Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner Questions.
(06-15-2019, 08:21 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 02:06 AM)T321 Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The GED will also cost you about $120, depending on where you live.  You could conceivably pass all of the tests in a single day, and be done vs. many months of a HS diploma.

And, if you get college credit on top of it, then it really won't matter whether you get the diploma or GED.  Just like an AA becomes unimportant when you get a BA.  And a MA trumps a BA.  Once you get that higher degree, everything else becomes moot.
I understand. Going such a route could save a lot of time and money (In the possibility I take more than a month to get the diploma after enrollment.) that could be used to study other things while I would only need to brush up social studies and english mostly in preparation. 

While it wouldn't make too much difference in the future if I had the plan to further my studies. Taking a variety of clep tests or dsst's during this time would give me the confidence and proper preparation for a higher possibility at achieving such a goal.

Rather than just spending more time going to a school and I could just almost immediately head to get the degree. So, this time could just be focused solely on earning credits for college overall and learning without needing to do some of the high school credit courses otherwise.

I plan to go to Charter Oak State College for online courses, but I've to check when they're not busy if they allow for a general studies computer science degree to be completed online or I'll readjust.

Based on this reasoning and my consistency I should be able to get a degree sooner than the two years I had thought of.

Remarkable, I already thought it was the best plan, but there were still other possibilities. 

Again, I'm grateful as due.

Charter Oak is not the best choice for a computer science degree since your major will be in general studies, and your concentration will be in computer science studies. WGU and TESU have computer science programs.
I was actually considering between TESU and COSC, but finally chose the latter as I thought TESU was more literature based. This completely changes my choice. Thank you.
(06-15-2019, 09:25 AM)T321 Wrote:
(06-14-2019, 06:01 PM)dfrecore Wrote: The GED will also cost you about $120, depending on where you live.  You could conceivably pass all of the tests in a single day, and be done vs. many months of a HS diploma.

And, if you get college credit on top of it, then it really won't matter whether you get the diploma or GED.  Just like an AA becomes unimportant when you get a BA.  And a MA trumps a BA.  Once you get that higher degree, everything else becomes moot.
I understand. Going such a route could save a lot of time and money (In the possibility I take more than a month to get the diploma after enrollment.) that could be used to study other things while I would only need to brush up social studies and english mostly in preparation. 

While it wouldn't make too much difference in the future if I had the plan to further my studies. Taking a variety of clep tests or dsst's during this time would give me the confidence and proper preparation for a higher possibility at achieving such a goal.

Rather than just spending more time going to a school and I could just almost immediately head to get the degree. So, this time could just be focused solely on earning credits for college overall and learning without needing to do some of the high school credit courses otherwise.

I plan to go to Charter Oak State College for online courses, but I've to check when they're not busy if they allow for a general studies computer science degree to be completed online or I'll readjust.

Based on this reasoning and my consistency I should be able to get a degree sooner than the two years I had thought of.

Remarkable, I already thought it was the best plan, but there were still other possibilities. 

Charter Oak is not the best choice for a computer science degree since your major will be in general studies, and your concentration will be in computer science studies. WGU and TESU have computer science programs.
I was actually considering between TESU and COSC, but finally chose the latter as I thought TESU was more literature based. This completely changes my choice. Thank you.

What do you mean by literature-based?

COSC doesn't offer most of the classes for its CS concentration. You would have to transfer in most of the CS courses, which you were probably planning to do anyway. TESU offers all the classes required for its CS program. Other than that, the requirements between the two degrees aren't that different. TESU's program used to be tougher, but they dropped some of the math and lab science requirements.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-15-2019, 09:33 AM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 09:25 AM)T321 Wrote:

What do you mean by literature-based?

COSC doesn't offer most of the classes for its CS concentration. You would have to transfer in most of the CS courses, which you were probably planning to do anyway. TESU offers all the classes required for its CS program. Other than that, the requirements between the two degrees aren't that different. TESU's program used to be tougher, but they dropped some of the math and lab science requirements.
I think it was mostly because when I looked up TESU's computer science bachelor degree which I'm checking more now I saw this part:
I. General Education Requirements
A. Intellectual and Practical Skills
  • Written Communication
[color][font]
(6)
[/font][/color]
  • Oral Communication
[color][font]
(3)
[/font][/color]
  • Quantitative Literacy
[color][font]
(3)
[/font][/color]
  • Information Literacy
    SOS-110: Living in the Information Age
[color][font]
(3)
B. Civic and Global Learning
[/font][/color]
  • Diversity
[color][font]
(3)
[/font][/color]
  • Ethics
[color][font]
(3)
[/font][/color]
  • Civic Engagement
[color][font]
(3)
C. Knowledge of Human Cultures
D. Understanding the Physical and Natural World
4-7
E. General Education Electives[/font][/color]
...And completely thought it was less computer based than COSC's which was this:

Discrete Math*
3 cr
Calculus I and II*
6 cr
Linear Algebra
3 cr
ITE 102: Introduction to Computer Science*
3 cr
Algorithm Development and Data Structures
3 cr
ITE 410: Software Engineering (or Software Systems Design)
3cr 
ITE 220: Networking & Data Communications
3 cr
ITE 430: Database Management and Design (or Database Systems)
3 cr
ITE 225:Computer Organization (or Computer Architecture)
3 cr
Electives:
  • Compilers
  • Analysis of Algorithms
  • Survey Comparison of Programming Languages
  • Microprocessors
  • Operating Systems
  • Or other faculty-approved area
[color][size][font]
3 cr
CSS 499: Capstone
3 cr[/font][/size][/color]
Co-requisites:
9 Credits required:
  • 6 credits in Logic, from the following:
  • Programming Logic
  • Philosophical Logic
  • Digital Logic
  • Mathematical Logic
  • 3 credits in Technical Communication
Every college has general education requirements. TESU lists its general education requirements on every degree page, but COSC does not. You still have to take social science and humanities courses to complete your degree. You don't need any literature courses to complete the TESU degree; they're just one option for humanities.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-15-2019, 09:49 AM)sanantone Wrote: Every college has general education requirements. TESU lists its general education requirements on every degree page, but COSC does not. You still have to take social science and humanities courses to complete your degree. You don't need any literature courses to complete the TESU degree; they're just one option for humanities.

Thank you for clarifying that as I would've completely misunderstood.
Since you are only 19 and have the time you might be better of getting a computer science degree from a local state university. Find a college that accepts them and you could use CLEPs and DSSTs to transfer in most of your gen eds. Or even better, go at CC and use CLEP and DSSTs. If you find the right University you would only need to take 30 credits (one year of full time enrollment) with them and transfer the rest from CC, CLEP and maybe DSST. You could get a brick and morter college degree under the traditional 4 years time frame if you planned right. A college near me accepts 60 credits by exam, with that you could be done in 2 years.

Unless you a set on getting your degree online this is at least worth considering. If you qualified for the Pell Grant and scholarships depending on where you go it wouldn't be too much more expensive, but I think the education would be a lot better. You might have access to more connections who give you jobs/internships and point you in the right direction and help you figure things out. TESU and COSC are designed for working adults who already have careers and want to finish their degrees quickly. They don't even have real professors and if you go the route most people take on this fourm, you are teaching yourself. That is not to say that everyone that goes to these schools falls into this category, or even everyone on this forum falls into this category, but that is who the schools are designed to serve. If you are still figuring your life out you might gain more from completing school on campus at state school. It is all up to you, though if you want to do online school then do it.

Either way I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Focus on getting your GED or Diploma and while doing so, take some CLEPs that correspond with the subjects you taking for gen eds that are likely to be accepted wherever go. All of the big 3 are generous with CLEPs and many other Universities are too. Start from there. You don't have to have it all figured out.
(06-15-2019, 11:04 AM)natshar Wrote: Since you are only 19 and have the time you might be better of getting a computer science degree from a local state university. Find a college that accepts them and you could use CLEPs and DSSTs to transfer in most of your gen eds. Or even better, go at CC and use CLEP and DSSTs. If you find the right University you would only need to take 30 credits (one year of full time enrollment) with them and transfer the rest from CC, CLEP and maybe DSST. You could get a brick and morter college degree under the traditional 4 years time frame if you planned right. A college near me accepts 60 credits by exam, with that you could be done in 2 years.

Unless you a set on getting your degree online this is at least worth considering. If you qualified for the Pell Grant and scholarships depending on where you go it wouldn't be too much more expensive, but I think the education would be a lot better. You might have access to more connections who give you jobs/internships and point you in the right direction and help you figure things out. TESU and COSC are designed for working adults who already have careers and want to finish their degrees quickly. They don't even have real professors and if you go the route most people take on this fourm, you are teaching yourself. That is not to say that everyone that goes to these schools falls into this category, or even everyone on this forum falls into this category, but that is who the schools are designed to serve. If you are still figuring your life out you might gain more from completing school on campus at state school. It is all up to you, though if you want to do online school then do it.

Thank you, but I'm truly set on online schooling. 

Rather, I prefer if I just read a book of direct information with various sources on my own and I find it easier to learn. I wouldn't necessarily learn from somebody trying to explain it to me...unless it's one on one maybe and I may actually fall behind from experience. I didn't even listen most of the time to what the teachers were saying or couldn't relax in a group (Very hard to control anxiety at the time where I couldn't be calm and would look anywhere else while playing with one of my school supplies in a group of about 30.) unless it was a lesson where you had to do something, but it's hard to actually process for me no matter the subject if they just verbally taught. 

Only for practical experience would it more helpful just watching another demonstrate. For example during music class to sing a song nothing would come out when I opened my mouth while I was clueless on how to begin. I would have to later ask a schoolmate "Can you first demonstrate?"(I actually hated my first music teacher because she would always make things harder for me when I couldn't keep up with the lessons and it was another student who helped.) or my first interest in piano was just watching someone playing and copying a few simple holiday/t.v show songs they showed me when I came up to ask. For cross-stitch and I couldn't even understand from the book. I could only use the information as a supplement when I saw an older woman doing the design in the book while she talked. Images and models could also work sometimes in a small group with proper teaching. As I remember being 'thrown' into a science class on the chromosomes of the human body when I was twelve at one time and the teacher was very creative to explain while the topic would sometimes be switched to the current project that class was doing with a great atmosphere, but the information stuck.
[-] The following 1 user Likes T321's post:
  • natshar
(06-15-2019, 01:33 PM)T321 Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 11:04 AM)natshar Wrote: Since you are only 19 and have the time you might be better of getting a computer science degree from a local state university. Find a college that accepts them and you could use CLEPs and DSSTs to transfer in most of your gen eds. Or even better, go at CC and use CLEP and DSSTs. If you find the right University you would only need to take 30 credits (one year of full time enrollment) with them and transfer the rest from CC, CLEP and maybe DSST. You could get a brick and morter college degree under the traditional 4 years time frame if you planned right. A college near me accepts 60 credits by exam, with that you could be done in 2 years.

Thank you, but I'm truly set on online schooling. 

Rather, I prefer if I just read a book of direct information with various sources on my own and I find it easier to learn. I wouldn't necessarily learn from somebody trying to explain it to me...unless it's one on one maybe and I may actually fall behind from experience. I didn't even listen most of the time to what the teachers were saying or couldn't relax in a group (Very hard to control anxiety at the time where I couldn't be calm and would look anywhere else while playing with one of my school supplies in a group of about 30.) unless it was a lesson where you had to do something, but it's hard to actually process for me no matter the subject if they just verbally taught. 

Only for practical experience would it more helpful just watching another demonstrate. For example during music class to sing a song nothing would come out when I opened my mouth while I was clueless on how to begin. I would have to later ask a schoolmate "Can you first demonstrate?"(I actually hated my first music teacher because she would always make things harder for me when I couldn't keep up with the lessons and it was another student who helped.) or my first interest in piano was just watching someone playing and copying a few simple holiday/t.v show songs they showed me when I came up to ask. For cross-stitch and I couldn't even understand from the book. I could only use the information as a supplement when I saw an older woman doing the design in the book while she talked. Images and models could also work sometimes in a small group with proper teaching. As I remember being 'thrown' into a science class on the chromosomes of the human body when I was twelve at one time and the teacher was very creative to explain while the topic would sometimes be switched to the current project that class was doing with a great atmosphere, but the information stuck.

gotcha. If you are set online then do that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 176 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,264 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,638 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 757 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  5 Questions to Answer When Creating a Positive Online Presence for College Acceptance LevelUP 0 416 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  HSE questions Celiics 9 1,270 10-31-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Celiics
  Questions about Davar Academy "Business class". qiaoyiren 11 1,785 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions about TEEX’s Death Investigation course Michelle779 3 1,664 06-23-2020, 10:49 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  New to the forum, couple questions. ARhead 29 4,417 03-12-2020, 08:07 PM
Last Post: ARhead