Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters in Criminal Justice Transfer Credits
I got a friend that got 18 graduate criminal justice credits from a good state university but never finished his degree because he could not pass the comprehensive exam and wanted to try and transfer them to a program to finish fast.

The best program so far I had found was excelsior college which takes up to 15 criminal justice graduate credits towards the 30 needed for the MS in criminal Justice. 

Does anyone know of any other school that will accept 15-18 criminal justice credits and is only a 30 credit program?

Some notable programs I suggested were Liberty University and Walden University but they require way more credits to finish. He is looking for a 30 credit program so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Amberton will take up to 12 credits. Their program is 36. https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html

AFAIK, that's probably the best chance that your friend will have. Graduate credits aren't very transferable.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Walden would be my first choice as it's a competency based degree offering, the MSCJ and if they finish in 1 term, it's under $3 grand... if he can transfer in all of those credits that is. Otherwise finishing in two terms would be cheap anyways for a Masters at $6K... the second choice would actually be Amberton's program mentioned above, the degree will end up at $285x24=$6840.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-07-2021, 02:23 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Amberton will take up to 12 credits. Their program is 36. https://www.amberton.edu/programs-and-co...tails.html

AFAIK, that's probably the best chance that your friend will have. Graduate credits aren't very transferable.

He was looking for a 30 credit criminal justice program. He will be taking two classes at a time so wanted like programs that are 6-9 weeks each. Ill suggest it to him thanks!

(04-07-2021, 02:30 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Walden would be my first choice as it's a competency based degree offering, the MSCJ and if they finish in 1 term, it's under $3 grand... if he can transfer in all of those credits that is.  Otherwise finishing in two terms would be cheap anyways for a Masters at $6K... the second choice would actually be Amberton's program mentioned above, the degree will end up at $285x24=$6840.

His problem with Walden is that their program is 48 credits...
Ah, I usually tell people not to look at the amount of credits but the number of courses required to graduate. Looking at that number is a little confusing as there are schools on the semester hour and the ones on the quarter system. Most Bachelors will require 120 semester hours or credits/units, on the quarter system, they require 180.

For the Masters, most will be around 30 credits on the semester system, but Walden and a few use the quarter system, so it'll be 45 credits. Because the Walden program is 48 quarter system hour credits, that will equate to 31 semester hours. In other words, it's still the same "10 courses" required as if he goes to another university.

Graduate transfer credits are an entirely different world compared to undergrad. Master's programs generally only allow about a third of the required credits to be transferred in. This is even the case at schools with very liberal undergrad credit acceptance policies. If Excelsior would allow half of their program to be satisfied through transfers, that is likely the best option out there.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
(04-07-2021, 04:25 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Ah, I usually tell people not to look at the amount of credits but the number of courses required to graduate.  Looking at that number is a little confusing as there are schools on the semester hour and the ones on the quarter system.  Most Bachelors will require 120 semester hours or credits/units, on the quarter system, they require 180.  

For the Masters, most will be around 30 credits on the semester system, but Walden and a few use the quarter system, so it'll be 45 credits.   Because the Walden program is 48 quarter system hour credits, that will equate to 31 semester hours.  In other words, it's still the same "10 courses" required as if he goes to another university.

I had a chance to speak with him last night he wants to know how to conversion of credit hours go since that system at Walden University uses Quarterly semester hour system.

(04-07-2021, 04:47 PM)jch Wrote: Graduate transfer credits are an entirely different world compared to undergrad. Master's programs generally only allow about a third of the required credits to be transferred in. This is even the case at schools with very liberal undergrad credit acceptance policies. If Excelsior would allow half of their program to be satisfied through transfers, that is likely the best option out there.

totally agree they are a dime a dozen.
Walden does accept up to to half the program. 24 out of the 48 credits. But it is quarter hours so similar to the 30 semester hours. So if your friends' courses all counted. They would only have to do half of the masters. And its competency-based so depending on their work experience and knowledge it could be knocked out quickly. Walden seems like the fastest and cheapest option assuming they accept your credits.

I'd at least apply to Walden and see what happens.
@OP - As I explained earlier, as an example for a Bachelors, as per above post, 180 quarter credits is 120 semester hours - essentially, quarter credits are 1.5 the amount of semester credits, so 1.5=1 credit, 4.5=3 credits - 180 quarter credits is 120 credits for the Bachelors. Another example as per above - Masters is 48 quarter credits, that's exactly 32 semester hours. I highly recommend people not to worry about quarter or semester numbers, just look at the courses required as there are so many on the semester hour and many others on the quarter system - it's the same number at most schools - 10 for Masters, 40 for Bachelors.

(04-07-2021, 02:14 PM)newdegree Wrote: I got a friend that got 18 graduate criminal justice credits from a good state university but never finished his degree because he could not pass the comprehensive exam and wanted to try and transfer them to a program to finish fast.

The best program so far I had found was excelsior college which takes up to 15 criminal justice graduate credits towards the 30 needed for the MS in criminal Justice. 

Does anyone know of any other school that will accept 15-18 criminal justice credits and is only a 30 credit program?

Some notable programs I suggested were Liberty University and Walden University but they require way more credits to finish. He is looking for a 30 credit program so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't know if your friend has finalized any decisions, but I think the MA in Criminal Justice at American Public University could also be another option. The total program is 36. They will accept up to 15 credits up to 10 years, but I believe it's something like they accept the 8 year old credits and you have 2 years to complete a degree as all credits, transferred and completed at APU, have to be completed within 10 years.

The rest of the credit are $370 or $250 w/ military grant. $65 tech fee per course/ $0 for active duty military or national guard. And it looks like books are included.

https://www.apu.apus.edu/academic/school...stice.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 3 268 03-23-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Wnt2BLPC
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 491 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 2 199 03-18-2024, 03:29 AM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 264 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,094 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,170 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 2,973 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,619 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 520 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas