Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Management Test Battery (MTB) Exam?
Hey folks,

Is anyone here familiar with this exam, or has taken it previously?

I had never heard of it before, but apparently, the MTB is a standardized exam for management-level positions and is commonly used by local and state governments and in some corporations. I've been invited to take the test (which is scheduled for March 1st) and am trying to figure out what I need to do to prepare, if anything.

From what I gather, the exam itself is a two and a half hour simulation that describes a fictitious organization and presents several different scenarios with 80 questions with multiple-choice answers which are weighted to measure problem-solving, leadership, decision-making, interpersonal development, HR management, communication, team building, conflict management, and process improvement skills. But that is about all I know about it. Based on that alone it seems like it should be pretty straight-forward with my background and education, but if I'm going to take the time to do it, I might as well aim for a top score.

I'm curious if anyone here has taken this exam, or one of the related exams (the supervisor test battery and operations management test battery) and can provide any information or tips about it? I couldn't find any online study guides, but I did find one on Amazon which I'll probably pick up just in case.

While this isn't specifically an academic exam, it seems relevant for anyone pursuing a business degree or seeking employment at the management level post degree conferral. I debated posting this here or in the off-topic discussion area, but figured I'd leave it here for now and move it later if it seems like a better fit.

Thanks!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Never heard of it. But after reading your post, I searched online and came across this. https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/Fi...ATTERY.pdf

There are some suggestions for books you could read and prepare yourself for the test.
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
(02-15-2019, 03:49 AM)Supermind Wrote: Never heard of it. But after reading your post, I searched online and came across this. https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/Fi...ATTERY.pdf

There are some suggestions for books you could read and prepare yourself for the test.

Thanks. I was sent a letter with the same information, though it isn't really helpful considering the limited time I have to prepare. There is no way I will have time to read all those books, and even if I could, there is no guarantee that they would be helpful anyway since I imagine they are just generic "how to manage" books, of which I've already read a ton over the years. Heck, I've run management training sessions that probably cover a lot of the same material.

I am hoping to find a study guide or something that provides some example questions to use for preparation. I found a prep book on Amazon that I'm hoping will be like a CLEP prep book to give me a better idea of what to expect on the exam as well as help point out areas that I need to work on. That book appears to have example exam questions, so it may be sufficient.

That said, I'd also like to hear from folks who have taken it as to their experience with the exam. Considering this exam is used all over the U.S., it sounds like there should be a ton of people who've taken it. As such, I suspect that there are forum members who have taken it, but they may not regularly read the forums. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
If I may ask you, who approached you and why? Is it related to you completing your BSBA at TESU?

Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 

(02-15-2019, 04:20 AM)Supermind Wrote: If I may ask you, who approached you and why? Is it related to you completing your BSBA at TESU?

It is related to completing my degree, but indirectly.

Basically, a former coworker who works for the City of San Francisco knows I just completed my degree and has recommended me for a management position in the city. Since this role requires a bachelor's degree (in business or IT) at a minimum, I just became eligible. The MTB exam is apparently a requirement for this kind of civil service position. The exam is by invitation only and they only offer it a few times a year, so I must take it in two weeks to qualify for this position.

I've never worked in civil service before, but it seems interesting so I figured I'd pursue it to see where it leads.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
Great! Thanks for sharing! I wish you all the best, and May you once again strike gold in this test!

I have no information to give you about this test, but want to wish you luck!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(02-15-2019, 04:54 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 04:20 AM)Supermind Wrote: If I may ask you, who approached you and why? Is it related to you completing your BSBA at TESU?

Basically, a former coworker who works for the City of San Francisco knows I just completed my degree and has recommended me for a management position in the city. Since this role requires a bachelor's degree (in business or IT) at a minimum, I just became eligible. The MTB exam is apparently a requirement for this kind of civil service position. The exam is by invitation only and they only offer it a few times a year, so I must take it in two weeks to qualify for this position.

I've never worked in civil service before, but it seems interesting so I figured I'd pursue it to see where it leads.

Merlin - did you take the test on March 1st?  I am interested in learning more about this test and have a MTB coming up on March 13th.  Could you please share your experience here and also let me know if the prep book on Amazon was at all helpful?
(02-15-2019, 04:54 AM)Merlin Wrote:

@Merlin
Why is the City of San Francisco asking for you to take a management test (MTB) when you have an MBA? Do you know if management positions at the city require the test if they have MBA's from other schools besides WGU?

The reason I am asking, I have started the MBA program at WGU and wondering if there is a bias against the school or something else?
(03-08-2020, 02:30 PM)bigtest Wrote: Merlin - did you take the test on March 1st?  I am interested in learning more about this test and have a MTB coming up on March 13th.  Could you please share your experience here and also let me know if the prep book on Amazon was at all helpful?

Yes, I took it last year. I found the prep book on Amazon to be somewhat useful. Most of the example questions in the book were not very helpful, but it gives you an idea of how the exam is formatted and presented so you know what to expect... I found that to be very helpful. I did pretty well on the test overall... coming in around a high "B" equivalent, which put me in the top 3 candidates.

(03-08-2020, 07:06 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: @Merlin
Why is the City of San Francisco asking for you to take a management test (MTB) when you have an MBA? Do you know if management positions at the city require the test if they have MBA's from other schools besides WGU?

The reason I am asking, I have started the MBA program at WGU and wondering if there is a bias against the school or something else?

The position I was being interviewed for required a minimum of a bachelor's degree and the preference of an MBA. Though at the time, I had not yet started on the MBA. They did take my letter of acceptance into the MBA program as part of my application though. They didn't seem to have any issue with the degree provider. As for the MTB, they require all candidates for management roles to take the MTB test as part of the filtering process for candidate qualification... it doesn't matter what school they attended or what prior degree they may have attained.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Colleges bring back ACT/SAT after finding test-optional policies hurt minorities LevelUP 1 149 03-16-2024, 11:17 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 467 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,196 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Project Management Training: ENEB, Google or others? JPN 9 2,320 12-08-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Exciting News at ENEB! Introducing test-type exams to fast-track your studie akr680 37 5,421 10-27-2023, 06:53 AM
Last Post: karehiro
  TECEP Operations Management colinsr 4 576 10-09-2023, 11:06 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 2 940 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Last Post: WHOASIS1
  SPECIFIC EXAM FEEDBACK SECTION….. ShotoJuku 1 660 04-01-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: katsoulis
  7 Time-Management Tips for Online College Students LevelUP 0 457 02-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Degree choices. BA Supply chain management vs BLS with an MIS minor Schlafen 12 994 01-31-2023, 12:06 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree