Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters/ Doctoral Programs
Are online graduate programs "reputable" such as the ones from ASU Online?
It depends on what you mean by "reputable" and "online". There are certainly online grad programs from reputable institutions. In the computer science field, Georgia Tech and UIUC both have online master's programs. Harvard extension school offers grad programs in a number of fields, although they have a small on campus requirement (can be done over holiday breaks or during a vacation).

It all depends on what you are planning to do with the degree and whether you are likely to run up against some education snob that will not like where and how you got your degree...of course that happens with people who go to B&M schools, too. You really need to work backwards from the career you want to pursue in order to answer questions about the suitability of any particular school or degree.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Yenisei
Further to this, many many reputable schools have online courses and degrees through their distance education offerings. The degree you get in the end come from that school and it usually shouldn't indicate it was completed online. If it's all that much of an issue to you, "ask" the school of choice before enrolling in them.

The classes should typically be the same as any butt-in-seat course, where you have to finish the course within the 3-4 month term the same way a butt-in-seat class works, the only difference is the medium used to communicate and access the courses and their resources. Anyways, good luck on your Masters when you get there!

The prize at the moment would be getting that elusive Bachelors, but working it "backwards" by asking which "Masters" to get is a good thing none the less... *back to lurking*
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
ASU is reputable. Plus it's a party school, I'd recommend spending some time on campus Wink
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
[-] The following 1 user Likes videogamesrock's post:
  • quigongene
If you attend Harvard Extension, even though they do have on-campus courses, someone could easily guess that you probably attended online. With most other brick and mortar schools, there is absolutely no difference between their online and on-campus programs. Your transcript will not say "online," "distance," "global campus," etc. However, there is CSU Global Campus, which is an entirely online school; it has no brick and mortar component. In addition to Harvard, there are some schools that only offer their online programs out of their extension campus or professional studies department, and that will often end up on your transcript and/or diploma. ASU Online programs will not lead to a transcript that says "Arizona State University Online."

I graduated from Angelo State University with a master's degree completed online. Nothing on my transcript indicates that I attended online. As a matter of fact, everyone I come across assumes that I lived in San Angelo, TX because I'm from Texas.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-04-2017, 06:03 PM)chasey11442 Wrote: Are online graduate programs "reputable" such as the ones from ASU Online?

The degrees awarded and earned are the same as those conferred to on-campus students.

There are some people who do not care for degrees earned by distance learning, however.
(11-20-2017, 09:46 AM)Sagan Wrote:
(09-04-2017, 06:03 PM)chasey11442 Wrote: Are online graduate programs "reputable" such as the ones from ASU Online?

The degrees awarded and earned are the same as those conferred to on-campus students.

There are some people who do not care for degrees earned by distance learning, however.

IMHO, I think that will probably be changing sooner rather than later if the brick and mortars want to stay afloat.... 
Students have so many other options now, plus many of them include distance education in some format...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Data Analytics Programs ss20ts 9 309 29 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 693 11 hours ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 445 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,561 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 648 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 364 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,226 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,117 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,814 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Open University Malaysia has PhD programs below 10k USD nyvrem 2 428 02-19-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: armado