Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marines
My daughter is in the Marines in Oceanside CA at Camp Pendleton. She is looking into a degree in Criminal Justice. I guess the Marines have courses available to them from Central Texas College. Anyone else have any experience in this area. I know TESC has a degree program also. I wonder about EC. I hope to turn her on to IC. Maybe some military people can advise me.
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Finished my degree 6-15-06
56 previous college credits (from 1987)
9 Dantes (Statistics, Ethics, World Religions)
9 CLEP (Socialogy, Prin of Management, American Gov.)
67 credits for my A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant)
TESC - BSAST- Aviation Maintenance Technology[/COLOR]
I hold a two-year degree (not in Criminal Justice) from Central Texas College. An odd aspect of my CTC education is that it was completed after leaving the service.

Anyway, the school accepts CLEP and DANTES exams. Academic residency for a criminal justice associate degree is only 16 semester hours. Plus, all the courses for the CJ degree are available online. For Texas residents, the tuition cost is an absolute steal. For active duty military, TA generally covers most tuition costs.

I've visited the main campus on numerous occasions. It's located across US 190 from Fort Hood. The distance learning counselors are quite helpful both in-person and from afar. In fact, I just viewed the distance learning website, and a support person was available at 10:30 PM CST to answer questions via chat. Exams for many classes are unproctored.
TA for active duty is 100% now isn't it?
[SIZE="1"]CLEPS:
[COLOR="green"]Social Sciences and History
College Math
English Composition (no essay) [/COLOR]

DANTES:
[COLOR="green"]World Religions
Civil War and Reconstruction
Drug & Alcohol Abuse
Management Information Systems [/COLOR]

Excelsior:
[COLOR="Green"]Organizational Behavior
Ethics: Theory and Practice
World Conflicts since 1900
World Population [/COLOR][/SIZE]

All done! 42 credits by exam
Sammy Wrote:My daughter is in the Marines in Oceanside CA at Camp Pendleton. She is looking into a degree in Criminal Justice. I guess the Marines have courses available to them from Central Texas College. Anyone else have any experience in this area. I know TESC has a degree program also. I wonder about EC. I hope to turn her on to IC. Maybe some military people can advise me.
Excelsior's School of Liberal Arts has a BS in Criminal Justice. Here's the link:

https://www.excelsior.edu/portal/page?_p...ema=PORTAL
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
TA for military is now at 100% with a cap of $250 per credit hour, and for the Navy they will pay for a total of 16 credit hours per year. BUT, you can get a waiver to extend your total cost to $4500.00 per year. That woudl be a total of 21 credit hours paid for from Excelsior College ($4500.00 / $205.00 <-- Military cost per credit hour).

The Marnie Corp TA is the same as the Navy, but I have no clue about the AF or Army.

Also, if you have used your TA up for the year (under the old cap) and paid for a class out of pocket, you can submit a TA form for the Military to pay for your class, and your school will refund you the money.

Scott
Scott

Intro to Sociology
US History I
Civil War & Reconstruction
American Dream
Social Science & History

121 Credits total <--- All Done! ! ! ! !

AAT Technical Studies Excelsior College
(Grad Date 6/16)
BS in Liberal Studies Excelsior College
(September 2006)
Thanks everyone. I will let her know.
[COLOR="Blue"]Dan
Douglasville, Georgia
Finished my degree 6-15-06
56 previous college credits (from 1987)
9 Dantes (Statistics, Ethics, World Religions)
9 CLEP (Socialogy, Prin of Management, American Gov.)
67 credits for my A&P license (Airframe and Powerplant)
TESC - BSAST- Aviation Maintenance Technology[/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy 234th Birthday Marines!! ShotoJuku 5 1,584 11-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Last Post: koichi