Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MBA with no proctored exams
(05-17-2022, 10:14 PM)Znow Wrote: I had several issues with ProctorU and that's why I left LSUS. It would log me off in the middle of a test and I would end up with that grade. When I would protest to ProctorU they said to talk to the professor. The professor would tell me since it was a tech issue there's nothing they could do. Tech problems are covered in syllabus. I went as far as buying a new laptop. I figured maybe it was my laptops RAM. Unfortunately, proctorU would still crash.

That sucks! It's too bad the school wouldn't do anything about the problem. There's a log so they could see what happened.
Anything that depends on minute-to-minute consistent high-speed internet will be inaccessible to some people who are rural, international, or transient (e.g., traveling locum workers in health, trades, or entertainment who live in motels, over-the-road truckers, or military while deployed or doing remote exercises). Some in that transient category will also be unable to coordinate regular paper-based exams sent to third-party local proctors like libraries or college testing centres.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(05-18-2022, 07:58 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Anything that depends on minute-to-minute consistent high-speed internet will be inaccessible to some people who are rural, international, or transient (e.g., traveling locum workers in health, trades, or entertainment who live in motels, over-the-road truckers, or military while deployed or doing remote exercises). Some in that transient category will also be unable to coordinate regular paper-based exams sent to third-party local proctors like libraries or college testing centres.

Many libraries and college testing centers were closed for 2 years where I live. They're still not fully reopened. Those that have reopened are on reduced hours. All of this would create issues for many people as well. I was looking at a school that required proctored exams and they could be done at a library. None were open here! So I had to pass on that program. I'm beginning to wonder if many things will ever go back to their normal schedule and reopen like they were before the pandemic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
I'm starting to think that ProctorU needs to update their servers. That, or they outsourced them to the lowest bidder. I never have an issue gaming online, and I make zoom calls often. My WiFi download speed is normally around 120 mbps. It's only ProctorU screens that dont load or crash on me. Maybe their servers can't handle the growing amount of online exams?
I think that ProctorU is also using poorly-coded end-user software. Most video call or gaming software can handle the minor blips (in the millisecond to 1 or 2 second range) that happen as a matter of course when doing something online. ProctorU does not seem to have any of this robustness built in. I would guess that at least some of this may be by design. It keeps students from cheating!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-19-2022, 01:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I think that ProctorU is also using poorly-coded end-user software. Most video call or gaming software can handle the minor blips (in the millisecond to 1 or 2 second range) that happen as a matter of course when doing something online. ProctorU does not seem to have any of this robustness built in. I would guess that at least some of this may be by design. It keeps students from cheating!
I'd actually rather take a quick weekly quiz instead of writing essays all week. However, if I find out a program uses ProctorU, I'm staying 1 million miles away from it.
[-] The following 3 users Like Znow's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts, Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB - exams MCDL 108 13,009 03-21-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Wowbagger
  Competency-Based MBA Programs without proctored tests klone 4 803 09-01-2023, 11:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online MPH Program No Exams? newdegree 8 1,512 08-23-2021, 01:59 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Programs Heavy on Exams/Light on Papers ReyMysterioso 9 2,192 04-07-2019, 06:09 PM
Last Post: amilitab4k9
  Hate exams, but want a Master's? You're in luck! kevinmane 9 2,738 09-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Last Post: RANSOMSOUL