Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master of Science in Leadership OR Master of Arts in Liberal Arts
SweetSecret Wrote:I'm also seriously starting to debate volunteering overseas for a year or two if my disability filing goes through.

Why overseas?

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Thanks for the info.
I one of the lucky ones as my employer will foot the bill 100% so cost is not a primary concern.

So, here's another point to consider. Since your employer is paying for school, what are your chances of getting a promotion within your organization? What would that job entail? What credentials do the candidates in those positions have?

dmjacobsen Wrote:So, here's another point to consider. Since your employer is paying for school, what are your chances of getting a promotion within your organization? What would that job entail? What credentials do the candidates in those positions have?

Honestly,
There are only a handful of individuals who have anything beyond a high school diploma. Also, I am almost certain I am the youngest member of management.

The only requirement to receive TA is that I must sign a contract stating I promise to work for the company for at least two years beyond my graduation date and that the program be accredited. If I voluntarily leave before then I will have to repay. This is one reason I didn't want to use the TA for my undergraduate degree.

I enjoy my work and it's a great company to work for. However, there is not much room to grow. On the positive side, the pay is above average. I am happy where I am now but I look forward to new opportunities.
Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
Open College @ Kaplan University
Completed
April 2016

Master of Business Administration
Kaplan University now Purdue University
In Progress
32 out of 60 credits earned
futuremrsmlb Wrote:Honestly,
There are only a handful of individuals who have anything beyond a high school diploma. Also, I am almost certain I am the youngest member of management.

The only requirement to receive TA is that I must sign a contract stating I promise to work for the company for at least two years beyond my graduation date and that the program be accredited. If I voluntarily leave before then I will have to repay. This is one reason I didn't want to use the TA for my undergraduate degree.

I enjoy my work and it's a great company to work for. However, there is not much room to grow. On the positive side, the pay is above average. I am happy where I am now but I look forward to new opportunities.

Why not just take a cheaper option like the WGU or Patten MBA? It would keep the costs down so if you left it wouldn't be a huge number. With the business masters behind you tackle something you love but can cash flow like a MA from Ft. Hays or maybe WNMU.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
dmjacobsen Wrote:Why overseas?

I know other people who are on disability, and it really doesn't pay much, most of them are getting about $900/mo. I was used to making significantly more than that for years. I'm thinking volunteering overseas would give me an opportunity to gain insights from some very innovative programs while living cheaply. Then I could return back to the U.S. with better insight of how programs (the type I want to work for) could be more successful, and already have some very good experience to land a decent position... hopefully paying a good portion of the amount I used to make.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
SweetSecret Wrote:I know other people who are on disability, and it really doesn't pay much, most of them are getting about $900/mo. I was used to making significantly more than that for years. I'm thinking volunteering overseas would give me an opportunity to gain insights from some very innovative programs while living cheaply. Then I could return back to the U.S. with better insight of how programs (the type I want to work for) could be more successful, and already have some very good experience to land a decent position... hopefully paying a good portion of the amount I used to make.

I'm not fully versed on the laws and stipulations regarding disability. Isn't the point of disability that the recipient is unable to work? Not trying to start any kind of argument -- just trying to understand the process.

Ok, I've made my final decision. I will be pursuing a Master of Business Administration at Mount Olive College. Program begins 4/22. 3.0 gpa required or 2.5 with 5 years of working experience. I have both. My current GPA is 3.83.

Gmat or gre is not required but can be substituted for undergrad course work. They have an accelerated 1 year program which I have decided is best for me.

It looks like a really good program.

Thanks everyone for your advice
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
rebel100 Wrote:Why not just take a cheaper option like the WGU or Patten MBA? It would keep the costs down so if you left it wouldn't be a huge number. With the business masters behind you tackle something you love but can cash flow like a MA from Ft. Hays or maybe WNMU.

I am leery of a competency based curriculum. Also, my employer's TA requires grades. Courses graded on Pass or Fail basis are NOT eligible. Exams are not eligible for reimbursement either.
Completed
April 2016

In Progress
futuremrsmlb Wrote:I am leery of a competency based curriculum. Also, my employer's TA requires grades. Courses graded on Pass or Fail basis are NOT eligible. Exams are not eligible for reimbursement either.

My husband's company will not pay for competency-based programs either - they want specific courses. The also won't pay for any membership fees, like Straighterline or Study.com. Luckily, there are other ways to get the courses he needs (JumpCourse, Sophia, LowCostGenEd) in addition to exams. They will pay for pass/fail grades though, if that's the only way the course/exam is graded.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 516,782 3 hours ago
Last Post: nykorn
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 297 Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Phd in environmental science myopenledger 2 102 Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 484 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,515 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,617 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 199 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 547 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  ENEB MBA/Master + OTHM level 8 Postgraduate | Combination Evaluation ecdw94 4 713 02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone