Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MA counseling credits
My brother is looking to do liberty's MA in counseling. With the 50% transfer credits that are available he wants to really get the most bang for his buck. What are some MA online counseling programs (or courses) that would probably fit into the degree plan that would work? I've heard of University of the Cumberlands has cheap per credit rates. Does anyone know any hidden gems?
bumping this.
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

This is a very bad idea. Most states require counseling education for licensure to be accredited by or adhere to the standards of CACREP. Beyond this many states require synchronous learning, and particular content for the course of study, for each course, and limit amounts of transfer credit, and that's not to touch practicum and internship experiences that run into the thousands of hours. The best way to guarantee licensure eligibility is to attend a CACREP accredited program in its entirety OR become exceedingly familiar with the licensure and eligibility statutes and regulations for your profession in your state and gamble with the possibility.
Has he checked the requirements in his state for licensing? I would start there and see what the state requires before selecting a school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • eLearner
See if there are any bridge programs in his state. I see them popping up more because I think it's finally being understood that there are a ton of degree holders in the mental health field who can't get licensed with their degree due to state regulations and the fact that most programs in that field don't have the necessary components to meet them. In that situation, he could (generally) take a mental health program from any school anywhere and simply finish the necessary hands-on hours through the bridge program.
(03-01-2021, 02:32 AM)eLearner Wrote: See if there are any bridge programs in his state. I see them popping up more because I think it's finally being understood that there are a ton of degree holders in the mental health field who can't get licensed with their degree due to state regulations and the fact that most programs in that field don't have the necessary components to meet them. In that situation, he could (generally) take a mental health program from any school anywhere and simply finish the necessary hands-on hours through the bridge program.

There are Masters programs that don't meet state licensing requirements and people will often do a post-Masters CAGS program (Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study)  These are easy to find but they may not all be available completely online.  As eLearner said, pick one in your state as it will have been designed specifically to meet your state licensing requirements.  Here's an example
https://www.northeastern.edu/graduate/pr...ology-638/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,171 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,590 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Strategies to aquire 18 credits and teach jb111 5 389 02-05-2024, 02:00 AM
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,077 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
  Graduate transfer credits Aya 17 1,341 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Aya
  Question for Amberton University MAPD/Counseling students/grads Amberlinjeanne 3 682 06-21-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  MBA without a degree? Possible to transfer credits from Masters towards Bachelors? FM1 13 1,841 05-09-2023, 05:56 PM
  Counseling Degree Dr. Who 8 1,136 02-11-2023, 02:28 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests