Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Master's Program at Harvard Extension School
(12-05-2019, 12:19 PM)Yanji Wrote: (nobody would ever describe the HES Data Science program as a MS in Data Science, because it would be inaccurate to say so)

please expand
in what way is it inaccurate
(12-05-2019, 03:00 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 12:19 PM)Yanji Wrote: (nobody would ever describe the HES Data Science program as a MS in Data Science, because it would be inaccurate to say so)

please expand

Because MS in Data Science means something very specific - that the school awarded you a Master of Science degree with a major in Data Science. The HES degree is not a Master of Science degree, for one thing, and your major is Extended Studies - your concentration is in data science.

It'd be like describing a TESU BALS with a psychology concentration as a Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
> It'd be like describing a TESU BALS with a psychology concentration as a Bachelor of Science in Psychology

so the difference is basically in name only
Pretty much. The course work is pretty much the same. Some courses are even taught as residence courses at Harvard.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

(12-05-2019, 05:23 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > It'd be like describing a TESU BALS with a psychology concentration as a Bachelor of Science in Psychology

so the difference is basically in name only

In the case of the Harvard degree, yeah, I'd agree with that.

But a BALS in Psychology is hugely different from a BS or BA in Psychology. At TESU, for instance, you have to take over double the number of classes in Psychology to get the latter than you would for the former.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
if I ever get off my lazy butt and decide to do a Masters of Science in Data Science it would be this one
http://catalog.sps.cuny.edu/preview_prog...2&poid=607

^ scroll down for the curriculum

100% online

https://sps.cuny.edu/financial-aid-and-t...0/graduate
"Please note: Students in online degree programs pay the New York State tuition rate and do not need to establish residency."
12 more more credits = $5,545 per semester
I think this’s thread has gone way off topic. I wanted to outline something I thought was important for the poster, but it led to a derailment. I apologize and we should get back on topic.
(12-06-2019, 11:40 AM)Zachcleigh Wrote: I think this’s thread has gone way off topic. I wanted to outline something I thought was important for the poster, but it led to a derailment. I apologize and we should get back on topic.

Thank you @Zachcleigh

Yes, off topic for sure. The main question/discussion is about the learning experience at HES. Some how discussions about HES always derail into the HES degree, name, brand, open admissions, etc.
(12-05-2019, 04:34 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-05-2019, 03:00 PM)bluebooger Wrote:

please expand              

Because MS in Data Science means something very specific - that the school awarded you a Master of Science degree with a major in Data Science. The HES degree is not a Master of Science degree, for one thing, and your major is Extended Studies - your concentration is in data science.

It'd be like describing a TESU BALS with a psychology concentration as a Bachelor of Science in Psychology

I disagree with this. Firstly, Harvard doesn't use the term "major" for any of their degrees. The College uses "Fields of Concentration" to describe their majors.
[/url]. The Extension School uses the term [url=https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees]"Fields of Study" to describe its different degree focuses.

Secondly, your analogy is a bit off. A BALS from TESU is fundamentally different than a BS in Psych because it's more focused on Liberal Studies. The same isn't true of degrees earned from HES. "Extension Studies" does nothing to describe the subjects actually covered in the program. The only reason that language is in the degree is to differentiate it from the on-campus degree. The language is there purely to appease the other Schools. This is abundantly clear when you look at how Harvard wants you to list the degree on your resume:

• Bachelor [or Master] of Liberal Arts, Harvard University Extension School.
    • Include field of study, minor, and degree honors when applicable. 
  • Bachelor [or Master] of Liberal Arts, Extension Studies, Harvard University.
    • Include field of study, minor, and degree honors when applicable.
So long as you note that you earned the degree from Harvard University Extension School, you're free to leave off the "in Extension Studies" portion of the degree.
[-] The following 2 users Like alexf.1990's post:
  • FastTrackDegree, mudball

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,666 517,029 Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Last Post: nykorn
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 312 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 887 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Recognition of Execute Master Lorvey 10 486 03-19-2024, 02:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Master of Public Administration BSBRose21 9 1,523 03-18-2024, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Cheapest/Easiest Master's? Hellenic, WGU, UMPi? mohelena02 19 1,619 03-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 200 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 550 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  ENEB MBA/Master + OTHM level 8 Postgraduate | Combination Evaluation ecdw94 4 714 02-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer