Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters help I hate writing papers
Exclamation 
Any advice will help. First off I am a I despise writing papers. I have started one class at Amberton university. I am in the Master of professional development.  I need the quickest and way to get through this without having to write so many papers. I was looking at Waldens I/O tempo program but I’m unsure home much writing is involved with it. I do understand that some writing will have to be done I’m just not a strong writer. OR any advice on any other masters degrees. I am open to changing majors. I do like leadership and Organizational leadership. Anyway I’m lost.

Amberton University- taking one class now 2020
CDA - 2019
SNHU -BA in General Studies- Minior-Human Resource Management.
Albany Technical College-GED-Diploma Dental Assistant-AS degree Health Studies.
(04-24-2020, 04:24 PM)angellicarob Wrote: Any advice will help. First off I am a I despise writing papers. I have started one class at Amberton university. I am in the Master of professional development.  I need the quickest and way to get through this without having to write so many papers. I was looking at Waldens I/O tempo program but I’m unsure home much writing is involved with it. I do understand that some writing will have to be done I’m just not a strong writer. OR any advice on any other masters degrees. I am open to changing majors. I do like leadership and Organizational leadership. Anyway I’m lost.

CDA - 2019
I have not done Walden Tempo. But I've heard from multiple posts on the this fourm about multiple degrees that Walden Tempo is writing intensive.

Particularly the I/O pysch I believe the post said a 10-15 page paper per credit.

A masters degree at any level will require writing some papers, some more than others.

Why are you getting a masters degree and can it be any any major or school?
I got my Professional Development MA from Amberton.

What's great about that program is that you have a ton of classes you can choose from.

Before selecting your next class, look at the syllabi for all the ones offered. Each syllabus for the class will show you whether it is more test-heavy or writing-based.

For instance, when I had to take the Ethics course, I saw that there were 3 classes available, each with different professors.

I looked at each syllabus for all 3.
1 was very test-heavy and not too much writing.
1 was half and half.
And the other 1 was all writing.

Personally, I like writing over tests, so I chose Option # 3. But in your case, you could pick Option # 1.

So for now, I say: stick with Amberton, and be very selective on which classes you take, and which professors you take them with based on the syllabi.
[-] The following 1 user Likes kevinmane's post:
  • suzycupcake
(04-24-2020, 05:06 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 04:24 PM)angellicarob Wrote: Any advice will help. First off I am a I despise writing papers. I have started one class at Amberton university. I am in the Master of professional development.  I need the quickest and way to get through this without having to write so many papers. I was looking at Waldens I/O tempo program but I’m unsure home much writing is involved with it. I do understand that some writing will have to be done I’m just not a strong writer. OR any advice on any other masters degrees. I am open to changing majors. I do like leadership and Organizational leadership. Anyway I’m lost.

CDA - 2019
I have not done Walden Tempo. But I've heard from multiple posts on the this fourm about multiple degrees that Walden Tempo is writing intensive.

Particularly the I/O pysch I believe the post said a 10-15 page paper per credit.

A masters degree at any level will require writing some papers, some more than others.

Why are you getting a masters degree and can it be any any major or school?

Right now I just really want a masters that is all no special degree.  Any major any school

(04-24-2020, 05:11 PM)kevinmane Wrote: I got my Professional Development MA from Amberton.

What's great about that program is that you have a ton of classes you can choose from.

Before selecting your next class, look at the syllabi for all the ones offered. Each syllabus for the class will show you whether it is more test-heavy or writing-based.

For instance, when I had to take the Ethics course, I saw that there were 3 classes available, each with different professors.

I looked at each syllabus for all 3.
1 was very test-heavy and not too much writing.
1 was half and half.
And the other 1 was all writing.

Personally, I like writing over tests, so I chose Option # 3. But in your case, you could pick Option # 1.

So for now, I say: stick with Amberton, and be very selective on which classes you take, and which professors you take them with based on the syllabi.

Thanks I will do that for the next semester thanks for the information.
While it sounds like there are ways to reduce the amount of writing at Amberton, generally any graduate degree requires a ton of writing. As mentioned above, some degrees are more writing intensive than others, but you should expect a lot of writing one way or another.

If you're not good at writing, you'll become good at it before you're done. That or you'll drop out.

When I started my college journey, I was in a similar boat to you. I preferred exams to papers, but mostly because I didn't feel like I was a particularly strong academic writer so I avoided it whenever I could. I'd done a lot of technical writing for work, but for a restricted audience and I relied heavily on automatic grammar support from my word processor. After completing the English 1 and 2 courses and a Library Science course, I started feeling better about it but still dreaded papers. Once I hit my undergrad capstone it was "sink or swim" time since it was almost 100% writing. Finishing that is what prepared me for my master's degree, and by that point, I discovered that I now prefer writing assignments to exams. In fact, I'm now looking at Ph.D. programs, which means 3-6 years of research and writing academic papers, plus a published 75-150 page dissertation.

So, believe me, once you relax and get used to writing it will become much less onerous. You might want to consider taking a writing class or something as a refresher and to help build writing confidence.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 5 users Like Merlin's post:
  • Ideas, Jonathan Whatley, jsd, suzycupcake, Vle045
(04-24-2020, 07:57 PM)Merlin Wrote: While it sounds like there are ways to reduce the amount of writing at Amberton, generally any graduate degree requires a ton of writing. As mentioned above, some degrees are more writing intensive than others, but you should expect a lot of writing one way or another.

If you're not good at writing, you'll become good at it before you're done. That or you'll drop out.

When I started my college journey, I was in a similar boat to you. I preferred exams to papers, but mostly because I didn't feel like I was a particularly strong academic writer so I avoided it whenever I could. I'd done a lot of technical writing for work, but for a restricted audience and I relied heavily on automatic grammar support from my word processor. After completing the English 1 and 2 courses and a Library Science course, I started feeling better about it but still dreaded papers. Once I hit my undergrad capstone it was "sink or swim" time since it was almost 100% writing. Finishing that is what prepared me for my master's degree, and by that point, I discovered that I now prefer writing assignments to exams. In fact, I'm now looking at Ph.D. programs, which means 3-6 years of research and writing academic papers, plus a published 75-150 page dissertation.

So, believe me, once you relax and get used to writing it will become much less onerous. You might want to consider taking a writing class or something as a refresher and to help build writing confidence.

Thanks so much for the advice and tip and to let me know I am not alone and can overcome this since one day I will want to pursue a PHD program. I will definitely look into some writing classes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes angellicarob's post:
  • suzycupcake
(04-22-2021, 08:48 AM)darel aranovski Wrote: Tell me, in what specialties can problems arise like yours? I just recently came to your country and I want to go to college. And my weakest point is this letter as a whole. I also do not want to face such problems. Reading your posts, it seems to me that an emigrant cannot submit a replacement for a technical letter if he does not know the language. What do you think?
Practice, learn, practice more. Improve yourself, is not an empthy recommendation. Nobody arrived to writte well without effort.
If you need courses take them. Then, at ine point you will be there. No problem anymore. You want to work to arrive to your aim studies? Or better pick up something you will probably not be interested just to avoid some work...in the end the degree is a learning progress, just like improving your writting needs.

Sent from my NX591J using DegreeForum.net mobile app
I used to be great at writing papers. They saved me in some classes. I used to know how to seriously fake my way through a paper. I once got an A on a book report in college on a book that I never read. I took the approach of dissecting the title of the book and all the meanings behind the words “The Temple of my Familiar”. I hear it was a great book. And a prequel (?) to “The Color Purple” (never read that either nor saw the movie). But I could find references throughout the book to relate to “temple” and “familiar”. The professor even commented that it was the best paper she had read on that book.

..... but that was in 1993.....

And here I am today. Haven’t written a paper since 1997..... and I am dreading it.

But, if I want to complete any masters degree, I am going to have to get over it.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-22-2021, 08:48 AM)darel aranovski Wrote: Tell me, in what specialties can problems arise like yours? I just recently came to your country and I want to go to college. And my weakest point is this letter as a whole. I also do not want to face such problems. Reading your posts, it seems to me that an emigrant cannot submit a replacement for a technical letter if he does not know the language. What do you think?

Many communities have free adult education programs specifically for immigrants that can help prepare you to enter community college remedial/foundational courses in English. They help people in your situation to learn the language, and then there are foundational courses in writing and academic writing. You will have to take these classes before beginning your degree work, because you need to be proficient in the language in order to earn a degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes monchevy's post:
  • Vle045
(04-22-2021, 11:16 AM)Vle045 Wrote: And here I am today.  Haven’t written a paper since 1997..... and I am dreading it.

You've already purchased the ENEB degree and you're doing Walden so you'll have papers to write there. But if you want to get in some "easy" practice, you could sign up for ASU's English Composition courses as a refresher. ENG 101 is self-paced: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/english-composition-eng-101/ ENG 102 begins in June: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/english-composition-eng-102/

If you're only taking them for personal development (not for credit), it doesn't cost anything.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 284 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 497 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 271 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,099 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,978 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,635 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 524 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,593 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,137 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,276 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3