Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MSK9's Medical School Thread & Guide
(12-10-2019, 05:01 PM)xspect Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:55 PM)humboldtjake Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 03:50 AM)MSK9 Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:19 AM)humboldtjake Wrote: Nice reading about your journey! I am a physician recruiter and have been for 9 years.

Being a DO is great! For most states, you get your licensed after PGY-1 (1st year of residency) and this will allow you to moonlight sooner than your MD counterparts. Can save you a lot of money in the long-term.

I would strongly urge you against the Carribean schools. Not because they are not comparable, but because it can be a lot harder to get into residency than an AMG (American) school. I know plenty of physicians that were not able to get a residency spot and have not practiced.

Remember, when you go an IMG (International) graduate, you compete against graduates from all around the world and it becomes much harder.

DO is the way to go. 

Here are some schools to consider:

DO:
Touro University California 
Touro University Nevada
California Health Sciences University
Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine

MD:
Kaiser Medical School in Pasadena (TUITION FREE)
California Northstate University

You're right, based on my research it is certainly more challenging securing a residency (especially a competitive one) as an International Medical Graduate. That said, I know several (all Americans) who had a much easier time matching than non-American graduates.

I'm certainly not opposed to DO - in fact, most of my applications are for DO programs. As I understand it, the DO application cycle interview invitations can go out as late as March/April, so I'm still waiting on word from many of the schools I've applied to. Thanks for your input!

What is your background (aside from recruiting), if you don't mind me asking?

I start, manage, and operate medical practices as well. Prior to my 9 years as a recruiter, I was a Broadcast Journalist on an NPR affiliate in CA.

Do you also recruit for mid-levels. Like Pysch Nurse practitioners (PMHNP). If so can you tell me if there are jobs out there and whats the range in the deep south like Mississippi. I have one year left before I graduated

My company is focusing on just doing telemedicine roles. We will be focusing heavily on rural areas in the South to help local clinics utilize augmented staff for psychiatric consultations.
This is amazing! Best of luck!
West Texas A&M: MBA (In Progress) 6/14 Completed
Financial Accounting Leveling (Completed)
Statistics Leveling (Completed)
Finance Leveling
Managerial Accounting
Corporate Finance
Economic Applications  (Completed)
Management Information Systems
Quantitative Analysis
Consumer Theory (Completed)
Leadership (Completed)
Business Integration
International Business (Completed)
Elective
Capstone

TESU (Graduated 2016)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Kaskadian's post:
  • MSK9
(12-10-2019, 10:04 PM)Kaskadian Wrote: This is amazing! Best of luck!

Thank you!
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
Update:

St. George's University School of Medicine (MD):
Accepted

*I have until March to pay my reservation deposit, so I'll definitely be holding out a bit longer to see if any other interviews come my way.
[-] The following 9 users Like MSK9's post:
  • alexf.1990, allvia, cookderosa, GoodYellowDogs, japhy4529, Jonathan Whatley, tesu-acct-student, tifferbugz, truthling
(12-13-2019, 02:44 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Update:

Accepted

*I have until March to pay my reservation deposit, so I'll definitely be holding out a bit longer to see if any other interviews come my way.

Congratulations! That's fantastic!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(12-13-2019, 03:32 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 02:44 PM)MSK9 Wrote: Update:

Accepted

Congratulations! That's fantastic!

Thank you!
Congrats on your admission! Curious if you ever considered UQ Ochsner?
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

(12-15-2019, 08:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is my count wrong- do you still have 15 you're waiting to hear from?

I need to update it. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head but I'll check when I get home. It probably won't be until sometime after the new year that I hear anything else.

(12-15-2019, 10:17 AM)Yanji Wrote: Congrats on your admission! Curious if you ever considered UQ Ochsner?

Thank you! I'm going to hold out as long as I can just because going to a US-based school would make things easier but St. George's is my "safety net" school. I did consider the Ochsner program but Australia is so much farther away. At least in the Carribean or Ireland, trips back and forth to the states won't be so expensive and time consuming.
Congrats!

(I used to hang around here).

No way would I consider an IMG route for a US practitioner. I spent about 8 months guarding one such school. They left me... underwhelmed, to say the least.
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(12-16-2019, 11:09 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: Congrats!

(I used to hang around here).

No way would I consider an IMG route for a US practitioner. I spent about 8 months guarding one such school. They left me... underwhelmed, to say the least.

Everyone's mileage varies, but I know several IMGs personally and all are quite accomplished. None of them had any additional difficulty in matching, unlike what some internet medical communities would lead me to believe (looking at you, SDN..). Could you elaborate a bit further on your experience or what you meant by "guarding?"

St. George's has offered me a sizeable scholarship (large enough that it makes a considerable difference in tuition) and a free trip to tour the school (airfare and lodging) though my plans haven't changed as far as waiting for more invitations.

(12-15-2019, 08:22 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Is my count wrong- do you still have 15 you're waiting to hear from?

14:

VCOM x 4 locations
PCON x 3 locations
Michigan State MD and DO
Tulane MD
NYITCOM
Royal College of Surgeons
MUCOM
OUHCOM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,665 516,568 5 hours ago
Last Post: rachel83az
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 880 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,842 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,341 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,279 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,350 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,500 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,204 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger