Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major and Minor at UMPI Rough Plan
I hope this is the right spot for this. I am doing Supply Chain Management at UMPI and thinking of minoring in Management Information Systems. If I do the minor its going to be 2 extra classes at UMPI (the others cross over thru the major or I can take them elsewhere: sohpia, ect) There are still 4 LL classes that I want to take outside of UMPI because I have to take English there and the Mat 140 I think? (from what I read, no sophia math transfers) So I am trying to get all LL done elsewhere to lessen my classes at UMPI. The 4 I want to take elsewhere if anyone knows where: 

Bus 200 Intermediate Business Computing, 
Bus 218 Materials and Inventory Management; 
Bus 231 Total Quality Management; & 
Bus 245 Programming for Managers

The ones underlined are the ones that cross over (for the minor)
Core Business Classes
BUS 101: Introduction to Business (Sophia)
BUS 150: Introduction to Financial Accounting (Sophia)
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing 
BUS 220: Managerial Accounting (study.com)
BUS 244: Management Information Systems (study.com)
BUS 325: Financial Management (UMPI)
BUS 353: Legal & Ethical Environment of Business (UMPI)
BUS 440: Business Analytics (UMPI)
BUS 469: Strategic Professional Communication (UMPI)
ECO 207: Macro & Micro Economics (Sophia)
MAT 140: Mathematics for Business (Sophia)
PCJ 215: Business Communication (study.com)

SCM Concentration                                
BUS 218: Materials and Inventory Management 
BUS 231: Total Quality Management 
BUS 240: Change Management (study.com)
BUS 323: Fundamentals of Supply Chain and Logistics (UMPI)
BUS 363: Sourcing Analysis (UMPI)
BUS 412: Supplier Relationship Management (UMPI)
BUS 415: Operations Management (study.com)
BUS 452: Channel Management (UMPI)

MIS Minor
BUS 141: Introduction to Project Management (Sophia)
BUS 200: Intermediate Business Computing 
BUS 244: Management Information Systems (study.com)
BUS 245: Programming for Managers 
BUS 345: Database Management Systems (UMPI)
BUS 440: Business Analytics (UMPI)

I still have 10 UL classes listed for UMPI so that requirement will be filled, I just need to find out if this looks good and get the other 4 classes, listed above, elsewhere if possible. I will be taking Spanish and American History thru IC and Biology thru SDC and Im basically doing all the sophia classes in hopes that they transfer as something worth something LOL

Please send me any feed back on this and let me know your thoughts. I really cant see giving up the minor when its only 2 extra classes but since I have those 4 I can't find elsewhere I might have to just to lower my UMPI classes or its going to end costing me a lot of money. 

Thank you
I personally would plan out the first degree (SCM) and see how far you get; if you get to the point where you have time left, keep going with the MIS minor. It doesn't make sense to stop if you still have time; but it may not make sense to take another term either. So best to play it by ear. At some point, you can decide if getting the minor is worth it or not.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
These classes can't be taken outside of UMPI and transferred in from alter credit sources.

College Algebra and Introduction of Statistics from Sophia absolutely do transfer to UMPI! They do not count for the math required for the BABA degrees as you have an additional math class. Algebra and stats count for the GEC and general electives. Business Math which is MAT140 does not count for the GEC and is a major requirement.

You also have to watch how many UL courses you take elsewhere. You must complete most of them at UMPI. This is a university policy.
(08-04-2021, 08:33 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I personally would plan out the first degree (SCM) and see how far you get; if you get to the point where you have time left, keep going with the MIS minor.  It doesn't make sense to stop if you still have time; but it may not make sense to take another term either.  So best to play it by ear.  At some point, you can decide if getting the minor is worth it or not.

Thats a great idea! I'll just see what happens and then take those other classes if I have time. Thanks

(08-04-2021, 08:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote: These classes can't be taken outside of UMPI and transferred in from alter credit sources.

College Algebra and Introduction of Statistics from Sophia absolutely do transfer to UMPI! They do not count for the math required for the BABA degrees as you have an additional math class. Algebra and stats count for the GEC and general electives. Business Math which is MAT140 does not count for the GEC and is a major requirement.

You also have to watch how many UL courses you take elsewhere. You must complete most of them at UMPI. This is a university policy.

I meant that the those classes dont transfer as a math class. That sucks about those classes because that puts me well over 10 for the degree and I am probably only going to be able to do 3 a session...Okay thanks for your answer. Now I can finalize what I want/need to do.
(08-05-2021, 10:59 AM)TPG Wrote: I meant that the those classes dont transfer as a math class. That sucks about those classes because that puts me well over 10 for the degree and I am probably only going to be able to do 3 a session...Okay thanks for your answer. Now I can finalize what I want/need to do.

30 credits is the bare minimum they require you to complete at UMPI. Most people take more than 10 classes at UMPI because of the GEC and the UL requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 64 Yesterday, 02:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 13 416 04-19-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 618 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,071 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 238 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 12 508 04-13-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 16 602 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 366 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,085 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB