Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters In Business Analytics after MBA
So, I was just accepted into the University of Texas Rio Grand Valley Masters in Business Analytics (AACSB-accredited). I completed my MBA at ENMU.EDU two years ago and now want to add to my journey with a data driven masters. the programme is not particularly cheap at 472.43 per credit (33), but certainly not a bad name to add to one's resume. I have been accepted to every programme applied for since Excelsior, Including Columbia Uni.

What are your thoughts about this programme, I know GATECH offer a much cheaper option with great name recognition on Udacity and Coursera. I have been tempted to pursue NAU masters in computer information technology with focus in data analytics which cost 3k for a 6 months subscription. Any thoughts?
I think business analytics is a great field because you are using mathematics to solve business problems. Many people who make business decisions such as people I worked with at Qwest and Sprint simply made moronic decisions that could have easily been challenged using math and common sense. You would be a very attractive candidate with those skills.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Not directly on topic, but what was your experience like with Columbia university?  I've been considering them for my next step, but the cost/process has been detering me.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
(08-21-2019, 06:24 AM)mednat Wrote: Not directly on topic, but what was your experience like with Columbia university?  I've been considering them for my next step, but the cost/process has been detering me.

The application process was simple, however, in the end I decided not to attend due to cost restrictions, so I fully understand your apprehension, but I really wanted to. It was to the Applied Analytics Masters at SPS Columbia Uni.

I think UTRGV is a very good option. They are awarding 3500 scholarship for newly admitted students (Must maintain GPA of 3.0). The payments for that are 6 installments. So in the end the programme should cost just 12k and I hope to apply for more scholarships to make it even lower.

(08-20-2019, 08:34 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I think business analytics is a great field because you are using mathematics to solve business problems.  Many people who make business decisions such as people I worked with at Qwest and Sprint simply made moronic decisions that could have easily been challenged using math and common sense.  You would be a very attractive candidate with those skills.

What's your Experience like at Bellevue Uni? I thought about them for this programme.
As you know, an MBA is a general graduate business degree. A lot of programs offer concentrations but I do not believe that the 2 or so courses substantiate being a “master” or “expert” in that topic. I believe coupling an MBA with a specialized masters in accounting, finance, business analytics, etc. can help increase your value to a potential employer. You will have had the foundation of each aspect of business from your MBA and really fine tunes skills from your MS.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThatBankDude's post:
  • martialartist
(08-21-2019, 01:48 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: As you know, an MBA is a general graduate business degree. A lot of programs offer concentrations but I do not believe that the 2 or so courses substantiate being a “master” or “expert” in that topic. I believe coupling an MBA with a specialized masters in accounting, finance, business analytics, etc. can help increase your value to a potential employer. You will have had the foundation of each aspect of business from your MBA and really fine tunes skills from your MS.

That is my objective certainly. Completed a General Business MBA at ENMU.edu and want something else to highlight my love of numbers. I almost follow your path to a Finance Masters due in part to my affinity for anything finance.
(08-21-2019, 12:05 PM)martialartist Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 06:24 AM)mednat Wrote: Not directly on topic, but what was your experience like with Columbia university?  I've been considering them for my next step, but the cost/process has been detering me.

The application process was simple, however, in the end I decided not to attend due to cost restrictions, so I fully understand your apprehension, but I really wanted to. It was to the Applied Analytics Masters at SPS Columbia Uni.

I think UTRGV is a very good option. They are awarding 3500 scholarship for newly admitted students (Must maintain GPA of 3.0). The payments for that are 6 installments. So in the end the programme should cost just 12k and I hope to apply for more scholarships to make it even lower.

(08-20-2019, 08:34 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I think business analytics is a great field because you are using mathematics to solve business problems.  Many people who make business decisions such as people I worked with at Qwest and Sprint simply made moronic decisions that could have easily been challenged using math and common sense.  You would be a very attractive candidate with those skills.

What's your Experience like at Bellevue Uni? I thought about them for this programme.

So I am still waiting for the Dean to approve my degree plan. How it works is you can transfer in 12 credits of other graduate work or do a PLA. Then you choose which courses you would like to complete your degree of what they offer and you must put a rationale behind your choices. Then the adviser takes the proposal to the Dean for degree approval. Upon approval you then must take three one credit courses to create your own portfolio each semester on how your learning will apply to your work life. A great way to escape research methods and a capstone.

The semester starts Monday and I'm not holding my breath that the Dean will have signed off on my program by then. Another semester off wouldn't be bad as I could finish my Accounting Certificate at Ashworth College during that time.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
(08-20-2019, 04:26 PM)martialartist Wrote: So, I was just accepted into the University of Texas Rio Grand Valley Masters in Business Analytics (AACSB-accredited). I completed my MBA at ENMU.EDU two years ago and now want to add to my journey with a data driven masters. the programme is not particularly cheap at 472.43 per credit (33), but certainly not a bad name to add to one's resume. I have been accepted to every programme applied for since Excelsior, Including Columbia Uni.

What are your thoughts about this programme, I know GATECH offer a much cheaper option with great name recognition on Udacity and Coursera. I have been tempted to pursue NAU masters in computer information technology with focus in data analytics which cost 3k for a 6 months subscription. Any thoughts?

Have you started the program yet at Texas Rio Grand Valley Masters in Busines Analytics? I have plans to start in the summer and wanted to hear if it is a good program from someone who has started.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 273 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 494 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 266 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,097 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,974 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,625 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 521 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,591 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,134 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,275 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3