Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Masters of Professional Studies? Disccussion
So I have been looking at Infosec/related degrees using this site as a guideline and initial starting point for research Cyber Security Masters Degrees Online | Search for Schools

I live in the Washington DC, DMV area

Criteria for Grad school

1. local
2. under 40,000$
3. has a good reputation
4. No GRE/Gmat required
5. Brick and Mortar
6. Can take a hybrid of in-class or online
7. Networking capabilities

I discovered some great schools and offerings. A lot of them had some sort of degree in CS.

1. Georgetown University - School of Continuing Studies Masters Professional Studies Technology Management - Concentration Information Security or Project Management (might be interested in that as well) Master roughly 38k

2. George Washington University Online Master of Professional Studies in Cybersecurity Strategy and Information Management https://cps.gwu.edu/cyber-operations/cou...on/tuition Cost 37k

3. University of Maryland Baltimore County Master's of Professional Studies: Cybersecurity Cybersecurity at UMBC Cost 22k

4. Towson University - Masters, Applied Information Technology Information Security and Assurance (Not MPS) but, interesting program. 17k 529 per credit in-state - Graduate Admissions | Towson University

I have noticed a trend with the MPS programs, the admission requirements do not seem very rigorous, no GRE/GMAT requirement, they seem to accept students multiple times a year. A lot of major universities seem to have them.

Is anyone pursuing a M.P.S and willing to share your experience? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Also does anyone have any insight on how employers would view these types of degrees?

Sidenote: I need to make an excel sheet and start figuring out all the requirements, deadlines, cost, potential scholarship info.
Question for the experts- Do you know how to get hiring/ recruitment data for individual graduate school programs? If I knew how strong the recruitment effort is for some of these programs than I could calculate a potential ROI.

One would think that the Georgetown name would boost my resume, but is it worth 20k more than a degree from Towson. A not-as-known Maryland state school.

Update: interesting link explaining the MPS at Georgetown http://scs.georgetown.edu/what-is-mps-degree/
This isn't on your list but it's a pretty good one in my experience:
Cyber Security Degree & Programs | George Mason University

Cost is above your limit (50k) but that includes 2 trips, CES in Las Vegas and either Blackhat in Vegas or a 1wk Global Residency meeting foreign cyber leaders. PWC and Deloitte seem to like the program as well as local Fed Gov/DOD. Networking opportunities seem pretty good from what I've seen. Program is all day Sat in Arlington with some classes online as well. Capstone project is to present a cyber security idea you come up with to local tech leadership from industry and government.
johnw Wrote:This isn't on your list but it's a pretty good one in my experience:
Cyber Security Degree & Programs | George Mason University

Cost is above your limit (50k) but that includes 2 trips, CES in Las Vegas and either Blackhat in Vegas or a 1wk Global Residency meeting foreign cyber leaders. PWC and Deloitte seem to like the program as well as local Fed Gov/DOD. Networking opportunities seem pretty good from what I've seen. Program is all day Sat in Arlington with some classes online as well. Capstone project is to present a cyber security idea you come up with to local tech leadership from industry and government.

Interesting. I read your original post about this program The program looks fantastic. It requires 3 years of experience, which I do not have.

Btw John do you have tips on how to research which companies like which programs? I am clueless but I see you mention Price Waterhouse seem to be interested in students from your program.
I'd recommend searching linkedin for the exact degree title you are looking at as program reputation means more than the school reputation as a whole. Honestly for this one I didn't realize the kind of interest in the program until I saw the participation (a Deloitte Director is a adjunct and the head of PWC's security assessment (pentesting) division gave a presentation to class. Also some of the students are from these types of companies too. For the 3 years of experience it's not a black and white situation. I had a career field (non-IT/computer security) that could benefit from me attending and that was enough. Just have to be willing to highlight the relevancy in your application essay/interview.
johnw Wrote:I'd recommend searching linkedin for the exact degree title you are looking at as program reputation means more than the school reputation as a whole. Honestly for this one I didn't realize the kind of interest in the program until I saw the participation (a Deloitte Director is a adjunct and the head of PWC's security assessment (pentesting) division gave a presentation to class. Also some of the students are from these types of companies too. For the 3 years of experience it's not a black and white situation. I had a career field (non-IT/computer security) that could benefit from me attending and that was enough. Just have to be willing to highlight the relevancy in your application essay/interview.

I will apply this summer for the next cohort. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 8 655 04-16-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: eLearner
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 442 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 645 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 362 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,222 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,113 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,810 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 580 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,781 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  Summary of ENEB Masters in Big Data and Business Intelligence Pinko64 4 1,215 02-04-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: housecat