Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters from BS ( Ag related)
I had someone ask how they could get a Masters degree from a Bachelors of Science in Turf grass management with a minor in Landscape Ornamental Technology. ( NC State )   Shew that's a mouth full. They work for the state and can't go in administration without a masters, They're currently in management. Thanks so much for ideas or shared knowledge.
 uncapentin's mama
Umm, can't they just get an MBA with a general management focus or something similar? I don't think there are many Masters in Turf Grass Management or Landscape Ornamental Technology (if at all any). I highly suggest since they have an Associates and/or just a Bachelors degree with that major/minor concentration, it's best to just get the MBA or Masters with Management/Leadership... Have them take a look at WGU, they're highly recommended if that someone has a few years of experience under their belt...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • uncapentin
I agree; an MBA is probably the best/only way that they'll be able to get a master's of some kind. They might want to get an ENEB degree to practice the MBA concepts with before moving on to an American MBA at WGU or elsewhere.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • uncapentin
OP, is this person wanting a specific master’s degree?  

A cursory google search shows many online masters degrees in closely related fields (turfgrass management, horticulture, agriculture, environmental management, etc), including a number that can be completed for under $20,000.

NC State is a fine school, so assuming the person’s grades aren’t absolutely terrible, they should have no trouble getting into of the graduate business programs (MBA, Management/Organizational Leadership, etc) that are often discussed on this board.  Likewise, with decent grades and a degree from a well-known school (particularly for agriculture-related study) and work/leadership experience,  they shouldn’t have too much trouble getting into a more specialized masters program.

I didn’t see any MBAs with a turf management focus or horticulture focus, but there are online MBAs with agriculture/agribusiness concentrations.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • jch, uncapentin
The question that seemed to be asked was "what kind of Master's degree does this very specific Bachelor's degree allow person X to obtain?" If that is the question, the answer is "a lot" and the recommendation (especially if wanting to move to management) is probably an MBA or Org Leadership degree of some kind.

If the friend is instead looking for a specific Master's degree to do with agriculture, freeloader has some good advice.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, uncapentin
You guys are awesome. Yes, the question basically was, " What kind of Masters could I get?" I think he was of the belief that it had to stay within the realm of his BS. I told him I didn't think it did but I would check with those who would know because I had done zero research into that area. I showed him the Masters through Yourpace-UMPI which is in leadership. He doesn't need a specific masters to advance, just a masters in general. I will forward him everything that has been said here. He has been in his field for many years so work experience is there. I know he'd like a program that he can work through without it being lengthy and on a stringent schedule. He works all the time. ( thus probably doesn't love the idea of going back with NC State.)
  Thanks so much.
(12-02-2021, 09:05 AM)uncapentin Wrote: You guys are awesome. Yes, the question basically was, " What kind of Masters could I get?" I think he was of the belief that it had to stay within the realm of his BS. I told him I didn't think it did but I would check with those who would know because I had done zero research into that area. I showed him the Masters through Yourpace-UMPI which is in leadership. He doesn't need a specific masters to advance, just a masters in general. I will forward him everything that has been said here. He has been in his field for many years so work experience is there. I know he'd like a program that he can work through without it being lengthy and on a stringent schedule. He works all the time. ( thus probably doesn't love the idea of going back with NC State.)
  Thanks so much.
I looked up the current degree plan for turfgrass mgmt at NCState (I do understand that these things change), but it includes the normal liberal arts core, with some business classes, and a good bit of science and agri. science coursework. 

They should be in a good place to be admitted for a degree in the science/ag area or the business area. There are plenty of other fields (such as education or leadership) where one can earn a master’s degree without specific prerequisite coursework. 

If they decide to do business (MBA, MS in Management, for instance), worth noting that some universities have long list of prerequisites, some have a short list (such as a basic course in each of accounting, general business/management, economics, finance, and statistics), and there are schools with zero prerequisites (other than, say, a bachelors degree and so many years of work experience). 

If he is still on NC, UNC-Pembroke and Fayetteville State offer some of the lowest (in-state) tuition rates for online MBAs.  I don’t remember anybody on the board having experience with these programs, but there might be. 

One other note: the UMPI master’s degree is, based on many comments made here, still a work in progress and a LOT of work to get through. If you/they are thinking CBE Management and Leadership degree, the collective wisdom seems to be to look at WGU instead.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(12-02-2021, 10:47 AM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 09:05 AM)uncapentin Wrote: You guys are awesome. Yes, the question basically was, " What kind of Masters could I get?" I think he was of the belief that it had to stay within the realm of his BS. I told him I didn't think it did but I would check with those who would know because I had done zero research into that area. I showed him the Masters through Yourpace-UMPI which is in leadership. He doesn't need a specific masters to advance, just a masters in general. I will forward him everything that has been said here. He has been in his field for many years so work experience is there. I know he'd like a program that he can work through without it being lengthy and on a stringent schedule. He works all the time. ( thus probably doesn't love the idea of going back with NC State.)
  Thanks so much.
I looked up the current degree plan for turfgrass mgmt at NCState (I do understand that these things change), but it includes the normal liberal arts core, with some business classes, and a good bit of science and agri. science coursework. 

They should be in a good place to be admitted for a degree in the science/ag area or the business area. There are plenty of other fields (such as education or leadership) where one can earn a master’s degree without specific prerequisite coursework. 

If they decide to do business (MBA, MS in Management, for instance), worth noting that some universities have long list of prerequisites, some have a short list (such as a basic course in each of accounting, general business/management, economics, finance, and statistics), and there are schools with zero prerequisites (other than, say, a bachelors degree and so many years of work experience). 

If he is still on NC, UNC-Pembroke and Fayetteville State offer some of the lowest (in-state) tuition rates for online MBAs.  I don’t remember anybody on the board having experience with these programs, but there might be. 

One other note: the UMPI master’s degree is, based on many comments made here, still a work in progress and a LOT of work to get through. If you/they are thinking CBE Management and Leadership degree, the collective wisdom seems to be to look at WGU instead.
  Very good thoughts on this ! The pre-req's are one of the things he wasn't clear on and how that works. Looking at UNC Pembroke and Fayetteville is a great idea and I will have him do that along with WGU. I showed him the one through yourpace only because I had just seen it myself while working on the plan for the BAS some of y'all have advised on. So much help !
UMPI's Master is NOT great. Don't go for that. Member ashkir went through it and it's a ridiculous amount of work for only a Master's degree. WGU or Walden would be better choices.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Pikachu
(12-02-2021, 12:25 PM)rachel83az Wrote: UMPI's Master is NOT great. Don't go for that. Member ashkir went through it and it's a ridiculous amount of work for only a Master's degree. WGU or Walden would be better choice.
  Point taken ! I will advise exactly that as " a ridiculous amount of work" is what he hopes to avoid ! Thanks so much !

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bachelors Psychology to Masters advice Nexum 5 346 11 hours ago
Last Post: BELEEMA
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 178 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Affordable Online Masters degrees related to biology NotJoeBiden 6 458 01-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 9 679 01-04-2024, 05:24 PM
  Masters Degree Planning TomatoLettuce 3 573 11-04-2023, 12:13 PM
Last Post: TomatoLettuce
  BA from UMPI -> ENEB Masters? ecdw94 8 1,101 10-12-2023, 10:02 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Computer Science, then Masters to-the-Masters! 49 2,895 09-13-2023, 11:12 AM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Looking into language teaching related degrees aperantosbias 38 1,963 09-03-2023, 10:27 AM
Last Post: aperantosbias
  IT related degree for non-us student Rozmars 22 1,922 08-25-2023, 04:03 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Pearson Accelerated, Masters Tbear 4 526 08-18-2023, 06:47 PM