Wrote:
(01-29-2021, 03:36 PM)theedude Wrote: Manipal University Jaipur, India ($412 per semester, $1647 for full MBA):
www.onlinemanipal.com

Holders of degrees awarded by non-Indian universities will need to submit an Equivalence Certificate obtained from the AIU (Association of Indian Universities). 

And this will only work for B&M degrees.... since the AIU states in its info brochure:

DEGREES AWARDED BY THE FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES FOR STUDIES UNDERTAKEN THROUGH OPEN/DISTANCE/CORRESPONDENCE / ONLINE/VIRTUAL MODE etc: 61. As of now, the AIU does NOT accord Equivalence to such foreign degrees that have been obtained for studies undertaken through open/distance/correspondence/online/virtual modes(s) etc ;

So unfortunately, until the AIU changes its policy, people with online bachelors degrees are SOL.

Of course, the only way to know for sure with these kinds of things is to actually submit a Big Three or UMPI degree for evaluation and see what they come back with.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you live in the United States and you get a degree from Manipal, couldn't you just submit your records to a NACES evaluator like you would with any other foreign degree in order to establish validity?
(02-01-2021, 08:27 AM)eLearner Wrote:
www.onlinemanipal.com

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you live in the United States and you get a degree from Manipal, couldn't you just submit your records to a NACES evaluator like you would with any other foreign degree in order to establish validity?

In order to study at Manipal in the first place, you have to get your degree evaluated by the Indian equivalent of WES. And we don't know if they'd accept a degree from TESU or the like, with all of the alt credit, in the first place.

The Indian (for AIU) site is super sketch; they don't have the fees listed anywhere I can find unless/until you create an account with them. But it looks like the fees are (according to other sites) about $200USD.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • eLearner, Zardoz
(02-01-2021, 08:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 08:27 AM)eLearner Wrote:
www.onlinemanipal.com

In order to study at Manipal in the first place, you have to get your degree evaluated by the Indian equivalent of WES. And we don't know if they'd accept a degree from TESU or the like, with all of the alt credit, in the first place.

The Indian (for AIU) site is super sketch; they don't have the fees listed anywhere I can find unless/until you create an account with them. But it looks like the fees are (according to other sites) about $200USD.

Ah, I see. For some reason I took the evaluation part as only an after-the-fact matter.

That online restriction is so archaic and moreso given that they have Universities of their own offering online degree programs. The AIU appears to be the only recognized foreign evaluator in India so that's quite a door slammer for foreign distance learners.
I agree. It is archaic and hypocritical. And, if you skim the AIU brochure, it says that you must pay the fees by snail mail and/or bank draft. For most Americans, I think a bank draft adds another $50-200. There's the fee for the bank draft + the fee for something like Express Mail to ensure that it's delivered to the intended recipient...

I get that a lot of people in India don't have bank accounts but I would think that most foreigners or Indians with foreign degrees would have access to a credit/debit card and/or direct bank transfers!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • eLearner

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 30 18,401 3 hours ago
Last Post: LevelUP
  Gardner-Webb University: 10-12 month online MBA? PaperAssistant 7 296 04-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 360 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 643 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 549 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 701 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 398 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 596 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,915 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 629 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas