Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matching Exams to Courses
Hey all,

I've been trying to research as much as possible on the degree-by-examination but I'm running into one question I can seem to find an answer to: How do I know which CLEP/TECEP/DSST/ect to take in order to fulfill each required course.

Some background on my situation:
I'm a lab technician working in the corrosion engineering field and I'm looking to get a B.S. asap in my free time so that I can get my FE and then PE certifications.
I have one semester of CC credits:
College Reading: 4
College Algebra: 4

From what I've found:
TESU is the only college that has a relevant ABET accredited engineering degree (B.S. Electrical Systems Engineering) which aligns with my main goal. Also, as an added cherry they offer dual degree concentration; to which, I plan on utilizing to also add Construction to my degree. From the TESU website I put together this course plan (Attached) for the required credits. This now brings my to my initial question, which tests will count for these respective classes. 

Thanks a ton to everyone who can help out, this has really been rattling my brain. All information is appreciated I'm a complete novice to this whole concept.

Course plan attached.

Attached Files
.txt   College Plan.txt (Size: 2.87 KB / Downloads: 16)
https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/c...am-program

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/dsst

TESU is pretty transparent about what each test equates to.
I'm assuming you're planning to take courses at TESU, maybe on the comprehensive tuition plan? Make sure all of the courses you need are actually offered by TESU. A number of their degrees are designed assuming the student is already coming in with credit from the military or other sources. I would not be surprised if not all of the EE courses are available to take, which would mean you have to find them elsewhere and transfer.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
You may want to PLA some of the courses. PLA is basically proving that you have the same knowledge, by showing photos of work projects, letters from supervisors, etc. But it does require a lot of writing.

Seems like a lot of the construction courses wouldn't be possible to take online, but you'd have to look around.

The engineering (and construction courses) may be more expensive than most. Since they are mostly not the kind you can find at the cheapest schools.

TESU does offer all the courses required for the ABET electronic engineering technology program. I'm not sure if the same can be said for construction. You could certainly use CLEP/DSST/TECEP for a lot of your gen Ed requirements. Take note that some will require labs

Computer Concepts (CIS-107) or above
(3)
Statistics
(3)
Calculus I
(3)
Calculus II
(3)
Physics I with Lab
(4)
Physics II with Lab
(4)
Chemistry I with Lab
(4)
Computer Programming or Programmable Logic Controllers
(3)
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • Yenisei
The degree you want definitely isn't about to be tested out of via alternative credits for much of it. This would be one where you could test out of everything you can find for testing:
- 56cr of Gen Ed's including the requirements
- 15cr of Free Electives
- 9cr of AOS (Network Technology, Quality Management, Project Management)

That leaves 40cr that can't be tested out of. If you took Physics II w/Lab somewhere fairly cheap, that would leave you with exactly 36cr of courses that would have to be taken at TESU - and if you did the Comprehensive Enrollment plan, you could get all those done, although you would only have a year to do it, which might be tough, but would be doable if you really applied yourself.

The Construction degree can't be tested out of at all (except the 60cr of Gen Ed and 15cr of Free Electives, and TESU doesn't offer all (or maybe even any) of the courses needed for that degree. So unless you were able to PLA 45cr of AOS courses, that wouldn't be a degree you could get at TESU. But if you could do that, you could actually get a dual degree, since they are from the same "school" at TESU. All Gen Ed's, Free Electives, and the Project Management exam would apply to both degrees, and I think even the capstone would apply to both, so you'd need 39cr from the degree.

Anyway, I think your best bet is to start on the courses for Gen Ed and Free Electives, and the 3 AOS courses that can be done via test-out, and see what you think. It's easy to say that you want a particular degree, but until you actually start the process, it's hard to see what you're willing to pay/do to finish. You might decide that a BSBA is the better way to go (certainly easier), or you might decide that you really do want the engineering degree and go for it. But I wouldn't recommend paying tens of thousands of dollars for a comprehensive tuition plan when you aren't bringing in a bunch of credits and already know that you can do the work - which you would prove to yourself by completing the Gen Ed's and Free Electives.

Good luck.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 3,962 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,769 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 734 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 787 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 576 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 679 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 298 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 584 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 458 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,556 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77