Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math for TESU BSBA Finance (MAT121 or MAT119)
Hi,

I am currently taking study.com's Stats 101 to fill STA-201 requirement.  I also need to take either MAT121 (College Algebra) or MAT119 (Quant. Business Analysis).

I am curious if anyone has any thoughts on their experience with these classes. 

Here is my situation.
I don't remember algebra - full stop.
I work full-time and am only 12 courses away from my degree. It is this one course that gives me the most concern. I have a stretch goal to graduate by September.

I started college algebra on study.com a while ago.  I made it to the third or fourth quiz before deciding to move on to other courses in the interest of time.  Prior to this I tried to use Aleks.  I like they way they teach the material, but is still taking forever. I am currently using Aleks for "Algebra Readiness".  This is going fine, but I am only up to 233/393 topics and I am not sure this will be enough to prep me for the actual class I need.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on College Algebra vs. the Quant. Business Analysis and where best to take the course, I would appreciate it.

Gloddy
Gloddy practically mirrored my own situation, only a month earlier. Did anyone have any thoughts or advice here?
I have no advice as to where to take a course, but I definitely recommend Khan Academy if you're trying to get up to speed or having difficulty with various math concepts.
(03-17-2018, 10:11 AM)Zavala Wrote: Gloddy practically mirrored my own situation, only a month earlier.  Did anyone have any thoughts or advice here?

Zavala,

When I started College Algebra on study.com I quit after just a few chapters. The reason for me was the videos weren't doing enough to teach me what was happening.  I recently started working on MAT121 (Math 107 on study.com) and have 21% completed.  I have decided to move on for now.

I only have a handful of other courses left before the capstone which I will have to take through TESU.  My goal is to chip away at it over the next couple of weeks while focusing on other things.

This whole thing makes me feel dumb. I was able to get through stats without too much trouble.  I completed ACC101 in two days (2 long days).  I started Finance 101 today and was able to get through 40% of the quizzes without trouble.  I just can't seem to get through either of these two Math Classes.

I can't afford to allow this one course to take 3 months to complete. I am considering bringing in a tutor to help.

If you come up with any good ideas, please share. I will do the same.

Gloddy
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
For a BSBA at TESU (I'm assuming the requirements are the same for BSBA's regardless of concentration), what is the easiest math class that fulfills the requirement? I also do not remember Algebra. Would something like College Math or Liberal Arts Math count?
Gloddy, did you look at Math 107: Quantitative Literacy on Study.com? According to their website it transfers into TESU as MAT-119 : Quantitative Business Analysis. Should meet the overall requirement.

This is what I am going to tackle next week. While there is an algebra component, it looks like half or more of the material covers easier topics like ratios, estimating, area, perimeter, volume... and it seems to overlap about 20% with Statistics, which I already took.

Seems to me this looks a little easier...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zavala's post:
  • Muldoon
(03-20-2018, 10:15 PM)Muldoon Wrote: For a BSBA at TESU (I'm assuming the requirements are the same for BSBA's regardless of concentration), what is the easiest math class that fulfills the requirement? I also do not remember Algebra. Would something like College Math or Liberal Arts Math count?

All the BSBA concentrations have the same math requirements they require 'Statistics' and 'College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis'.

Your examples would fall under Gen Eds, but would not meet the requirement for the BSBA. You could take them as a path to build up to College Algebra and still use the credits earned.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(03-20-2018, 10:26 PM)Zavala Wrote: Gloddy, did you look at Math 107: Quantitative Literacy on Study.com?  According to their website it transfers into TESU as MAT-119 : Quantitative Business Analysis.  Should meet the overall requirement.

This is what I am going to tackle next week.  While there is an algebra component, it looks like half or more of the material covers easier topics like ratios, estimating, area, perimeter, volume... and it seems to overlap about 20% with Statistics, which I already took.

Seems to me this looks a little easier...

That is what I am doing. I am 21% of the way through.  It is a little crazy. It went from super easy (rounding) to much more challenging (Linear Equations: Intercept, Standard Form and Graphing).  This is where I stopped.  My goal  is to just chip away at this over time. I have 8 classes left including this and the capstone.  I am working on these while doing a quiz or two here and there.

Here are the names of the topics that are next in the MATH107. This is not fun for me.
What is a Linear Equation? 
How to Write a Linear Equation 
Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing 
What is an Inequality? 
Solving Simultaneous Linear Equations 
Extrapolation & Interpolation with Line Graphs 
Equation of a Line Using Point-Slope Formula 
Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More 
How to Graph 1- and 2-Variable Inequalities 
Graphing Inequalities: Practice Problems 
Graphing Basic Functions 
Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions 
What Is Domain and Range in a Function? 
Inverse Functions 
Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function 
How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form 
How to Use the Quadratic Formula to Solve a Quadratic Equation 
How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring 
Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient 
How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse 
Completing the Square Practice Problems 
How to Complete the Square
TESU BSBA in Finance (9/14/2018) - Thanks to this Community!
Professional Designations: CIMA®, CFP®, ChFC®
Professional Registrations: FINRA Series 7, 63 & 65

Still Need:
N/A

Completed Courses: Study.com ENG104, POS102, BUS109, COM101, HIS103, NUT101, ENG105, BUS108, COMP102, HIS108, HIS106, PSY103, HIS104, STA101, LAW201, ACC101, ACC102, FIN101, COM120, BUS101, BUS102, BUS308, ECO101, BUS113; ALEKS College Algebra

B&M Schools
: Penn State (93’), Bucks County CC (94’-95’), LaSalle Univ. (02’-03’), The American College of Financial Services (16'-17'), TESU (18')
(03-21-2018, 06:32 AM)allvia Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 10:15 PM)Muldoon Wrote: For a BSBA at TESU (I'm assuming the requirements are the same for BSBA's regardless of concentration), what is the easiest math class that fulfills the requirement? I also do not remember Algebra. Would something like College Math or Liberal Arts Math count?

All the BSBA concentrations have the same math requirements they require 'Statistics' and 'College Algebra or Quantitative Business Analysis'.

Your examples would fall under Gen Eds, but would not meet the requirement for the BSBA. You could take them as a path to build up to College Algebra and still use the credits earned.

I see. Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,927 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,618 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,025 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,583 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,293 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,284 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,323 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,819 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore