Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Masters online cybersecurity options?
@deuce2w - Right now I am looking at cheap options first, $5,500 a year is my limit with one class a semester, or about $550 a credit hour.

@cookderosa - I read it also as you can apply anywhere, my concern is they specifically say the overwhelming majority will be in the Washington, DC, metropolitan area. I just wonder how many jobs and how widespread they are outside of DC. Don't get me wrong the scholarship looks fantastic, it would probably still be worth it even if it would mean temporarily relocating.
Dumb question - even if you can't finish an entire program at WGU, wouldn't it be worth it to sign up for 1 class there (i.e. 1 term) and take as many courses as you can? Even if you don't completely finish, you're still way way ahead of just taking a single course at one of the other schools. It's under the limit for what your company will pay, and then you can probably put your degree on hold until a year is up and you can reenroll for another term and finish the rest of the courses (or as many as possible).

With something like 36cr (12 courses) as kind of the average, it will certainly take you a very long time to get through the program at any other school: 12 years is a long time, and I think most computer-related programs won't let you drag your degree program out that long, there's a time limit on most masters degrees, and computer degrees have an even shorter time-frame.

Just something to keep in mind. It just kind of looks like you're saying you won't take multiple courses at WGU because you can't finish an entire degree in a single term, but you're willing to take courses somewhere else 1 per year for 12 years. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it just sounds weird to me.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Dumb question - even if you can't finish an entire program at WGU, wouldn't it be worth it to sign up for 1 class there (i.e. 1 term) and take as many courses as you can? Even if you don't completely finish, you're still way way ahead of just taking a single course at one of the other schools. It's under the limit for what your company will pay, and then you can probably put your degree on hold until a year is up and you can reenroll for another term and finish the rest of the courses (or as many as possible).

With something like 36cr (12 courses) as kind of the average, it will certainly take you a very long time to get through the program at any other school: 12 years is a long time, and I think most computer-related programs won't let you drag your degree program out that long, there's a time limit on most masters degrees, and computer degrees have an even shorter time-frame.

Just something to keep in mind. It just kind of looks like you're saying you won't take multiple courses at WGU because you can't finish an entire degree in a single term, but you're willing to take courses somewhere else 1 per year for 12 years. Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but it just sounds weird to me.

Not a dumb question, the way things are worded for reimbursement is "Company expense is limited to one course per quarter/trimester/semester".

For most schools it looks like I could take three classes a year, so it would take four years for 12 classes.

I am not sure if my work would approve the WGU model of paying by term instead of by class, as well as WGU not giving an actual "grade".

I could ask them to see what they say, but I would still like to weigh the other options.

Four years is still a while, so I may be giving preference to programs that require 30 credits instead of 36, or if there is a program that I can transfer cheap credit into.
edwardfurlong Wrote:Not a dumb question, the way things are worded for reimbursement is "Company expense is limited to one course per quarter/trimester/semester".

For most schools it looks like I could take three classes a year, so it would take four years for 12 classes.

I am not sure if my work would approve the WGU model of paying by term instead of by class, as well as WGU not giving an actual "grade".

I could ask them to see what they say, but I would still like to weigh the other options.

Four years is still a while, so I may be giving preference to programs that require 30 credits instead of 36, or if there is a program that I can transfer cheap credit into.

I think at WGU, they understand the company reimbursement thing, and will bill you for 1 course at the term cost. Then, if you take additional courses it's basically like they're "free." They discussed it on one of the threads here fairly recently.

Not sure about the grade situation though.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 673 1 hour ago
Last Post: MichiganMax
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 3 54 1 hour ago
Last Post: jg_nuy
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 442 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 27 17,484 04-07-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: David1477
  New Zealand Online Degrees doyouhowdo1 1 334 03-31-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 596 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 492 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 646 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 364 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,224 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda