Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making sense of TESU BSBA General Management degree requirements
It is time to get serious, and we don't really know where to go from here.  My daughter started taking CLEP exams at 12 and has accrued 73 credits to date.  We are ready to move a little more deliberately toward the finish line.  I've attached an in-progress spread sheet that shows current status of acquired passes.  I think I have figured out TESU's requirements for what is left, but our spreadsheet has A LOT of holes.  I plugged in what I think are equivalent CLEPs and DSSTs for some of the remaining courses, but much of the business stuff leaves me confused.  We've always done CLEP/DSST because it is familiar, but it looks like we need to branch out.  Can someone suggest ways to fill the holes in our degree plan?  Maybe there is a chart somewhere?  Also, if there are alternatives to any of the exams we've plugged in as possible fulfillment to required courses, we'd love to know that too.  Thanks in advance for any help.   Shy

Attached Files
.pdf   TESU Degree Path ~ BSBA in General Management.pdf (Size: 87.54 KB / Downloads: 269)
[-] The following 2 users Like stampbuyme's post:
  • eriehiker, Murdockb
That is a beautiful spreadsheet.

Your plan is good. I didn't notice anything wrong, but people like dfrecore are better at the details than I am.

If you want to go more cheaply, your daughter can take some of the Saylor exams for $25 each:

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses

Davar also has a nice business subscription right now that lets you take two exams per month for $99.

http://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

Both of those can be taken at home on your computer with an online proctor, so they are quicker than cleps.
There are TONS of options for you outside of CLEP/DSST, but I love that you're maximizing the credits where you can (with all of those 6cr courses).  You missed a course she can take via DSST: Public Speaking.

Obviously your daughter is good at test-taking, so she could do Saylor courses/exams, which are only $25.   They have Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Stats, Marketing, Business Comm, BUS206: Management Info Systems (for computer req), and BUS303: Strategic IT (for MAN AOS UL).

I personally wouldn't do Straighterline (not Straightliner) unless I was going to do at least 2 courses in the month, to cut costs.  I also would look for coupons.  A lot of the courses she has left can be had through SL.

She should apply for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, which would give her 6 free courses over 3 months.  If she doesn't get it though, she should sign up for the College Accelerator Plan and take 2 courses.  Then, she should apply at TESU as a Study.com affiliate member, which will do a lot for her.  First, it will waive the Cornerstone requirement ($300 saved).  Then, it will give her a discount on the Residency Waiver if she can pay it before 6/30.  Third, it will give her a discount on the Capstone if she registers before 6/30.

Here are the courses she can take through STudy.com to fulfill requirements left to take:
- For Oral Comm: COM 101: Public Speaking or COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
- ACC 102: Managerial Accounting
- For International Business requirement: BUS 120: International Business
- For Business/Managerial Comm requirement: BUS 113: Business Comm
- Several UL Accounting courses are available including ACC 301: Applied Managerial Acct, ACC 401: Advanced Acct, ACC 303: Cost Accounting
- Several UL MAN courses: BUS 306: Strategic HRM, BUS 311: Project Management, BUS 314: Employment Law, BUS 315: Logistics and Supply Chain Management, BUS 303: MIS (should come in as UL)
- UL Marketing course: BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising
- a LL FIN course, FIN 104: Financial Management
- a bunch of LL MAN & ACC courses
She needs to choose at least 4 UL courses and 2 LL courses, and then the courses must be from at least 3 of the 4 areas (ACC, FIN, MAN, MAR).

Business Ethics & Society will go up in the Ethics area, and World Religions will go down to Free Electives (Gen Ed is full, plus World Religions is not an Ethics course).

Here is my spreadsheet so you can see what is available in each area, especially for the AOS.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU BSBA GenMan.xlsx (Size: 39.75 KB / Downloads: 181)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Murdockb, schlocker
(01-08-2018, 08:26 PM)eriehiker Wrote: That is a beautiful spreadsheet.

Your plan is good.  I didn't notice anything wrong, but people like dfrecore are better at the details than I am.

If you want to go more cheaply, your daughter can take some of the Saylor exams for $25 each:

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses

Davar also has a nice business subscription right now that lets you take two exams per month for $99.

http://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

Both of those can be taken at home on your computer with an online proctor, so they are quicker than cleps.

Thank you!  I will check out Saylor & Davar.

(01-08-2018, 09:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There are TONS of options for you outside of CLEP/DSST, but I love that you're maximizing the credits where you can (with all of those 6cr courses).  You missed a course she can take via DSST: Public Speaking.

Obviously your daughter is good at test-taking, so she could do Saylor courses/exams, which are only $25.   They have Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Business Law, Stats, Marketing, Business Comm, BUS206: Management Info Systems (for computer req), and BUS303: Strategic IT (for MAN AOS UL).

I personally wouldn't do Straighterline (not Straightliner) unless I was going to do at least 2 courses in the month, to cut costs.  I also would look for coupons.  A lot of the courses she has left can be had through SL.

She should apply for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship, which would give her 6 free courses over 3 months.  If she doesn't get it though, she should sign up for the College Accelerator Plan and take 2 courses.  Then, she should apply at TESU as a Study.com affiliate member, which will do a lot for her.  First, it will waive the Cornerstone requirement ($300 saved).  Then, it will give her a discount on the Residency Waiver if she can pay it before 6/30.  Third, it will give her a discount on the Capstone if she registers before 6/30.

Here are the courses she can take through STudy.com to fulfill requirements left to take:
- For Oral Comm: COM 101: Public Speaking or COM 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
- Several UL Accounting courses are available including ACC 301: Applied Managerial Acct, ACC 401: Advanced Acct, ACC 303: Cost Accounting
- Several UL MAN courses: BUS 306: Strategic HRM, BUS 311: Project Management, BUS 314: Employment Law, BUS 315: Logistics and Supply Chain Management, BUS 303: MIS (should come in as UL)
She needs to choose at least 4 UL courses and 2 LL courses, and then the courses must be from at least 3 of the 4 areas (ACC, FIN, MAN, MAR).

Business Ethics & Society will go up in the Ethics area, and World Religions will go down to Free Electives (Gen Ed is full, plus World Religions is not an Ethics course).

Here is my spreadsheet so you can see what is available in each area, especially for the AOS.

Thank you so much for this detailed response! 
I have corrected the Ethics flub.  As the the public speaking DSST, we can't find anyone close to us that offers that exam.  Confused 
Would you recommend the Study.com version over SL?

I can't say that I fully understand all of this, but you have certainly pointed me in the right direction for getting a clue.  The fog I think is lifting, but I am pretty sure I'll be back with more specific questions once I process all of this. Blush  You have been a tremendous help.

(01-08-2018, 09:15 PM)dfrecore Wrote: There are TONS of options for you outside of CLEP/DSST, but I love that you're maximizing the credits where you can (with all of those 6cr courses).  You missed a course she can take via DSST: Public Speaking.

And your spreadsheet... PERFECT!  So helpful  Thank you! 
Quick question-- You say to move World Religions into free electives.  Those 6 credits allotted as electives don't have to be in business?   They are truly free?  Am I understanding this correctly?
Yes, Free Electives has nothing to do with your major - they are just "free", and take your extra credits that won't fit in your major or Gen Ed's. Unfortunately, the BSBA only has 6cr available there (as opposed to other degrees, where there are up to 27cr available.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • stampbuyme
(01-09-2018, 02:45 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, Free Electives has nothing to do with your major - they are just "free", and take your extra credits that won't fit in your major or Gen Ed's.  Unfortunately, the BSBA only has 6cr available there (as opposed to other degrees, where there are up to 27cr available.

Hmmm...  We kind of started on this business path because when we started everything we read said a BSBA in Gen. Management from TESU was the easiest way to go.  Is that not really the case now?  I just peaked at Liberal Arts and see that 27 credits available as free electives.  We are just using the degree as a foundation, so it doesn't really matter what it's in.  She has no idea what she wants to do ultimately.  Just enjoying learning right now.  Since she has very few business credits, wondering if we should shift gears.
The BALS gives you the most freedom of choice and is often the easiest degree to get quickly and cheaply, especially if someone has a lot of random credits. The BSBA is popular because the business courses are easy to find and it is such a generally useful degree in the job market. I would class them as equally quick in your situation.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • stampbuyme
(01-09-2018, 03:15 PM)stampbuyme Wrote: Hmmm...  We kind of started on this business path because when we started everything we read said a BSBA in Gen. Management from TESU was the easiest way to go.  Is that not really the case now?  I just peaked at Liberal Arts and see that 27 credits available as free electives.  We are just using the degree as a foundation, so it doesn't really matter what it's in.  She has no idea what she wants to do ultimately.  Just enjoying learning right now.  Since she has very few business credits, wondering if we should shift gears.

At one point, the TESU BSBA was the fastest and cheapest because 1) it only required 12cr of UL; 2) you could take the capstone as a TECEP exam rather than an online course; and 3) it was the easiest to find UL credits for.

#2 went away last year, so that made it not the cheapest, nor the fastest any longer.  So now, it's about the same cost for the BSBA and the BALS (and several other degrees there).

If your daughter doesn't know what she wants to do, I would advise the BALS.  Keep in mind that most of the business courses can't be used in the BALS except in the Free Electives area.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • stampbuyme
dfrecore- what about the statistic class needed for BSBA General Mgmt degree. Would Business Statistics transfer in for Statistics? What about a Probability and Statistics instead of Statistics 101? Also, for a non mathy kid, which route would you suggest to get these credit hours? Thanks.
Also, I read in the thread above - only 6 elective credit hours? What about the 17-20 General Electives? Are they not “free” classes? By that I mean can’t my son just take any classes he wants to fulfill the general electives section? Sorry I meant to PM this
Also keep in mind of she doesn't apply to TESU by July and take the cornerstone it is replaced with a 3 credit 12 week long course that costs over $1000. The current cornerstone is self-paced is $300 and can be done it in a few hours or less easily.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 764 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Operations Management Cert Add-on Dosada 2 144 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,987 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 293 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 265 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 248 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 238 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat